"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I an now officially at the agonising stage. I did a 94 mile day, so now my eddington number is ... 61 :sad: Diminishing returns, and all that. Or maybe "blood from a stone".

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 14.52.09.jpg

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The thing I hate about this bloody Eddington number thing is that I end up looking back at a load of rides and keep asking myself "why didn't you just do a couple more miles you idiot?"
I'm finding that as I get older, it starts to help.

I have just entered my late fifties. If I list everything out it's pretty clear where the upper limit to my final Eddington number is. A good rule of thumb to follow from now on is that whenever I ride a century, half the time I need to go on to at least 120 miles. If I can do that, all my realistic lifetime distance goals will be met.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
You guys seem to have all your stuff electronically on Strava or whatever. I've got 50+ years of handwritten stuff. Do I get a prize if I go through it all with a fine tooth comb for my Eddington number?

You guys seem to have all your stuff electronically on Strava or whatever. I've got 50+ years of handwritten stuff. Do I get a prize if I go through it all with a fine tooth comb for my Eddington number?
If you have the patience to manually log rides for 50 years, then surely you have the patience to do that :smile: I was going to say Arthur Eddington must have done the same, but he died at 61 and presumably didn't invent the number just before he died, so probably didn't have 50 years of records to comb.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Sadly not, I'm in much the same boat. Much of it is written in fountain pen, no less. Garmin and Strava entered my life in February.

It was in 1991 when tragedy struck; I lost my desk diary before I'd transferred all the details to my consolidated lists. So for that year, and subsequent years when I was still struggling to get over the loss, I only have total rides, longest for the year and occasional other rides where I remember them for some reason.

There's a small hit on my E number. I've just made it to 112; if my records were complete I'd probably have been there a few rides ago. To be honest it seems totally unimportant now. I'm happy to be riding the distances again.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
If you have the patience to manually log rides for 50 years, then surely you have the patience to do that
Well I log one ride at a time whereas I'd need to go through many at a time for the E number. I guess it's one of those jobs which looks huge in totality but should be done one page of records at a time. Wet winter job methinks.
I lost my desk diary before I'd transferred all the details to my consolidated lists
I have an early year when I didn't keep all the detail. I do have monthly totals tho'. Also my first faltering rides never got written down so something like a year's worth before records began.

I guess I could take a punt at an E number and just check for rides at that number and beyond. But I'd quite like to see where my "typical" ride length would come out too so I'm back to the full analysis again........:rolleyes:

https://www.freelancer.com/projects/Data-Entry/Enter-handwritten-contacts-into-8711918/

For just a few hundred dollars, you could pay someone to put it all in a spreadsheet for you.

I never bothered to log my rides until I got a GPS enabled phone in 2008, coincidentally around the time I bought a folder and got back into cycling. I wish I had a record of the rides I did before I took a 5 year break. I know they wouldn't change my E-number, but I wish I had some idea how much cycling I did back then. I just checked, and I used to cycle one day a week a distance that was at least a 60km round trip, and did some slow triathlons.

About a year ago, I found an old bike computer, that must have been in the shed a more than 10 years, but the read out was still just faintly still there. So I swapped the battery, then found the manual online to find out how to read the odometer. That's when I found out that taking out the battery wipes all the memory :sad:

Last edited:

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I call mine my strava E number because I only have recorded data from 2013 yet have been doing longish unrecorded rides for over 40 years. Therefore I have a pitiful strava E number of 51.

Top Bottom