European Track Championships - Grenchen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In more interesting news that anything Carlton and his Wheelie will be telling you - I had a wander into the National Museum of Scotland today to have a gander at "Old Faithful"; the gear ratio was impressive in the extreme. The display also had Obree's helmet (@Fnaar) which was very red and strangely shaped, and his UCI medal. My daughter was less than impressed with my knowledge, although the 4 'Mercans who were standing nearby did engage me in conversation and asked a few questions - they now think that he rode the record with one leg, whilst smoking a pack of fags and fuelled by Irn Bru ;)

Last edited:

oldroadman

Veteran
An easy lap for the Polish rider there - Barker could have/should have gone with her as she was placed to attack
easy to say when you are not already knackered from team pursuit rounds
Gold for the women's team pursuit. I haven't quite got my head around there being no bell at the catch but the Brits had to take the long way round again.
[/B]
Usually the commissaire starter fires a gun - end of race. Maybe there was an arrangement so that a time was recorded - Olympic qualification and all that?

And gold for the men too. No catch. CH did well to be just over 2 seconds short.

Very decent ride, 3-55ish. On track for 2016 I hope. BW was brutal, pushing out a lot of power, long pulls on the front at very high speed.

!!! Sorry, I grabbed that link from procyclinglive.com for those cheapskates like me who don't have Eurosport.
No worries I'd never have known about it being on otherwise :okay:

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Trott takes the lead after 2 omnium events. :okay:

Probably not worth mentioning that she won the elimination race again...

And an excellent gold there for Katie Archibald. Bronze for Kiara with Delzenne le french sandwich en argent

I seem to be the only one watching this tonight! Anyhow, Trott just had the easiest points race ever, going into it with over 30 points lead. She worked well with Diderikson in taking a lap, sealing their respective gold and silver, and then popped up to take maximum points in the final sprint. She now looks knackered. And she deserves to. (I'm a bit of a Trott fan, in case none of you had noticed....)

For the record, according to my Swiss mother, Grenchen is pronounced Grancha, with a gravelly loch-style /ch/.

Second gold of the day for Archibald in the elimination race. She's looking almost as good, smooth and lithe as Trott.

Last edited:

fimm

Veteran
I was out during the day. I missed Laura Trott's flying lap, but saw the points race. She did look very tired - or at least she wasn't celebrating as much as some! afterwards. Katie Archibald made the elimination race look easy, when I am sure it is anything but.

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was out during the day. I missed Laura Trott's flying lap, but saw the points race. She did look very tired - or at least she wasn't celebrating as much as some! afterwards. Katie Archibald made the elimination race look easy, when I am sure it is anything but.
In an odd kind of way, when LT and KA are at their best, there's nothing to see. They're just so smooth. You can't see the effort. They just look like they're riding faster bikes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I enjoyed that!

For those of you who have access to Eurosport Player - you can still find most of the coverage of these championships 'On Demand', but hurry - it is only available for a few more days and some is going offline tomorrow.

Someone should tell Carlton Kirby that x.023 seconds is x and 23 thousandths of a second, not x and 23 hundredths!

Also ... is it my dodgy hearing, or does he keep referring to Lara Trott rather than Laura?

Top Bottom