Finally...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I finally got around to buying Arabella (the Dawes hybrid) a spare inner tube today, plus a multi spanner (no QR on her).
I just need to get a bag for the rack - don't want anything too big and have (almost!) settled on the Altura Dryline bag.

That leaves me the seat to replace...I'm going to try re-positioning the one that's on there first, as I've only done about 20 miles on the bike.
The front brake is still really juddery...can't see any obvious reason (wheel buckle etc) and I've been really gentle using it. It may need a little trip into the LBS to check it out.
:smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
Are the front brake blocks toed in properly?

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Are the front brake blocks toed in properly?
Erm, I don't know :blush:
There's no noise when braking, the rim is smooth, the wheel doesn't seem buckled, but no matter how gently I pull on the brake lever, it judders, getting progressively worse the harder you pull on it.

Mark White

I finally got around to buying Arabella (the Dawes hybrid) a spare inner tube today, plus a multi spanner (no QR on her).
I just need to get a bag for the rack - don't want anything too big and have (almost!) settled on the Altura Dryline bag.

A hint I found which made sense was to keep the spare tube in a plastic bag with some talcum powder in it. If the tube is loose in a canvassy saddle bag, it can chafe.

Rebuttals or more sage wisdom is welcome :smile:

Batgirl

In Disguise!

That leaves me the seat to replace...I'm going to try re-positioning the one that's on there first, as I've only done about 20 miles on the bike.
The front brake is still really juddery...can't see any obvious reason (wheel buckle etc) and I've been really gentle using it. It may need a little trip into the LBS to check it out.
:smile:
have a look in the have you found a bargain thread, there were some lovely girlie panniers in there - not too girlie but nice ones for £10 each. :smile: free postage if you buy two.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Erm, I don't know :blush:
There's no noise when braking, the rim is smooth, the wheel doesn't seem buckled, but no matter how gently I pull on the brake lever, it judders, getting progressively worse the harder you pull on it.
Are the brakes fully tightened and secured to the fork? It sounds like they may be slightly loose and setting up a vibration when used.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Are the brakes fully tightened and secured to the fork? It sounds like they may be slightly loose and setting up a vibration when used.
I'll check that!

compo

Veteran
A hint I found which made sense was to keep the spare tube in a plastic bag with some talcum powder in it. If the tube is loose in a canvassy saddle bag, it can chafe.

Rebuttals or more sage wisdom is welcome :smile:

I also keep my tubes in some talc. It helps prevent perishing if not used for some time and helps to make fitting the tube a lot easier.

stephec

Legendary Member
I don't know.
I'll check over the brakes and if it's the same it will be going into the LBS

Pull the front brake on hard and rock the bike backwards and forwards, if the headset is loose you might be able to feel a rattling coming through the handlebar stem and you'll see the forks moving in relation to the head tube.

If that's ok then grip each brake caliper where the cables attach to it and see if you can push it away from the forks. If you can then tighten up the bolts securing the caliper to the forks.

If either of those two don't cure it then it's difficult to comment further without seeing it in the flesh.

Top Bottom