Enterprise Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I remember a clip for a film...can't recall which, it may have been Thomas crown...where a teacher was explaining the cultural significance of a piece of fine art...the class was uninterested so she changed tack and declared. " it's worth a million bucks" which got coos of interest all around.

Would the kids interest benefit from a trip to a high end bike supplier to see the same basic tech deployed on a top end machine...then have them try to guess the value?

J

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
I remember a clip for a film...can't recall which, it may have been Thomas crown...where a teacher was explaining the cultural significance of a piece of fine art...the class was uninterested so she changed tack and declared. " it's worth a million bucks" which got coos of interest all around.

Would the kids interest benefit from a trip to a high end bike supplier to see the same basic tech deployed on a top end machine...then have them try to guess the value?

J
That's a great idea! Grafham Water isn't that far and I'm pretty sure that there's a semi-decent bike shop there. I'll have a look.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Just wanted to say a massive thank you to @jonny jeez and @Pat "5mph". Both cycling computers came today and I'm looking forward to getting them set up. One will go on the new bike so that the kids can get started with setting a baseline time over 1km. The other will be in readiness for the completion of the restoration of the second bike (there's a second turbo trainer waiting for it!).

400bhp

Guru
You should see if any of the local cycling clubs could get involved.

But be prepared to manage them so they fit in with what you need rather than the other way around.

For example, would any of the racers turn up and talk about doing a race? Maybe bring their kit. And TT'ing too, with kit.

You're really onto something here. Sounds more interesting than the catechists program I do.:whistle:

Have you got a donation thread?

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
You should see if any of the local cycling clubs could get involved.

But be prepared to manage them so they fit in with what you need rather than the other way around.

For example, would any of the racers turn up and talk about doing a race? Maybe bring their kit. And TT'ing too, with kit.

You're really onto something here. Sounds more interesting than the catechists program I do.:whistle:

Have you got a donation thread?
Really good ideas! I have put a thread together asking for any old road bikes that are gathering dust in the local area but I can't find it now!!!:wacko:

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
First session of the year. Had the best turn out so far with 18 children attending! We set up three areas in the hall. In one section, children raced for a flat 3 minutes to see how much distance they could cover on the turbo. In another, the other the kids were stripping the bikes back - removing bar tape and cables, taking off tyres and checking inner tubes, checking the cassettes and chains and seeing if the wheels were true and 'save-able' . In the last section we had the kids looking at a variety of websites and creating a purchase request for the office to buy the parts that would be needed. The children swapped every 15 mins.

It was awesome! An amazing buzz from all sections with children becoming ultra-competitive on the turbo. It was also really nice to hear the kids using (mostly) the correct names for the different parts of the bikes and their components (I even learned a few bits - like how to release a seized front fork!). There was also a bit of healthy competition in trying to find competitive prices for the components...one group thought they'd nailed it and were being quite vocal about the fact that they'd sourced all of the items on the list far undercutting the other groups until they realised that they would have to add about £30 on for shipping :eek:...they hadn't realised that you had to pay for things to be delivered...life lesson learned!!!

Nice moment again today when we took off the bar tape from the beat-up Peugeot and gave it a clean down...one of the girls came out with: 'This is going to be beautiful!"...Nice for them to see a bit of beauty in the beast.

Couple of pictures...obviously can't include the children but at least you'll be able to see the transformation of the bikes over the next few weeks.
IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
pink.jpg
Quick update! Four of the girls who have been put in charge of procurement just met with the bursar to put in their purchase request. It all seemed to be going well until the bursar came in for me to sign off the order...they changed the colour of the outers for the cables to pink :eek:.

I signed it off anyway...they have to make mistakes along the way (and who knows, it might not be that bad!!!).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Just a quickie asking for advice as there was one thing that we just couldn't find...the kids were trying to source a new saddle for the children's road bike...looked at quite a few sites but couldn't find one anywhere. Anyone got a link???

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Well the first party of the order came through...I confiscated the free Haribo from one of the packages. They were excited - more so due to the free sample of High 5...especially as one of the sachets is labelled with 'Caffeine'..."Ooh we get to go hyper!" exclaimed one of the girls - cue intense giggling.

I'm really not certain about the pink cables! They're sat on my desk and already giving me a headache! I guess they might go with the colour scheme on the child's bike...sorry in advance @Fab Foodie !!! We'll give them a go!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well the first party of the order came through...I confiscated the free Haribo from one of the packages. They were excited - more so due to the free sample of High 5...especially as one of the sachets is labelled with 'Caffeine'..."Ooh we get to go hyper!" exclaimed one of the girls - cue intense giggling.

I'm really not certain about the pink cables! They're sat on my desk and already giving me a headache! I guess they might go with the colour scheme on the child's bike...sorry in advance @Fab Foodie !!! We'll give them a go!
No worries from me ... pink's good!

Top Bottom