Emma Pooley to return to cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It is amazing how strong the lure of the Olympics is. I wish her luck and that she is competitive.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Good for her. Sounds as though BC definitely want her and think she's got a good chance of selection, as well.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
She retired from pro cycling to do ironman and tri, so I don't think there's any doubt about her fitness; and I don't think Sutton would be backing her if he didn't think she'd be competitive.

e-rider

crappy member
Although Emma Pooley is clearly a quality rider, I have never warmed to her when I've seen her talking on TV - I'm not that happy that she's coming back!

oldroadman

Veteran
Not all riders are great PR purveyors. Sometimes the most intelligent (e.g. E Pooley, PhD) seem to be the worst at interview, quite uncompromising in their views and not "media friendly. But this lady can ride a bit and has nothing to prove, everything to lose by returning to the road. She can climb and TT a bit. Rio is a difficult parcours and could well suit her abilities, either as a potential leaders in RR or super domestique, and certainly in TT as a potential podium. The way the track riders have been going their medal potential looks much lower than before apart from TP and maybe omnium, (where ARE the sprinters?), so a likely medal or two on the road would be more than useful to BC when they go looking for funding, I would think. You have to have something to sell, after all.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Pooley is one of my favourite riders for precisely the reasons oldroadman sets out. Pooley does her talking out on the course and is not some media darling. Very pleased to see her come back. And her Ironman triathlon results have been frankly, amazing. I don't think people here realise how tough it is to move from cycling to tri, as opposed to say, running to tri. Those are some seriously good results for a new Ironman triathlete.

Top Bottom