Enjoyment or addiction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sutts

I'm just starting to wonder really! I went out today and I was struggling big time, not so much physically, but mentally. I started to wonder why I am doing it!

I am addicted, of that there is no doubt, in fact I don't feel right unless I am clocking up the miles. Maybe that's not good, maybe I should ease back on the rides, if it's no longer fun? But then, is exercise (and that's the main motivation for me) always enjoyable....I doubt many people would say it is?

vickster

Legendary Member
It is clearly addictive...I have two knackered legs which hurt like crazy and yet I still rode a bike today (albeit a 2.5 mile round trip). It's very hard to stop, especially if in denial about the quite likely cause of the pain :wacko:

NorvernRob

Enjoyment is just going out and riding for fun. Addiction is pushing yourself constantly, looking for improvements and spending whatever money you have on it.

Considering I keep going for longer and harder rides with silly amounts of climbing, even a 20 mile spin is done as fast as I can, and I've spent enough on cycling this year to have bought a brand new car I think I fall into the latter category :blush:

D

Deleted member 23692

Somewhere between 'effort' and 'enjoyment'

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It's certainly a bit of a mixture for me. I go through phases of really enjoying it, then other times when it does feel like an absolute effort. Sometimes when I am out, I just want to get home, but when I am home I want to be out. Lol. I do know that even on days when it has felt hard, it still gives me a warm glow and feeling of achievement when I get in.

I think we all live for these days when the conditions are perfect and our legs are flowing reasonably effortlessly.........not that they seem to come along all that often!

screenman

Legendary Member
I do not always enjoy the ride especially the first 15 minutes, however I do enjoy the smug feeling I get after every singe ride.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Addiction plays a major part for sure.
The first half an hour of any ride I do is like an unnatural masochistic act, but we still carry on.

mark c

Über Member
Sat here with legs still burning from the weekend, cursing the fact that my better half is out late tmrw so no cycling on tues and weds is looking doubtful yes i am addicted :smile:

zizou

Veteran
There is an addictive quality to exercise due to the release of endorphins. As addictions go its better than being addicted to caffeine or watching TV never mind crack or heroin!

Top Bottom