Fiat Panda

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gatters

Well, been to see the dealer this morning. Cost brand new: £10 575. Take £1000 offer from Fiat and £2500 also off for being a teacher. Left to pay: £7075. How is that for a brand new car with 3 years guarantee. We are definitely going for it.
Thats a great buy, Please explain the -£1000 and -£2500 further ?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've had a few Fiats, and they were okay. I'm not sure if I'd give my view much stock though, I have low standards and lower expectation.

On a side note, given most of their other car models are numbers, I wonder why they chose to give this one a name, and then why 'Panda'? It looks nothing like a panda and certainly doesn't run on bamboo. They do a four by four version too. Shouldn't that be called 'grizzly' or something?

If I recall correctly, back in the early 80's when the Fiat Panda first came on to the market, they were painted black and white. The were a very basic car and the seats were like a cross between a hammock and a deck chair.

Just a thought on this - assuming she is set on a new car and wants one about that size: why a Panda and not a 500?

The 500 costs about a Grand more but will hold its value much more and so repay the extra cost. That said it is a bit smaller as the 500 loses some space due to its styling.

In the same situation I would opt for a Peugeot 108. Mrs OTH has a 2 year old 208 and it is a fantastic car. I think the 108 has the practicality of a Panda and style that is as good as the 500 so is not an either/or choice.

When it gets down to it, cars are all rather good these days. 99% of it is just down to what you like. So if she likes the Panda then better to have that than get something she will not like.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The 500 is funky and a good car for fashion conscious ..they even go up hills now..apparently..

ive had a Fiat van since 06 brand new..its had 1 new rear shock and 2 wheel bearings.

if you look after them there fine,treat it badly and you will pay..

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I read some 500s were seriously underpowered, some folk struggle to pull away on hills etc. Just what I read some time ago....
I had a loan Panda, probably a 2013 model, diesel, fairly pokey, reasonably economical...although not startlingly. Not my kind of car but it didnt seem too shabby at all.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Every car you ask for advice about will bring forth tales of unreliability from those who've owned a duffer. But as said, there are very few bad cars about now, any real dogs wouldn't have a life as long as the Panda. A mate is on his second and always buys small Fiats.

Sandra6

Veteran
Best car we had was a fiat panda bought in 1998 for £250 lasted a year and died spectacularly after drinking about 5 litres of Evian on the York ring road.
The new style ones are surprisingly spacious and very easy to fit carseats into. Beyond that, I don't know

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Ok , decision made now. Today we test drove the Fiat Panda, Hyundai I10 and Renault Twingo. The Twingo won hands down so we ordered one and we should have it end of September. I am very pleased with my Captur so should also be with a Twingo for my wife.

Top Bottom