Fiat Panda

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
The Panda was the best car. I know because I own one of the older models, acquired from a grandparent.. who gave it to me because she bought a brand new i10 in 2014. This lasted about three months before it was sold (bought at 10k, sold at 4.5k Korean cars for you), it was terrible! Even compared to other cheap cars. She bought another new Fiat Panda in September - the latest model I assume you decided against - this shares the same mechanicals with the older one I have but an all new body and interior :-)

Glad you steered against the i10!

Can't comment on the Twingo right enough, but if it's like those Dacia's Renault are making I'd imagine its well put together for its category :-)

My daughter has one. Not the current model, but the last one. Bought at about 18 months old, it had a serious fault. The engine kept cutting out without warning. Turned out to be a faulty engine wiring loom. That was changed under warranty and since then she has done who knows how many miles with no probs at all. And she drives like an Italian - flat out everywhere! If it can survive that, it can survive anything.

I had it for a week or so, and it drove really well. It is the smallest engined one 900cc? and was a bit weak on motorway, but otherwise absolutely fine.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have driven one a few times - hire cars - and would have one in a heartbeat. I used to have a proper Panda and it was brilliant.
The new ones seem well specced, economical and either free or cheap VED. I saw a nice yellow one, the other day, with cartoon pictures of The Beatles down the side. Made me smile anyway.

cycle_bug

I originally was a Fiat disser but have learned to live with and love the little Italian cars. My next car will be a Panda - small, economical and fun for all the short times I'd need it! (cycling the rest, of course).

Cheap enough to buy, then when that investment is made maybe a bike half its cost ;-) hehe

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Honestly, do yourself a favour, they might look good but they are cheap for a reason. Get her an Audi A1.

Get an Audi A1? I'm sure the OP could get the same/similar car as an A1 with a Seat, or Skoda badge for way less (manufactured by the same company, same engine, gearbox, similar everything), than an A1. If they are looking at a Fiat Panda, I'm sure that they couldn't care less about an Audi badge, and certainly don't want to pay the premium that it commands, for a Skoda in-drag. The bigger, way more expensive Audi's are obviously different, but the small/medium sized ones aren't. Everybody to their own though. I always thought the Panda was a good car. Personally I'd be looking at Hyundai or Kia. Look at the warranty, they are obviously more confident regarding their product than the VAG group are, with their offerings.

Last edited:

cycle_bug

Get an Audi A1? I'm sure the OP could get the same/similar car as an A1 with a Seat, or Skoda badge for way less (manufactured by the same company, same engine, gearbox, similar everything), than an A1. If they are looking at a Fiat Panda, I'm sure that they couldn't care less about an Audi badge, and certainly don't want to pay the premium that it commands, for a Skoda in-drag. The bigger, way more expensive Audi's are obviously different, but the small/medium sized ones aren't. Everybody to their own though. I always thought the Panda was a good car. Personally I'd be looking at Hyundai or Kia. Look at the warranty, they are obviously more confident regarding their product than the VAG group are, with their offerings.

The warranty for Hyundai and Kia are more of an accounting practice for the company trust me. Their cars aren't built any better or more 'confidently' than anyone else

We've got a '64' plate as a second car (behind my '11' plate Octavia estate)
It's a fair bit bigger than the last shape, & oddly given that it's bigger/heavier, more economical
You do seem to sit a lot higher than some small cars, & have better visibility

However, to 'make progress', you've got to drive it like an Italian - lots of revs, & almost bounce it off the red-line (it's the 1.2 petrol)
It won't accelerate on many hills, unless you do that, or drop a gear

Would I have another one??
No, I'd have a Fabia, which I wanted, but couldn't find a good deal
Failing that, drop down to a CitiGo, or (ideally!) have a Morris Minor 'Traveller' (half a dozen spanners, & completely DIY, apart from maybe the timber?)

Top Bottom