Electrician Help Please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
[QUOTE 4333827, member: 9609"]what causes these ghost voltages. Is it just magnetic fields from adjacent live wires on another circuit. And if you had a ghost voltage of lets say 5v, could you power something with it or is it just a handfull of electrons (or whatever they're called) that you would never get enough current ?[/QUOTE]

I think it's this (but I could be wrong)..... The neutral is actually earthed at the substation, or somewhere distant from your house. The neutral cable between your house and the distant earth point has a finite resistance. It also has a current flowing through it...maybe up to 80 or 100 amps. This means that the voltage on the neutral cable where it leaves your house could be several volts above earth due to the V=IR voltage drop rule. If the neutral cable touches a local earth in the house, the RCD detects a current imbalance between live and neutral and it trips out.

I think.

close . dependent on system type. you don't need a low earth path for a 30mA to trip. for safety sake we use 1667 Ohm as that won't lead to a touch voltage higher than 50V which is deemed ELV and "safe" .

out in the sticks on an overhead service from a pole Transformer the service is very likely to be TT .

in towns before 1980* the service would be TN-S and after 1980 would be TN-C-S PME (Protective Multiple Earthing) . there are other flavours of TN-C-S but these are generally not used for domestic supplies . * approx - PME was about before then but thats when most REC went to PME fully.

on a PME system the neutralk is easrthed at MULTIPLE points on its journey from the transformer at the substation. the star point at the Trans will always be referenced to earth as it keeps them at almost the same potential 0 V .

when the N-E are touched together at the switch there is another path back to the star point for a very very small amount of electricity to flow Milli Volts and milli amps ( resistors in parallel)and the RCD "sees" the imbalance on the sensing coil inside then operates the trip mechanism .

I may tidy up the post later when i am more awake. fecking electrical storms last night!
Well, predictably, I can't resist adding my own version of the explanation...

Whatever current you are using in a circuit flows back through the neutral conductor of that circuit. Whatever current you are using in the whole house flows back along the neutral conductor of the supply cable to the house. Whatever current is being used by all the houses on a circuit combined flows back to the substation along the neutral conductor of the distribution cable. And every time a current flows in a neutral, it creates a voltage, through Ohms law, V=IR.

The "neutral conductor" may actually be a combined neutral-and-earth conductor and it may actually be the sheath of the cable, but that doesn't affect the principle at this stage.

The neutral current in your house is simply the load current flowing back through the neutral. When it comes to the distribution cable along the street outside your home, supplying multiple homes, that's usually a three-phase circuit, with the homes split roughly equally between the different phases. The idea of that is the successive neutral currents from successive homes are out of phase with each other and cancel. The cancellation's never perfect, but it does mean that the neutral current in the distribution circuit is usually a lot lower than the sum of the neutral currents from all the individual houses. But it's still there and still creates a voltage.

So the neutral conductor in your home has this small V=IR voltage on it, going all the way back to wherever the neutral and earth are joined together. At that point (to a first approximation) the neutral voltage is zero; the V=IR voltage accumulates along the neutral conductor downstream (on your house side) of that point.

Neutral conductors are required by Regulation to be earthed at the substation. In the good old days, the law also said that was the only point where they were allowed to be earthed (in the obscure jargon we use, TT or TN-S). So the neutral was rising in voltage all the way along the distribution circuit along the street and into your home.

Then, as @subacqua has pointed out, in the 1930s they allowed piloting of protective multiple earthing (TN-C-S) and this has been standard practice in the last few decades. That means the neutral is earthed at, err, multiple positions as well as the substation. So now the voltage rise in the neutral is only (again to a first approximation) in the length from within your house out to the closest earthing point on the neutral in the distribution circuit. And if your house has pme (a separate issue from whether the circuit has pme), the neutral and earth will be bonded together at the meter position as the neutral enters your house, so any voltage rise is only over the length within your house (it is still against the law to have the neutral and Earth connected within your home, though some idiot once wasted his time discovering that 20% of UK homes have accidental neutral-Earth connection and got a scientific paper out of it). But it is still there, and if you've got a joint not done up quite as tightly as it should have been and thus inserting a bit of resistance, that will help make the R a bit higher and hence the V=IR. There are some pretty pictures of where the earths are with pme at http://www.emfs.info/sources/distribution/uk/ (coughs modestly)

That's the main way these voltages arise but @User9609, you're right, induction from other circuits can contribute as well. Not so much, I think, the electric field induction from adjacent circuits at mains voltages, though on transmission lines, there is a seriously problematic safety issue with induction from adjacent live circuits onto a nominally dead circuit that someone may be working on. But in homes near transmission lines, the magnetic field from the transmission line can induce small voltages onto distribution circuits. A mate of mine in California has written several papers about it, e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17099403, but as I'm engaged in a genteel academic dispute with him over how seriously to take that issue, I'm not exactly promoting that possibility....

swansonj

Guru
Well, predictably, I can't resist adding my own version of the explanation...

Whatever current you are using in a circuit flows back through the neutral conductor of that circuit. Whatever current you are using in the whole house flows back along the neutral conductor of the supply cable to the house. Whatever current is being used by all the houses on a circuit combined flows back to the substation along the neutral conductor of the distribution cable. And every time a current flows in a neutral, it creates a voltage, through Ohms law, V=IR.

