Exhaust fumes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BLUE(UK)

Hmmm, I guess you'd either take a calculated risk or stand on your feet, pick up your bike and shuffle sideways til you're on the side of the vehicle without an exhaust unless of course it's on both sides or there is a side wind. I know which i'd do if there was any gap but then some would say my riding is unsafe yet others would see it as assertive. :-/

I don't think any cases are simply black or white.

BLUE(UK)

There's a lot of red diesel and chip oil burning going on these days. A mechanic friend tells me that makes things more smoky.

Red diesel is not a smoke producing additive, it is simply a dye. Most things using red diesel don't need to adhere to emissions so they just chug on. The quality of the diesel may be slightly less if at all but it's the same.
Chip oil, well it smells of chips.( I've no experience in this ).

The week before last on my commute I held up a car as I was In primary approaching a central reserve.
Once past it, he tear-arsed past me in his WRS with baby-walker handle on the boot, belching smoke.
About a mile down the road he was at te side of the road....blown head at least as there was a lovely haze a round his car and lots of fluid of some sort tricking away from under the engine - god must be a cyclist too ;)

Red diesel is not a smoke producing additive, it is simply a dye. Most things using red diesel don't need to adhere to emissions so they just chug on. The quality of the diesel may be slightly less if at all but it's the same.
Chip oil, well it smells of chips.( I've no experience in this ).

Mentioned red diesel as I'm told it's quality isn't as good, causing the smoke. And yes, the chip oil does smell like it ^_^

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I tend to hold my breath if it's a bit fumey, especially behind busses. Can be a fun challenge to get past a row of them without breathing! If I do happen to breathe in fumes, before it goes right down I breathe out very sharply.
When it's cold and I've not warmed up I sometimes enjoy passing through the warm blast of a bus exhaust. I do try not to breathe it in though. Mmmm toasty.

Red Diesel is produced under BS2869 and is generally available as grade A2 with a cetane rating of 45. A higher cetane rating provides a better ignition quality and in comparison road diesel is produced to meet EN590 and has a cetane rating of 51.

The reality is that the difference in quality is minimal.

Thanks, I'll pass that on to the guy who told me :thumbsup:

Top Bottom