First Aid Kits - Who carries what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I am relatively new to "serious" cycling. I have, however, been involved in different outdoor activities (a Duke of Edinburgh expedition leader, ski/mountain guide etc) for many years. For these sort of activities I always, always carry some sort of first aid kit. What I carry varies with the exact activity, where my group is going and what I see to be the potential risks, but there is always my little red bag at the bottom of my rucksack.

However, in the few months I have been back in my bike I must admit that I have not really carried anything. Also, when out with a couple of different local club rides I have not been aware of anyone in the group having anything with them either. That said though, these are both pretty relaxed clubs, matched by some pretty relaxed rides from the group too. I understand that things are different on more serious, longer events.

What triggered this post though was an incident last week. The group I was cycling with came across another cyclist (not from our club) who had come off her bike. It seems as if she had tapped the rear wheel of her friend who was cycling in front of her and had gone over the handlebars. She was on a hybrid-type bike and had caught the end of the handlebars in her belly as she went over. She was complaining of serious abdominal pain and, for the hour (!) we had to wait for an ambulance, she deteriorated rapidly - her pulse was all over the place, she was in shock and she stopped breathing twice. Luckily, I am a first aider and had a lot of help from an off duty nurse who arrived on the scene and we did what we could.

Thankfully, the ambulance finally arrived and we have since heard that after emergency surgery for internal bleeding and a ruptured gut/spleen she is on the road to recovery.

Now, I realise that such incidents are mercifully rare, but how well are we prepared when we hit the roads (no pun intended)? Since last week I am now taking a few essentials - just a few bits to cope with road rash and cuts. What do others take?

J

outlash

also available in orange
I take nothing personally. For the times I've come off, I don't think I would have carried anything that would have made a difference anyway.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I used to have an OTT mini first aid kit with me, the patch up stuff was bandages, micropore, finger splint, triangular bandage and space blanket. I never had cause to use them on a ride (*) and as I've retreated from longer and more isolated rides, I've eventually discarded it all from my pack.

(*) they did come in handy when a lad on a bike was sent flying by an inattentive bus driver near home. Patched his scrapes up and kept him space blanketed until the ambulance arrived. I gave him my details as I said I'd keep his bike safe, by the time he came for it I'd straightened the bent bits & done a bit of fettling to it to get it running and stopping just so and added some basic lights for him.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
A phone is the most useful in the situation you gave, I've usually got some kind of kit on me, but it might be no more than plasters and wipes, depending on which one is chucked in the bag, and so far that's mostly what I've used - but I think that comes from being a Mum. I have used larger adhesive dressings to get my kids to the end of a journey, kids and some adults are better when they can't see the wound in its full glory. Luckily I've not had anything more major to deal with. I've also got a foil blanket in mine normally.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
There appear to be two types of injuries from cycling. Those that require a dressing(cuts, scrapes, road rash, etc.) and those that require an emergency room and ambulance. Little in-between. So I carry basic stuff for cuts and scrapes, and leave it at that. Anything beyond that, and I'm calling help.

Norry1

Legendary Member
hmmm, I carry nothing, but if a space blanket is virtually no weight, might be worth it on more exposed rides. Phones are great until there is no reception.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe a few plasters and some antiseptic wipes for road rash. My bigger spills recently have found me being checked by paramedics or in A&E. I always have paracetamol and ibuprofen for my various ails too! I don't generally ride on my own far from home

Last edited:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Antiseptic wipes for cuts and that is all. The few times I've come off I've ended up with road rash and minor cuts which were easy enough to get on with until I got home. As others have said anything more nasty and it would be ambulance job

Top Bottom