The "neutral conductor" may actually be a combined neutral-and-earth conductor and it may actually be the sheath of the cable, but that doesn't affect the principle at this stage.

The neutral current in your house is simply the load current flowing back through the neutral. When it comes to the distribution cable along the street outside your home, supplying multiple homes, that's usually a three-phase circuit, with the homes split roughly equally between the different phases. The idea of that is the successive neutral currents from successive homes are out of phase with each other and cancel. The cancellation's never perfect, but it does mean that the neutral current in the distribution circuit is usually a lot lower than the sum of the neutral currents from all the individual houses. But it's still there and still creates a voltage.

So the neutral conductor in your home has this small V=IR voltage on it, going all the way back to wherever the neutral and earth are joined together. At that point (to a first approximation) the neutral voltage is zero; the V=IR voltage accumulates along the neutral conductor downstream (on your house side) of that point.

Neutral conductors are required by Regulation to be earthed at the substation. In the good old days, the law also said that was the only point where they were allowed to be earthed (in the obscure jargon we use, TT or TN-S). So the neutral was rising in voltage all the way along the distribution circuit along the street and into your home.

Then, as @subacqua has pointed out, in the 1930s they allowed piloting of protective multiple earthing (TN-C-S) and this has been standard practice in the last few decades. That means the neutral is earthed at, err, multiple positions as well as the substation. So now the voltage rise in the neutral is only (again to a first approximation) in the length from within your house out to the closest earthing point on the neutral in the distribution circuit. And if your house has pme (a separate issue from whether the circuit has pme), the neutral and earth will be bonded together at the meter position as the neutral enters your house, so any voltage rise is only over the length within your house (it is still against the law to have the neutral and Earth connected within your home, though some idiot once wasted his time discovering that 20% of UK homes have accidental neutral-Earth connection and got a scientific paper out of it). But it is still there, and if you've got a joint not done up quite as tightly as it should have been and thus inserting a bit of resistance, that will help make the R a bit higher and hence the V=IR. There are some pretty pictures of where the earths are with pme at http://www.emfs.info/sources/distribution/uk/ (coughs modestly)

That's the main way these voltages arise but @User9609, you're right, induction from other circuits can contribute as well. Not so much, I think, the electric field induction from adjacent circuits at mains voltages, though on transmission lines, there is a seriously problematic safety issue with induction from adjacent live circuits onto a nominally dead circuit that someone may be working on. But in homes near transmission lines, the magnetic field from the transmission line can induce small voltages onto distribution circuits. A mate of mine in California has written several papers about it, e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17099403, but as I'm engaged in a genteel academic dispute with him over how seriously to take that issue, I'm not exactly promoting that possibility....
Tl;dr. But enjoyed writing it anyway

stephec

Legendary Member
It's always a good idea to isolate the lot if at all unsure. If you dont have a multimeter then it is pretty dodgy dabbling with this stuff anyway.

This.

I don't work on electrical supplies but I'm a service engineer, normally on food inspection machinery.

Even when I've put a lock on the isolator I still meter all three phases just to be safe.

subaqua

What’s the point
This.

I don't work on electrical supplies but I'm a service engineer, normally on food inspection machinery.

Even when I've put a lock on the isolator I still meter all three phases just to be safe.

5 golden rules

Plan the work
Isolate the Circuit
Prove dead - with a GS38 approved Voltage indicator NOT A MULTIMETER .
Issue Permit to work ( if required)
Confirm dead and carry out works.

I won't get into earthing down live conductors as part of the steps as it will confuddle people

Has your company got a safe system of work for electrical ( and mechanical isolation to be fair)? Are you following it ?

subaqua

What’s the point
Interesting about GS38 and accidents with multimeters, I was not aware of that.
HSG 85 free from HSE website is a very good document . HSR25 also free is a good read for those using electricity in work and holding s duty of care to others ( most of us )

stephec

Legendary Member
5 golden rules

Plan the work
Isolate the Circuit
Prove dead - with a GS38 approved Voltage indicator NOT A MULTIMETER .
Issue Permit to work ( if required)
Confirm dead and carry out works.

I won't get into earthing down live conductors as part of the steps as it will confuddle people

Has your company got a safe system of work for electrical ( and mechanical isolation to be fair)? Are you following it ?
We've got RAMS for everything, I even have to carry ones for X-ray and lasers although I never come into contact with them

I know about the recommendations on multimeters, although on most sites the customer will usually isolate and test before we can touch it.

It's the smaller places where we always double check everything ourselves.

subaqua

What’s the point
We've got RAMS for everything, I even have to carry ones for X-ray and lasers although I never come into contact with them

I know about the recommendations on multimeters, although on most sites the customer will usually isolate and test before we can touch it.

It's the smaller places where we always double check everything ourselves.

RAMS are very different from a SSoW . they are part of but not the SSoW. ignorance is NOT a defence either. reg 29 of EAWR1989 gives defence guidlines. if you cant demonstrate Reg 29 compliance then hope you have a very very robust explanation. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsr25.pdf

of course for a homeowner then none of this applies and you are free to hurt yourself in all sorts of ways. but please don't . Its not about rules and compliance. its about people not getting hurt. thats why i do what i do

Top Bottom