Films that Bombed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Funnily enough one of my favourites was unsuccessful - the Wicker Man

Appeared in various forms, edits and lengths, but became a cult classic.

It looks like the Wicker Tree is going the same way after disappearing from the US screens
Presume you are referring to Woodward version not Cage. Please tell me not Cage....

and bear in mind some films become cult 'classics' precisely because they are so lovably awful.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"Motherhood" starring Uma Thurman bombed quite spectacularly, but the budget was only $10m so it doesn't make the list. According to Wikipedia: "The box office gross was £9 on its opening night and £88 on its opening weekend; only eleven viewers purchased a ticket, with only one person attending its first showing."

" The box office gross was £9"

Wow. An opening night gross that didn't reach double figures. That is some kind of achievement.

Reminds me of a story I heard about Ms Thurman appearing in a stage performance of the Diary of Anne Frank. Her performance being such that on the first night, when the Germans burst in, there was a cry from the stalls of 'she's in the attic!'

The Adventures of Pluto Nash. Really? There was a film called The Adventures of Pluto Nash? That cost (presumably) over $100 million? Again, wow.

Sahara was bad.

The Book is ok.

Cussler hated the script - so they told him to get stuffed.
You'd think making a hash of Raise the Titanic (where the soundtrack deserves a better movie) would have been a lesson learned.

Treated properly they could have competed with Bond, but if these offerings are all they can do, then best to leave well alone.
Hollywood is too obsessed with pretty people and tired formulas.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My post or that ghastly film, TC?

Bluenite

'Blazing Sadles' and 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' both bombed, but they are now cult classics (and i love them still)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think that the dust has yet to settle on John Carter, but that it will make the list before too long.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Personally I thought John Carter was a perfectly watchable popcorn movie.
My young son however was enthralled, and has spent the last couple of days jumping over mountains and battling 4 armed martians...

But then I loved Stardust too, so what do I know?

BSRU

A Human Being
Cutthroat Island was so bad it bankrupted the company that made it, Caroloco, the company responsible for classics such as Total Recall and Terminator 2.

I unfortunately saw Ridley Scott's 'Robin Hood' last night and thought it was a ridiculous film.

I think the only thing they got right (with regard to history) was the spelling of Nottingham when the scene was there.

Robin Hood (or more accurately, Maximus Decimus Meridius) was not just an archer, but an elite soldier and master horseman.

Avoid it!

Top Bottom