Fat and Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin Rees

Unleash the Geek
HI

just joined the forum today and looking for some advice. I have had a trawl through the forum and haven't found anything specifically relating to this. I have been cycling recreationally for about 3 years. last year I took part in and completed the London to Brighton and I regularly (once a week) do a 30 mile cycle. this being said even now I still get saddle sore when on a long cycle. I have a Cannondale Quick CX3 with the standard saddle but I have also tried gel seats.

to clarify the title I currently weigh 20st (this is going down) so I'm wondering is the pain down to my weight or down to my saddle or down to my cycle position. I have measured my saddle size and I the one have is the correct size so I'm fairly certain its not this but I cannot be sure.

If anyone can offer advise on how to improve the butts resistance/stamina that would be great.

thanks

Martin

vickster

Legendary Member
Padded shorts

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Charge Spoon saddles get a great deal of good review, on this and other forums. I have a Cannondale H 600, and use a very narrow avenir saddle with very little foam involved. I cannot at all tolerate gel saddles. You may have narrow sit bones and need a smaller, less padded saddle. A Brooks may be a good idea in the future, although they are expensive, and take a while to break in. I am 6'4" and 22 Stone.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My two penneth:

Padded shorts if you aren't using them at the minute and wash them after every ride. The cleaner you are the better, so it might seem OTT but wash before you ride and definitely straight after as well. Also buy some Sudocrem. As you ride more and lose weight the saddle soreness will disappear.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
It could be the way you are riding, lift bum slightly off the saddle when going over bumps, don't grip the bars too tightly either.
Most of your weight should be taken through your legs & on the pedals.

Welcome to the group Martin.

Having gone from some 35 stone to 23.5 through cycling, I feel your pain.
I've not personally changed my saddle, although I am now looking at a few, the charge spoon is indeed looking tempting, although would prefer a test of it first, and to find out why it's getting the rave reviews (@Gravity Aided , can you shed any light?).

As some have suggested, for the long rides, you can try padded boxers, bibs shorts/tights or padded tights out, see if that helps. I have a few now, and doing 60 miles is a breeze... now...

It does take some getting used to on the long rides. Maybe try and put a few more in, where you can, as this will help you become more accustomed.
I can manage about 30 miles without the padding, then I after I know I've reached my limit.

I definitely agree with @Old Plodder , relax and enjoy the ride, speed bumps and the ilk, lift up and let your legs do the suspension work for you.

Other than that, keep on spinning!

Have a read of THIS to see what cycling can do for you as well, (I'm sure you already know but this guy is awesome) :thumbsup:

Top Bottom