First hit & run, am I *real* cyclist now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lucksmith

I got totalled just a few metres from my house the other day. Broad day light, plenty of witnesses, this guy turned straight across me without indicating or looking.

His wing-mirror got smashed up and he got a bit of a mouthful from me. My bike's mostly alright (luckily it was my old one, if it was my new one I'd have been even more livid), my elbow was trashed and my hoodie got covered in blood & a big rip in it.

I got one witness's phone number (though a number of people offered) and walked home to have a bath.

I called the police who said they'll send me a form til fill out and then they'll see if the car insurer will say who was driving. They weren't interested in talking to me or finding the guy any time soon.

The next day I went to the pharmacist to get something to bandage my elbow. He said I really needed to see a doctor. The drop-in GP told me I had to go to A&E. 8 hours after I left home I finally got back with some bandages, a belly full of pain-killers, and a story about how the doc was surprised that my elbow wasn't broken, and how the chunk that was missing was "too big to be stitched".

Now I'm just sore, and while I'm glad I'm not seriously injured (my boss would have gone mad if I'd have been off for a few weeks), I also feel like I've got nothing to show for an entire Friday spent traipsing around getting fixed up cos this idiot can't drive.

The police haven't explained at all what might happen from now, but I imagine that the fact that I'll be fully healed in a week or two and that my bike isn't wrecked. I really don't fancy having to go to court or anything, and frankly, I don't really want this guy to lose his licence or anything. I just wanted some uniform bods to show up and put the shoots up him so maybe he'll pay more attention next time.

buh.

Anyway, I've been hit by a car in broad day light just metres from my house, does this mean I'm a *real* cyclist now?

oldstrath

Über Member
I got totalled just a few metres from my house the other day. Broad day light, plenty of witnesses, this guy turned straight across me without indicating or looking.

His wing-mirror got smashed up and he got a bit of a mouthful from me. My bike's mostly alright (luckily it was my old one, if it was my new one I'd have been even more livid), my elbow was trashed and my hoodie got covered in blood & a big rip in it.

I got one witness's phone number (though a number of people offered) and walked home to have a bath.

I called the police who said they'll send me a form til fill out and then they'll see if the car insurer will say who was driving. They weren't interested in talking to me or finding the guy any time soon.

The next day I went to the pharmacist to get something to bandage my elbow. He said I really needed to see a doctor. The drop-in GP told me I had to go to A&E. 8 hours after I left home I finally got back with some bandages, a belly full of pain-killers, and a story about how the doc was surprised that my elbow wasn't broken, and how the chunk that was missing was "too big to be stitched".

Now I'm just sore, and while I'm glad I'm not seriously injured (my boss would have gone mad if I'd have been off for a few weeks), I also feel like I've got nothing to show for an entire Friday spent traipsing around getting fixed up cos this idiot can't drive.

The police haven't explained at all what might happen from now, but I imagine that the fact that I'll be fully healed in a week or two and that my bike isn't wrecked. I really don't fancy having to go to court or anything, and frankly, I don't really want this guy to lose his licence or anything. I just wanted some uniform bods to show up and put the shoots up him so maybe he'll pay more attention next time.

buh.

Anyway, I've been hit by a car in broad day light just metres from my house, does this mean I'm a *real* cyclist now?

Sounds like exactly someone who should lose his licence, but even if the police can
be bothered to find him I doubt he would lose it. If you have legal cover probably worth talking to a lawyer.

OP
OP
lucksmith

lucksmith

I don't think I've got any cover (if I do it'll be on the household policy) but I was just looking into cover this week. Maybe I'll take the plunge after pay day.

I guess I'll see what the cops say when I've done my homework, but like I say, I'd rather they showed up within 48 hours and gave him a dressing down, I;d;ve thought that would be at least as effective as a Strongly Worded Letter a month after the event :-/

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Depends what you want to achieve.

You've done what you can with the police by reporting it.

Coppers are resilient to acting upon instructions from the public, so they will do what they want with the report, whether that be something or nothing.

If you want compensation for bike/personal injury, you can claim directly from the other driver's insurer.

You get those details from the askMID website.

