Fiat Panda

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My wife is thinking of buying a brand new Fiat Panda. Does anyone have one and what are your thoughts on it?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Been in a few new ones. Seem well built, comfortable and reasonably specced. Diesel ones use the same engine as used in the Vauxhall Corsa.
I wouldn't turn my nose up a one.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I had a Fiat Secento, my mate had a Fiat 500. We were both dogged with problems. Fix It Again Tomorrow seems about right for Fiat. I could only advise anyone to steer well lear of any Fiat car. In my experience they are built poorly, often go wrong, aren't the cheapest to fix (unless under warranty), the after service isn't great and I could go on.

Honestly, do yourself a favour, they might look good but they are cheap for a reason. Get her an Audi A1.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Now't wrong with Mrs Wife's Fiat 500, she's had it 6 six years from brand-new-out-of-the-box, 94000 miles, runs sweet as a nut, and only just replaced the rear tyres. Passed the 3 MOTs it's had so far and the body works looks good as new. She does clean it every week though.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We've had them on hire for ski holidays and thought they were good. With winter tyres they are excellent in snow.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

Fubar

Guru
Now't wrong with Mrs Wife's Fiat 500, she's had it 6 six years from brand-new-out-of-the-box, 94000 miles, runs sweet as a nut, and only just replaced the rear tyres. Passed the 3 MOTs it's had so far and the body works looks good as new. She does clean it every week though.

Similar, we had a Fiat 500 Twinair for a year, Mrs Fu loved it and there was never any problems - though the Twinair was really underpowered going uphills, lots of wind-noise on a motorway and hardly any room in the back. Other than that it was great!

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Well, been to see the dealer this morning. Cost brand new: £10 575. Take £1000 offer from Fiat and £2500 also off for being a teacher. Left to pay: £7075. How is that for a brand new car with 3 years guarantee. We are definitely going for it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought a secondhand one in 1988. It was great fun to drive and was fairly reliable mechanically...but it rusted like it was going out of fashion. Fiat are always claiming that they have solved the rust problem. Maybe they have. I don't know. I read a review of the four wheel drive version which contained the sentence..." Just the thing for when the going gets tough outside Habitat."

I've had a few Fiats, and they were okay. I'm not sure if I'd give my view much stock though, I have low standards and lower expectation.

On a side note, given most of their other car models are numbers, I wonder why they chose to give this one a name, and then why 'Panda'? It looks nothing like a panda and certainly doesn't run on bamboo. They do a four by four version too. Shouldn't that be called 'grizzly' or something?

Top Bottom