Scotland : Edinburgh & Lothians Embra(ish) to Peebles (take two) 8th August.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DougieAB

Getting the messages
I've just had a quick look at work shifts and I'm off and so is the bosslady. So childcare shouldn't be a issue.

I'm interested as it would be my first CC ride and also my first ride with other people. Only issue would be the distance but with plenty jelly babies and a couple stops, I'm sure I'd could manage.

Think you will be surprised as to how much easier it is cover longer distances when you are cycling in a group. Hopefully the weather stays fine and we can maybe head down to the river in Peebles and have a picnic lunch, I believe @Louch is partial to a pie or two. :hungry:

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
you have half a pie at 1030pm and you get a reputation :P

chat in a group is an easy distraction, you wont be made to go at any pace you are uncomfortable with. looking forward to meeting you :smile:

I am currently Garminless so will be forced to navigate via Google Maps. Beyond PfS I've never really tried to navigate Edinburgh by bike. Is the A701 as poor/busy/dangerous a road as it looks on Streetview?

the_craig

Über Member
Cheers guys. It will be nice to have a bit of company while out on. And as for pace, a wee of of pain never hurt anyone. :whistle:

I do have one question and that's about food and eating. I've read about eating every half hour or so while on the bike - what are they eating? I am partial to a packet of sweeties in my pocket but this because I'm a greedy sod. Would a pocket full of jelly babies really do the trick?

Cheers guys. It will be nice to have a bit of company while out on. And as for pace, a wee of of pain never hurt anyone. :whistle:

I do have one question and that's about food and eating. I've read about eating every half hour or so while on the bike - what are they eating? I am partial to a packet of sweeties in my pocket but this because I'm a greedy sod. Would a pocket full of jelly babies really do the trick?
Eat before you're hungry; little and often. Drink long before thirsty.
If you're @Louch you can't go on a 10 mile ride without at least 9 gels in your pocket. I've been known to do big rides with nothing but a couple of bananas but then I'm mental. :crazy:

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Jelly babies and wine gums, enough to get you half way. Then can buy more for way back rather than lump them all the way around.

Cereal for your breakfast, banana before we start should feed you enough to get to halfway.

My first cc ride I was horribly unprepared, but everyone looked after me. Don't worry about Saturday

Jelly babies and wine gums, enough to get you half way. Then can buy more for way back rather than lump them all the way around.

Cereal for your breakfast, banana before we start should feed you enough to get to halfway.

My first cc ride I was horribly unprepared, but everyone looked after me. Don't worry about Saturday
...and have lots of pasta the night before.

the_craig

Über Member
Excellent! Any reason to scoff sweeties is good in my book.

I'm ok for fluids - I put two bottles cages on my bike because it looks cool but I was wondering about what to eat.

And hopefully I'll not be too much bother.

Top Bottom