First Cycle Camping Tour - Tour Report!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
Thank you Sara ,TwoInTow and Middleagecyclist for sharing your trips. I have been considering trying to visit the UK within the next year or two to do some bicycling and sightseeing. Both of your trips encourage me even more. I would probably not camp because of getting all the necessary equipment over from the US. More likely I would use motels and B and Bs. The rail system there also sounds very helpful for the type of trip I think I would like. Now all i have to do is work on my riding stamina and save my money. :smile:

headcoat

Über Member
Sounds like you had a great trip, and glad the weather and punture didn't put your son off. I wish I'd took mine years ago, it impossible to get them on a bike even for a short ride now.

It's got me excited again for my 5 day IoM trip next week!

Tiberius Baltar

Im glad you had a good time on your mini tour. I'm 32 years old and I still really enjoy the company of my dad when he comes out with me on the bike! These memories will shape your boy into a fine man and hopefully he will remember these times fondly when he gets older and starts his own family.

Thanks for posting Sara enjoyed it and its great to know that there are youngsters out there who will be touring when us old ones are gone.
874639e9.jpg

Off we go along the trail. About five miles in we have a puncture! My multi tool doesn't fit his wheel nuts! Doh! Luckily a passing chap has the correct size spanner and hast the inner tube changed in a jiffy.
b9401b70.jpg

We stop at Parsley Hay for lunch, buy correct spanner, just in case! There has evidently been a very heavy down pour, but we missed it.
Not long after we arrive at our camp site, The Royal Oak at Hurdlow. Tent is soon up and we scoff veggie sausage and Smash!
da34af19.jpg

b4133a8d.jpg

Next morning we pack up in the rain, but it stops as we leave. We have breakfsat in the pub before we go. It's lovely, but a bit on the steep size. That said, its huge and we make some of it into sandwhiches which are had for supper later.

We head off down Tissington Trail. Its down hill for the most part - Wheeeeee! We stop mostly only for trail mix.
2919ee24.jpg

We turn off the trail at Tissington and follow route 54 through the Tissington estate along quiet country lanes which offer some fabulous views.
cc93095f.jpg

Not long after we arrive at our camp site near Carsinton Water, The Pudding Room - The owner has a bakery and shop onsite. She's in the right job, I can confirm that her pusddings and her campsite (flat campsite - epic!) are both excellent. Son pretends to be a zombie in the night and scares me to death.
Next morning we pack up in the rain again. Head off down route 54 to Carsington Water and do a circuit of the resevoir, before following the route back to the high peak trail and retracing our tyre tracks to middleton top.
3bc93178.jpg

Sad to say its the end of our first cycle camping tour and we can't wait to go again!

What have we learned? We packed too much food. I need a new pair of Crocs. Other campers are jealous when you arrive by bike. Monopoly Deal card game is addictive and makes young boys cheat. We love cycle camping!!!![/quote]

P.H

Über Member
What a grand tour!
That climb up from Carrsington to Middleton Top is as tough as anything you'll find on the Coast and Castles route if you stick to the coastal option. Parts of it are a bit rough and it's not always easy to follow, it's still a lovely route.

AnneW

Über Member
Great read thanks Sara. It's only about 20 miles away from me and we've done the Tissington a few times as a day trip, gorgeous up there. I wish we'd got our son into it when he was younger, but we only started cycling about 4 year ago. Son's 18 now and NOT interested, infact he thinks we're mad.

I'm off to read the links to the other rides now :thumbsup:

Top Bottom