En Francais s'il vous plait...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cedfromfrance

Aperitif said:
'con' was helpful at times when I rolled around the Herault...:wacko:

I can only offer that cemeteries have cold water taps and are ideal stopping points to refill.

Well said Aperitif !!! ;) This is true that the sure spot to get water always is the ... Cemeteries ...

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Bill, eg on a campsite, is facture. Not to be confused as I did with facteur (postman). Could not uderstand why an answer expected in Euro's was 'peut etre a midi' followed by a gallic shrug:blush:.

Le Prop @ camping la grande cascade in Mont Dore nearly pissed himself laughing!!!!!

Incidentally, if you're headed for the Auvergene that site is highly recommended over the two in town. A bit of a ride up the Col de Croix de Robert but lush grass in clear air far prefereable to the fumes and gravel in the valley bottom.

battered said:
As others have said, just get stuck in. A phrase book is useful to establish a script, but as others have said as soon as the other person deviates from the script you are stuck. I wouldn't worry about vocabulary and grammar, "bidon" is indeed the right word for water bottle, but "gourde" is understood as indeed is "bouteille". It al works. Let's be honest, if you ran a cafe and a cyclist came in waving a bottle and asked for "water for my jar" you wouldn't laugh him out of the shop.

S'il vous plait can indeed go at the start of a sentence and is not at all odd. It's generally used to attract a waiter's attention, as we might say "excuse me". So if you stop someone in the street with "SVP" it can be viewed as shorthand for "excuse me please" and is acceptable. Bonjour is actually better usage though, and buys you a second to think of what to say while they are replying "bonjour m'sieur/madame." You can also, with thought, buy time with your sentence structure, eg:
"bonjour" (time, think)
"je cherche, SVP..." (I'm looking for, please...) (more time)
"Un cafe/le supermarche/le village de..." (more time while you produce the map) and so it goes on. Bear in mind they don't want you to fail.

When you get proficient you can learn such useful phrases as "Salaud! Putain de Dieu, t'es aveugle ou quoi? T'as trouve ton permis ou, dans une pochette-surprise?" (Trad: "B*stard! F*ing Christ, are you blind or what? Where'd you get your licence, a lucky bag?"):wacko:

This and other juicy phrases are not advisable for novices though, you need to have the skills to talk your way *out* of trouble before you dump yourself in it.;)

The only time I've had any trouble (i.e close pass) with drivers in France they've had GB stickers on the back of the car. Actually, I tell a lie, there was a bus driver coming into Nice airport last year who cut us up badly, he was stopped 200m later and I think I got my message across ok by pulling up next to his window and employing the international gesture for w*nker even if he did just stare straight ahead pretending I wasn't there.

HelenD123

Guru
Damn, I've just left French-speaking territory. This thread would have been useful. I agree that it's good just to relax and try rather than get hung up on knowing every word. I managed to have a complete conversation in French with an old guy in a fascinating bike shop in Quebec. I needed a small part for my bar bag bracket that had broken and just said I needed something 'comme ca' and pointed to the other one which was still intact. Have a great trip Kirstie.

yello

Cheers battered, some useful new words for me there!

Re facture (invoice) and facteur (postman), there in lies the problems of those darn French vowel sounds. So close, to my ear anyway, that I find it near on impossible to sound the difference.

Others I have problems with are chaussure (shoe) and chasseur (hunter), and mutant (mutant) and mouton (sheep). I really don't want to be going into a shoe shop and asking for a nice, comfortable pair of hunters.

Arch

Married to Night Train
yello said:
Others I have problems with are chaussure (shoe) and chasseur (hunter), and mutant (mutant) and mouton (sheep). I really don't want to be going into a shoe shop and asking for a nice, comfortable pair of hunters.

You certainly don't want to walk away from the livestock market with a mutant either!

We just had the one time when we were collectively foxed. Our waiter came and recited the dessert list, and several people opted for the rice pudding (riz au lait). He came back a moment later, and said something about the riz au lait - the word chef was in there, and kilogram, and chaud ou froid - so we though he might be asking if we wanted it warm, but what about the kilogram thing? Was he saying there weren't enough portions? We looked at each other blankly, and were just about to ask him to repeat slowly, when he said "d'accord!" (ok!) and went! We never did know what he'd asked us - but the pudding came warm.

Another thing my friend recommended was to say "Doucement, svp" if someone talks too fast for you - it means 'gently, please' and might be more helpful than just getting them to repeat slowly - they might rephrase for you.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
My greatest faux pas in France was asking for "le Menu", when I meant "la Carte".

Coinnoisseurs will know that Le Menu is the Meal of the Day, which could be eel soup, eel salad and creme brule, or a similar combination. (Not on my list of favourites).

The drinks arrived, but no sign of the cardboard list of options food wise. Cue me realising my mistake, and shortly afterwards the Chef appeared, looking seriously upset. :smile::blush::sad:

Fortunately I have over the years learnt various ways of apologising in French. :laugh::tongue:

Something I really wish is that i had learnt some French before I became hard of hearing - but with my minimal few basic phrases I have always got by. Never had the "snobby" French reaction (does it really exist any more)

I have cycled in many countries where I never really sussed out even what good morning is - but being on a bike and being an Englishmam (I find it amazing that still counts for something or maybe it is being a cyclist) I have been able to communicate who I am, where I am going and what I need

rh100

I was told to ask for your steak cooked as 'incendre' (burnt), worked for me, came out about what I would class as medium here.

edit: I think the correct term would be tres bien cuit - is this correct?

Top Bottom