Ever Wished You Had Not Started

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

girofan

Went out today for a forty mile jaunt. Fifteen miles into the ride, rear wheel puncture. Out comes the wheel, and as I ready the new tube with the wheel resting against my leg, bang, a spoke breaks!! FFS, how does metal fracture without stress on it?
Open up brake caliper and continue with a slightly bent rear wheel. Nice tea and cake at cafe stop _ then continue on way home. Twelve miles later another rear wheel puncture!!
I must have done something exceptionally wrong recently, as all this seems like Divine intervention.
Am I alone or do others suffer this sort of fate?

Mortiroloboy

No GF, you are not alone...5 of my last 7 punctures(in the space of a month) have been to the rear tyre, twice at the weekend when I had the added joy of having to remove and refit panniers:angry:

Bigtallfatbloke

On todays ride I was wrestling with a dodgy cable which led to my rear cogs skipping all the time..it got worse and wosrse and eventually became unrideable. The new brake pads I fitted last night were ok but the cables were loose again and didnt leave much margin for error. My rear wheel is wobbling which is preventing me from getting the brakes set well...then my saddle post slipped...

...all in all a bit of a pisser....but it didnt bother me 'cos I got a new toy today.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Yup, mainly when i go out, get completely soaked, cold and grumpy(last sunday)
Just about any time i go out and get soaked i sometimes regret going out. Oh, and on the saturday before the sunday i got cold and wet i got very cold, and a tad annoyed with the strong winds and the coldness. Regretted going out then, and i woke up the next day with a cold.:angry:

Kovu

Über Member
Other week went out on the MTB (not sure why), and was nice weather, began to tip it down, hail and all, then I got shouted at by an angry man in a car and then I fell off. Was not a good ride. Nothing went right.

gratts

Out of curiosity, and slightly off of topic..but that gel substance you can put in the inner tubes to prevent small punctures..does it actually work?

barq

You all have my sympathies. I've also tended to experience problems in clusters too - it can be very dispiriting but you just have to remember all those months of trouble free cycling.

gratts said:
Out of curiosity, and slightly off of topic..but that gel substance you can put in the inner tubes to prevent small punctures..does it actually work?

Ish... it can be a bit heavy and it only does small punctures. It doesn't last forever either so will need replacing.

gratts said:

Aah..my experience of the stuff earlier today here.
Fortunately before I set off

Top Bottom