Female, brakes and small hands!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
I have been riding a hybrid for a few years (with disc brakes) and recently bought my first road bike. It is a Jamis Xenith Endura Sport and I am loving it. I am, however, having a problem with the brakes as I feel that I can't reach them properly from the hoods and they don't feel anywhere near as responsive as what i am used to. This is scaring me on downhill runs and I was wondering if any other women with fairly small hands have the same problem. Is it just a question of getting used to it or are there any suggestions that anyone can make?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have been riding a hybrid for a few years (with disc brakes) and recently bought my first road bike. It is a Jamis Xenith Endura Sport and I am loving it. I am, however, having a problem with the brakes as I feel that I can't reach them properly from the hoods and they don't feel anywhere near as responsive as what i am used to. This is scaring me on downhill runs and I was wondering if any other women with fairly small hands have the same problem. Is it just a question of getting used to it or are there any suggestions that anyone can make?
I believe there are little shims that can be fitted to bring the levers closer to your fingers for braking. Have you a local bike shop that could take a look? Probably just be a couple of pounds I would imagine.

Shaun

Founder
There are a couple of braking positions when using drops:

7383345516_42606a5698[1].jpg

7383345066_65a2296f7f[1].jpg

Hi Julia,

Braking from the hoods definitely takes some getting used to and I remember it feeling "spongy" when I first got a road bike - but I got used to it.

I would suggest leaning over and using the drops for downhill braking (if it feels comfortable to do so) as you can put more power down - but it might be worth having the shop check your brake lever position too as you may benefit from moving them to a different position on your bars if they are physically difficult to reach / use properly.

Could someone take a photo of your hands in the positions above and (you) post them here? Then some of the more experienced members here could hopefully advise. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Tyke

I have small hands for a man and had same problem I found it hard to find a shop with the shims in stock as most said they come with bike but when I did find them they came in a set of thick and thin shims to give a choice of positions.

The result was better than expected and the LBS in Selby gave them for free which made be go back for other things later despite it being a 40 mile round trip

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't have especially small hands, but use the crosslevers on my daily bike all the time, never use the main brakes, although I am told they brake better. If braking is scary now, look into crosslevers. Talk to your LBS, is the rest of the fit ok? Maybe a shorter stem, flipped stem or slightly tipped up bars may help if you don't want to add the other brakes (you do lose a lot of handlebar space)

I have some spare crosslevers from my Giant (had to replace when changed to a narrower bar) if you'd like them for a few quid :smile:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
100% +1 for shims. I can now comfortably brake from the hoods at 30+mph whereas before I got them fitted I had to be on the drops to cope with any speed over 20mph.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have quite big hands but still prefer to use the fatter shims that get the brakes closer to the bars. I have 105 Brifters and the options are 5mm or 10mm shims.

As already suggested fitting cross-top levers (I have these as standard on my CX bike) would be a good option. I find them invaluable for braking in town when I tend to sit more upright on the bars for better visibility plus when going over rougher ground.

Would not cost much for your LBS to retro-fit these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tektro-rl720-series-brake-levers/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Dynamic Search Ads Cycle&referid=googwig&gclid=CK3rrbqpsbgCFfMctAodvV4AjA

Bill-H

slow and steady
Shims all the way

shyfire

Having not long got a roadbike I'm struggling with braking from the hoods too. Fingers 'just' go round the brakes high up but there isn't enough leverage/pressure being applied to the brakes. Anyone know if cross-top levers are an option with shimano tiagra sti shifters?

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
sorry for any confusion, they are fitted to my OH's bike and she swears by them (not at them) and uses them 99% of the time. At about 10 to 15 quid they were a very good investment and definitely worth a go. I have shovels for hands and need to fit the bighand gromits supplied with my bike.

shyfire

No problem thegravestoneman, I knew what you meant really but always worth checking. My ex probably thought I loved my 'beloved' bike more than him :whistle:
Thanks for the pic jefmcg. Now I've seen how they fit in relation to the drops I think that might be a good solution, at least to get started and feeling a comfortable on the roadbike.

Top Bottom