Eating habits of pro cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
From twitter

Mark Cavendish
Would definitely give a customer service prize to staff in @NandosUK Loughton (don't bother insinuating I was paid to say this. I wasn't)

Edit: I've now read the article, and it was very thought provoking. Deserved better than my silly Cav-eats-Nandos response.

Last edited:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
That's a really good piece - that could apply to a lot of sports although in pro-cycling, the contemporary thinness of road riders is obvious.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Very interesting. My youngest is naturally thin, which helps him race well. I'm similar.

It's the next stage, documented here, which leads to problems. SWMBO is a Dietitian and has dealt with lots of people who have eating disorders.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Kimmage in Rough Ride also talked about riders secretly smuggling food and eating it like naughty kids smoking behind the bikesheds, away from the eye of the team director.

Also, in another book, I recall Greg LeMond finding the strict dietary restrictions of French teams completely weird, ice cream was good (or possibly bad) cheese was bad (or possibly good) ... and so on. A lot of it made no sense whatsoever.

Tyler Hamilton quoted some doctor or other (maybe Ferrari) saying that to succeed in GTs a rider needed: "To be very very fit; to be very very skinny; to have a high haematocrit." We all know how they achieved the third of these, and the first comes from genetics/hard work.

I'll see if I can look up these quotes.

DRM

Guru
I'm sure I read in Charly Wegalius' book, domestique that Italian D.S would take food off the riders during evening meals to keep the riders weight down, and that he was also permanently hungry.

DRM

Guru
Yes the riders must be burning more calories than they consume, finding food that doesn't bloat them and make them feel heavy and lethargic, and be tasty must give the team chef's a real headache, one that lasts 3 weeks.

raindog

er.....
Felice Gimondi tucking in

Gimondi_1968 giro.jpeg

Arsen Gere

Über Member
At the back of Michael Hutchinson's book he says if there were two things he'd have done differently in his career they would be to spend more time on his tt bike and pay more attention to the quality of his diet.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Wasn't there a blog by a TdF chef (or somebody) a year ago that showed what his team was eating every day? I don't know about his portion control, but it was a mouth-watering read.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
There is (or at least was) "Team Sky Chef" on Twitter (can't remember the exact handle, but it was something like that).
Søren Kristiansen, now working for MTN-Qhubeka (as currently named). Twitter handle now @TheFuelingChef. Also Hannah Grant of Tinkoff-Saxo, @dailystews.

Top Bottom