EuroVello 15, Rhine Route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Please update us. You sound about as organised as me! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I Will. :okay:

I think these types of threads are really just thinking out loud, a bit of a white board for ideas. At least that's how I treat them.

This route will still be there next year, as I did say I quite fancied flying out and cycling back the entire route.

Good to have something to aim for. :laugh:

Farmer Sue Tickles

100% agree. Have a great time!

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
The ferry prices from Harwich to Hook of Holland overnight are outrageous!

They are an absolute joke unfortunately, not a lot you can do. We just look at it as part of the adventure as whilst we visit plenty of our own islands, an overnighter is a bit different for us.

Farmer Sue Tickles

Feeling a little deflated if I am honest about those ferry costs. Not sure that I can justify it really. Fuels to Harwich and back plus the hotels for 5 nights easily gets me into four figure realms.

I may have to divert to a ferry to France and try to work something out there.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
£455 for the two of us with a bike each and overnight cabin.

743 quid for myself and Mrs Slick for an inside cabin with a double bed and breakfast and buffet meal at night along with the 2 bikes. That's from Newcastle to Ijmuiden and I can't justify it either so don't even think about it.

Farmer Sue Tickles

743 quid for myself and Mrs Slick for an inside cabin with a double bed and breakfast and buffet meal at night along with the 2 bikes. That's from Newcastle to Ijmuiden and I can't justify it either so don't even think about it.

Outrageous!

@Slick , @Farmer Sue Tickles am I right in assuming that they are return fares?

If so, I can well understand the toe curling reaction to the prices but I'd offer up a different perspective....

I think for both of you these are pretty 'big' events? Slick, you've convinced Mrs. Slick to go along? and Farmer Sue Tickles, this is your first big bike adventure in quite a while? In my book, these are exceptional events and should be treated exceptionally.

It's expensive, but you've both given yourselves two separate gifts.
The first is a relaxing overnight 'cruise' before landing for the foreign part of your adventure. There's a value in that. A real value. A real chance to get the 'touring heads' firmly in place, leaving the 'normal' heads back in blighty.

On the way home you've both got the opportunity of another relaxing night to let the adventure really bed in to the memory bank before reality and real life starts to take over again. There is a real value to that.

You can look at the ferries as an expensive way to get from A to B or you can see them as something far more valuable in their own right.

Good luck!

P.S. if checking out fares like that I would always use the incognito option on my browser (to stop them from tracking me).

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
@Slick , @Farmer Sue Tickles am I right in assuming that they are return fares?

If so, I can well understand the toe curling reaction to the prices but I'd offer up a different perspective....

I think for both of you these are pretty 'big' events? Slick, you've convinced Mrs. Slick to go along? and Farmer Sue Tickles, this is your first big bike adventure in quite a while? In my book, these are exceptional events and should be treated exceptionally.

It's expensive, but you've both given yourselves two separate gifts.
The first is a relaxing overnight 'cruise' before landing for the foreign part of your adventure. There's a value in that. A real value. A real chance to get the 'touring heads' firmly in place, leaving the 'normal' heads back in blighty.

On the way home you've both got the opportunity of another relaxing night to let the adventure really bed in to the memory bank before reality and real life starts to take over again. There is a real value to that.

You can look at the ferries as an expensive way to get from A to B or you can see them as something far more valuable in their own right.

Good luck!

P.S. if checking out fares like that I would always use the incognito option on my browser (to stop them from tracking me).

Yes, return. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

First class explanation of exactly why I'm going. :thumbsup:

Farmer Sue Tickles

I am now revisiting the idea of ferry to Dunkirk then cycling round to the hook of Holland.

The ferry to Dunkirk is only £25 and hotels in France and Belgium are cheaper than Holland.

Top Bottom