End to End; the planning begins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Good luck fella, I've been wanting to do it for a few years but sadly injuries keep getting in the way, next year doesn't look likely but hopefully 2016 (gotta get back to work now this legs at last starting to heal but I can't see that happening til the new year at the best, but at least I'm down to 2 Codeine a day nowadays)

cnb

Veteran
Hi had a quick read of your blog..I have done lejog twice..The 1st time i took the train to Cornwall..2nd time i hired a car point to point..Much easier with the car..My train journey from the north east was a nightmare..Packed out train, suitcases and other baggage piled on top of my bike(It was holiday time)..As for the planning i just took a few maps and made it up as i went along..In fact the 2nd time once i'd reached Scotland i headed to the west coast jumped on a ferry to Arran rode to the top then another ferry back onto the mainland via Kyles of Bute ..it turned out to be a great route with lovely scenary

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Good luck fella, I've been wanting to do it for a few years but sadly injuries keep getting in the way, next year doesn't look likely but hopefully 2016 (gotta get back to work now this legs at last starting to heal but I can't see that happening til the new year at the best, but at least I'm down to 2 Codeine a day nowadays)
Thanks for that. Good luck to you too with your recovery; must be very frustrating.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Hi had a quick read of your blog..I have done lejog twice..The 1st time i took the train to Cornwall..2nd time i hired a car point to point..Much easier with the car..My train journey from the north east was a nightmare..Packed out train, suitcases and other baggage piled on top of my bike(It was holiday time)..As for the planning i just took a few maps and made it up as i went along..In fact the 2nd time once i'd reached Scotland i headed to the west coast jumped on a ferry to Arran rode to the top then another ferry back onto the mainland via Kyles of Bute ..it turned out to be a great route with lovely scenary
Cheers. Very interesting to hear your comments re train; just reinforces my tendency towards car hire.
I've been to Arran cycling so can understand your enjoyment of that route.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Getting to Penzance by train was a cinch as was getting back from the place when I did JOGLE. It's cheaper than by car and far more relaxing.
Thanks Vernon. I appreciate your point and will look at it more closely. I have to say though that, whilst i don't doubt your experience, many people seem to have horror stories of difficulties when depending upon the train. I agree it would be far more relaxing but that doesn't take into account how much I'd worry before the event, which I wouldn't if driving.
Thanks for the input though.
Cheers
Geoff

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Thanks Vernon. I appreciate your point and will look at it more closely. I have to say though that, whilst i don't doubt your experience, many people seem to have horror stories of difficulties when depending upon the train. I agree it would be far more relaxing but that doesn't take into account how much I'd worry before the event, which I wouldn't if driving.
Thanks for the input though.
Cheers
Geoff

The problems lie at the other end which has a few trains with limited capacity and the guards are draconian with their enforcement of the bike capacity of the trains. I fret about anything involving trains and Thurso/Wick and totally relaxed about anything rail connected to Penzance.

You need to remember that fewer people comment on successful journeys than those who comment on the bad ones. 'I had an uneventful trip to Penzance' isn't really worth commenting on whereas 'My nightmare trip to Penzance' cries out to be shared.

snorri

Legendary Member
Certainly do not accept the first rail fare your booking system throws up, a little research pays dividends.
I was checking some fares earlier today, three trains within three hours, same day, same route, fares £11.90, £21.90 and £40.90

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

You need to remember that fewer people comment on successful journeys than those who comment on the bad ones. 'I had an uneventful trip to Penzance' isn't really worth commenting on whereas 'My nightmare trip to Penzance' cries out to be shared.
Absolutely. Rest assured, I'll give it due consideration.
Thanks for the constructive comments Vernon.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Wow, now that's a brave challenge! I wish you all the best of luck. I want to do a similar route.. just in a Classic Mini. I sure hope it goes smoothly. plenty of opportunities for photos along the way too :smile:
And good luck to you in a Mini my friend.
Had one back in the early 70s, following a Citroen Dyane. Hated trying to work on the thing, no room under the bonnet. Soon came to my senses (?) and bought another Dyane ... followed by another (I loved 'em).
Good luck though. I suspect you're braver than me.

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
And good luck to you in a Mini my friend.
Had one back in the early 70s, following a Citroen Dyane. Hated trying to work on the thing, no room under the bonnet. Soon came to my senses (?) and bought another Dyane ... followed by another (I loved 'em).
Good luck though. I suspect you're braver than me.

Still yet to find the fund's to buy one, I'm quite a small chap so should just about be able to climb in the bonnet to work on it! haha I've not had much luck with citroen's myself though, first one blew a gasket and the second blew my windscreen onto my lap as the bonnet opened itself on my way home :sad: I can imagine cycling all that way you'd become very good friends with nature though more than driving it.

cnb

Veteran
Just as an add on..When we had finished, getting the train back to Inverness was no problem..Then it became more difficult. the station was very busy and getting on the train with the bikes was a no go..So a quick peddle round the block and another car point to point..dropping off in Gateshead...Its been about 15 years since my trip so things will have changed..certainly there will be more traffic so choose your route carefully..

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Just as an add on..When we had finished, getting the train back to Inverness was no problem..Then it became more difficult. the station was very busy and getting on the train with the bikes was a no go..So a quick peddle round the block and another car point to point..dropping off in Gateshead...Its been about 15 years since my trip so things will have changed..certainly there will be more traffic so choose your route carefully..

Things haven't changed yet. Scotrail staff are sticklers for the rules. I was told to remove the panniers from my bike by the guard on the Inverness - Thurso train in June this year. Pre-booking cycles on the trains is essential. Things might change when the new franchise comes into operation.

Top Bottom