Election - Is there a "Cyclists Vote"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
National Election, cycling hating MP has been made stand down.
Local Election, council were only interested last year, prior to the Tour coming through. Once gone, so was any interest in cycling by any party.

Drago

Legendary Member
I fully understand that no one in the Greens has passed O level maths.

I fully understand that Labour, like their main rivals, do the lie or.mislead about their taxation plans, and start illegal wars, and its going to take this generation a long time to forget both.

In either case they in still zero confidence of anything meaningful for cyclists, unless you count the hollow and insincere platitudes that both are wont to churn out. They're politicians, which means by default they'd unfit to be involved in the running of a country. As a user group were.steadfastly alone, and there's no prospect on the horizon of that changing.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The city of Brighton and Hove (a Green MP and many Green councillors) has had quite a lot of cycling infrastructure built recently, as well as things like shared spaces, wider pavements, rebuilding of a lethal roundabout to slow traffic down (Seven Dials), and removing unnecessary pedestrian-herding railings and replacing them with more cycle parking. OK, not everyone agrees that segregated cycleways are a good thing, but I hear a lot of people who are timid about cycling in traffic saying how much they like the new arrangements.
Heard the same about Old Shoreham road allowing kids to ride to school

UKIPs hate cyclists. That's all you need to know.

3653206.jpg

"I fail to see why the general public should pay for cyclists' safety when regardless of sidebars, a cyclist is still going to come off worse and they are not made to take responsibility for their own safety. They should be trained, tested, plated and insured BEFORE hauliers and ultimately the general public end up paying for what is essentially, someone else's hobby. It is disgusting."

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/ne..._Leyton_and_Wanstead/?action=success#comments

winjim

Smash the cistern
Or spend the money on what is essentially roads maintenance.
That is the single best thing the government could do to improve my experience as a cyclist.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I can't help feeling that cycling wouldn't automatically be seen by some people as 'a hobby' if there were less emphasis on wearing the right lycra+helmet uniform and riding the right carbon bike, and more acceptance of cycling as a cheap, inclusive and environmentally friendly form of transport (as in, e.g., Holland). Sorry if that sounds a little like 'we brought it on ourselves', but ... maybe some of us did a bit?
I think you are spot on.

Yet if I said my hobby was driving and I drove every day, to and from work, folk would think I was slightly bonkers.

Paul Bonsor

Über Member
And similarly, over in Monsieur's thread in General Cycling, 'Society doesn't need cyclists' - apparently walking is essential to society but 'road cycling' (with all its stereotypes listed) is not. Is Keith Peat a UKIP candidate too?
He isn't a UKIP candidate but he does support them, he also has an climate change denying website

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
3653206.jpg

"I fail to see why the general public should pay for cyclists' safety when regardless of sidebars, a cyclist is still going to come off worse and they are not made to take responsibility for their own safety. They should be trained, tested, plated and insured BEFORE hauliers and ultimately the general public end up paying for what is essentially, someone else's hobby. It is disgusting."

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/ne..._Leyton_and_Wanstead/?action=success#comments
She seems too stupid and ignorant to realise that most of those killed by lorries were not the "Bradley Wiggins" types

Top Bottom