Fined and given points for driving too fast and close.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
We could say the driver intentionally drove at them and they were scared.
If the driver protests this not true, then he/she is admitting to not being in control of the vehicle. Is that any better?

We could say that and it may be considered slightly better as at least it wasn't intentional, the penalty imposed would reflect the very poor lack of judgement they showed and hopefully they learn.

Tell me what could or should the cyclists have done

I already have. Considering the tightness of that road imo, they could have stopped or stayed slightly further to the left.

cyclists reported that they felt the driving was deliberately aimed at them

They may have felt that but it doesn't meant that's the case.

I 'feel' that this is starting to go around in circles as we all have differing opinions which isn't a bad thing but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere so will leave it a that. I respect your view but cannot see it entirely as you do and vice versa it seems.
To reiterate however, I haven't said the driver is blameless and will re state that the standard of driving was poor and they deserve the penalty imposed. I just think the cyclists can learn from this too.

boydj

Legendary Member
I already have. Considering the tightness of that road imo, they could have stopped or stayed slightly further to the left.

But you're cycling along, there's a parked car that you pull out to pass, avoiding the door zone, and then for no apparent reason there's an oncoming car pulling over into your lane at speed. The cyclists were already moving wide enough to pass the parked car before the driver in the opposite lane veered towards their lane. The road is not that tight, since the cyclists never got within a metre of the centre line.

The timing says that the cyclists never had an option to change their behaviour.

I’m amazed at some of the comments on this thread! Surely trolls masquerading as ‘cyclists’? If the ’law’ has moved to find a driver guilty and imposed a reasonable sentence then it’s pretty much cut and dried. Looking at the vid I can’t see it’s anything other than a good/correct decision.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Something not yet mentioned (I think?) is that it is usually wise to pull out early when passing parked cars else some clown behind will try and overtake squeezing you into the car. People in the other lane don't generally drive at you after all !

PK99

Legendary Member
There are two issues at play here:

1. Was the driver in the wrong? Was the prosecution correct? Yes & Yes

2. Was the road positioning of the cyclist wise? Would I have done the same? Would I recommend other cyclists to follow their example? No, No, and No.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Was the road positioning of the cyclist wise? Would I have done the same?
Given that the car was, by all accounts, travelling at least 3 times as fast as the bike, the cyclist would have pulled out to overtake the parked car well before the oncoming car was on the scene.

Abandoning the overtake, apart from being something that should not have been necessary, would have required some pretty sharpish braking by the rider.

Is that how you're proposing we should all ride?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Was the road positioning of the cyclist wise?

Should they have ridden closer to driver’s door of the parked car, or passed the obstruction by hopping onto the pavement?

Ridiculous defending the car driver. Saying that the cyclists could have slowed or stopped - and then what - the bloody driver is still in their lane. You're probably more stable moving than stopped to unclip in a hurry anyway.

I've had a muppet in a BMW come round a corner wide - end up on my side of the road and then beep me. Absolute state of driving today.

In fact I've decided to get another camera for the bike after a couple of punishment passes this week. I've plenty of time to send off the reports.

https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bullet-action-camera/

Top Bottom