Eroica 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skip Madness

The strade bianche are back - it is a similar parcours to previous years, with 60 kilometres of dust and gravel roads and short climbs with sections of up to 24%.

MPBS_altimetria_rid.jpg

There is an excellent British contingent on the provisional start list - Geraint Thomas, Roger Hammond, Dan Lloyd, Mark Cavendish and Ben Swift are all down to ride.

Fabian Cancellara had a nasty crash recently but his name is still on the start list at the moment. Other favourites include Alessandro Ballan, Fränk Schleck, Giovanni Visconti, Lorenzo Bernucci, George Hincapie, Filippo Pozzato and Gerald Ciolek among a vast number of others.

Serramenti Diquigoivanni have had a great start to the season and Francesco Ginanni is my tip.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I wouldn't have thought it was Cav's cup of tea but good to see him have a go. Hammond is a tough cookie and it would be nice to see him do well.

I see there are 3 riders in the Aqua & Sapone squad with the surname Masciarelli.

Keith Oates

Janner
I'm also suprised to see Cavendish in the provisional start list. I would like to see Hammond on the podium, so one more race to have an interest in following!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Oates

Janner
Turned out to be a good race with Hammond showing some form towards the end but eventually coming in 34 secs behind Thomas Lövkvist.
There were also 31 DNF riders,which seems a bit high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Keith Oates said:
Turned out to be a good race with Hammond showing some form towards the end but eventually coming in 34 secs behind Thomas Lövkvist.
There were also 31 DNF riders,which seems a bit high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's one tough race... I didn't get to follow it at all, but I will go over and check out the results now...

You know that was a good race for the Brits: Daniel Lloyd came in 9th and Roger Hammond in 14th, both in the lead group. And you know what, for all the knockers, Cavendish came in 24th which is a great result for a sprinter in such a tough day race. He's clearly got a programme to toughen himself up for the upcoming Italian classics.

My 'dark horse' pick for the season, Edvald Boassen Hagen, came in 4th too!

Keith Oates

Janner
You're correct FM, Cavendish is really beginning to increase his overall cycling ability, it will be exciting to see how it develops. I'll keep an eye out for your dark horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom