EUROSPORT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
Top marks to them for their coverage of our sport at a reasonable price but
  • why is the schedule info re broadcasts so inaccurate?
  • has any one ever had a response to emails?
  • how can communicate with them?
  • who owns/controls?

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Eurosport are "flexible" with their scheduling to accommodate live events, so when one thing overruns they cut and paste as they go. I've never emailed them but I have had responses to questions directed to their Twitter account [@]eurosportuktv for British Eurosport. Are they not owned by Discovery?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's live sport so timing is inevitably going to be variable. People whinge about tennis matches over-running but imagine how irritated you'd be if they cut away from an overtime cycling stage halfway up Alpe d'Huez.

Slightly off topic, but I reckon that if they must show tennis (and I have no idea why they feel they must) they should only show the matches up until the point they know the winner and then they should just cut away. So in the case of Andy Murray, they should cut away as soon as the first serve is over as he'll inevitably lose despite being "plucky". Tennis can vary so much in length that they need to either stop covering it live (or at all) or stick to a schedule whereby tennis fans just need to accept that they follow a ridiculous sport and they should expect a set amount of time allocated to it, and then live with it once it is cut for a proper sport.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Its all down to audience share,no?
Tennis could be their highest as shown by the line up of presenters during the recent French open as that lot wouldn't come cheap like the cycling lads.
Their highest viewing figures have been when a certain Mr Murray has been on, I may be wrong on this..

They should just do the other live sport they supply to the continent over a red button...

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
@Bobby Mhor has a point. Whilst much of the sport they cover is invisible people commentating over someone else's pictures their tennis coverage has presenters, punditry and interviews. They obviously up their game for it.

I guess no one will be 100% happy. They have two channels which, when they devote them to events they REALLY devote them. This weekend for example there are superbikes on one channel almost all the time. They covered Le Mans 24hr extensively too. I can't stand that stuff, but for some it's manna.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I tried 'googling' for Eurosport's UK average viewing figures, not much given away.
I did see how fragmented their programming is as they recently announced all sort of sport deals for various countries, PGA golf, Football etc but only in certain markets.
I did find one article which lauds their reaching 50 million viewers for the Le Tour last year (World wide I'd imagine) HERE
Figures from an old UK article state an average of 65,000 viewers watching live cycling broadcasts in 2011...HERE
18 million watched 24 Hr Le Mans in 2013 HERE

Andy Murray..
the big lanky Scot is driving up tennis ratings, Andy retires then we might go back to less tennis.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's live sport so timing is inevitably going to be variable. People whinge about tennis matches over-running but imagine how irritated you'd be if they cut away from an overtime cycling stage halfway up Alpe d'Huez.
And imagine how annoying it would be to try and catch up with their coverage of stage races, only to discover that they randomly do not save some stages. Yes, they do that too!

Oh, and they update the Player app so it stops working, allow you to log in, but then tell you that you need to pay for a subscription before you can watch anything. That would be the sub for the account you are logged in to and which you have already paid for!

PS (After rechecking ...) And then they quietly fix the problem after more than a week, but don't tell you that they have. Time to catch up on that Swiss race. Well, the stages that they did bother to record, that is!

Andy Murray..
the big lanky Scot is driving up tennis ratings, Andy retires then we might go back to less tennis.

Here's hoping it's soon. Miserable Scotch git that he is.

Slightly on topic, but I reckon that if they must show pro-racing (and I have no idea why they feel they must) they should only show the final five minutes of races where non-dopers are winning. A whole weeks pro-races could be packaged into a twenty minute slot and shown at twenty to three on Monday mornings. So in the case of Contador, any Astana rider or riders of other teams run by convicted dopers, they should turn the cameras off and bin any footage. Pro racing is so boring that that they need to either stop covering it live (or at all) or stick to a schedule whereby pro-racing fans just need to accept that they follow a ridiculous sport and they should expect a set amount of time allocated to it, and then live with it once it is cut for a proper sports. ^_^

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It might be live coverage but its always bugged me when you record the highlights in the middle of the night and get a complety different sport even though the record title still lists it as the cycling you should have recorded.
People might knock itv 4 `s broadcasters but at least when you record their program you get what you hoped for, pity they only cover a few races.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Having moaned at Eurosport earlier today, I have now discovered that my new Samsung smart TV includes a good Eurosport app! It works really well so I have been using it to catch up on the Tour de Suisse and Women's Tour while searching for bike parts on my laptop. :smile:

whenever I set the recorder for eurosport I always record the show after the cycling, that way if schedules over run etc you still get the whole thing.
What did really annoy me though was I paid for eurosport player app so I could watch when away at work, then discovered it wont work at all in Canada, so quickly cancelled the sub.

Top Bottom