Personal injury claims can be very complex, but if as you say, you will be fully healed in a couple of weeks, your claim is simpler.

If it was me, I would ask the insurance company for something for my pain and trouble with a view to accepting about £250, plus the cost of bike/clothing damage.

http://www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I hope your ok asap, i would havegot the police involved there and then rather than waiting though, not sure it would make any difference to the outcome .

OP
OP
lucksmith

lucksmith

I'll be alright, like I say, after spending pretty much an entire day being redirected by various medical health professionals I kinda feel let down that all I got was some bandages and pain killers (which is exactly what I'd gone into the pharmacy for in the first place! I was so confident that that's all I needed that I was actually wearing my pajamas under my jeans/coat).

I called the police as soon as I got home! They just said someone would call me within 24 hours (they did, I missed the call as I was cleaning up my wounds) but all it said was "The car is insured. Fill out this form when you get it."

I'm not really after compensation. I'm a fairly resiliant individual, and although I've not been on a bike since then I will have to get on one tomorrow as it's my only way of getting to work, so I'll soon get my confidence back. It'd be nice if someone would pay to have my hoodie replaced, though (it's basically my only one!).

If you still feel it's not taken seriously, please notify your elected representatives at www.writeToThem.com because removing such bad motorists from the roads would improve cycling immensely!

I might just do that. We've only recently moved here but the local MP seems to be a decent guy from what people have to say about him.

Depends what you want to achieve.

You've done what you can with the police by reporting it.

If it was me, I would ask the insurance company for something for my pain and trouble with a view to accepting about £250, plus the cost of bike/clothing damage.

http://www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx

I'm not keen on filling out this sort of form as I have already had 2-3 texts claiming they can get me a settlement. I can only imagine this spam is a coincidence cos I've had similar before. I'm tired of leeches like that trying to do me a "favour" by sucking every penny out of someone for their own benefit.

Ultimately, I'm not on the make, and I don;t see that "punishing" stupidity/negligence is the best course of action, I want someone to shake this dude and make sure he understands that mirrors (and indicators) are there for good reason!

"then they'll see if the car insurer will say who was driving".

The insurance company would be able to say who was insured (assuming someone is), but the person driving may not be the same person who is insured to drive it.

"and how the chunk that was missing was "too big to be stitched".
Will you really be fully healed in a week or two?

Either way, I hope you get it all sorted out, and I wish you well.

Tin Pot

Guru
You'll certainly think about riding and drivers differently, but it's not a badge of entry.

Hope there's no permanent damage and the mofo gets strung up.

OP
OP
lucksmith

lucksmith

"then they'll see if the car insurer will say who was driving".

The insurance company would be able to say who was insured (assuming someone is), but the person driving may not be the same person who is insured to drive it.
Yeah, it's definitely insured, so someone's name is up there, but it may not have been the driver. And honestly, I couldn't tell you what the guy looked like (was pretty shook up) and he didn't leave his name...

"and how the chunk that was missing was "too big to be stitched".
Will you really be fully healed in a week or two?

It's more that it was an actual CHUNK that was taken out, cos there was no way of sewing one bit to the other bit because "they were not meant to fit." The doctor said it'll leave a cool scar and I should make up a story involving a shark or something (she actually said this).

It'll be fine, I'm sure. The x-ray showed that there was no glass/grit in there, so it shouldn't get infected, and I have to start riding tomorrow, so it'll HAVE to get better. Woe betide anyone who might knock me off my bike in the next week or so. I am likely to GO OFF.

You'll certainly think about riding and drivers differently, but it's not a badge of entry.

Boo, I want a badge!

Hope there's no permanent damage and the mofo gets strung up.

Scars on elbows don't even look cool cos elbows are sort of gross anyway. Ah well. And if someone DOES try to string the guy up I'll actually intervene, I'm not really inclined to capital punishment! ;-)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not keen on filling out this sort of form as I have already had 2-3 texts claiming they can get me a settlement.

You misunderstand.

AskMiD merely gets you the name of the other driver's insurance company to enable you to make a claim.

It is a genuine service offered by the insurance industry, and one for which you have to pay £4 per search.

If you claimed, you could add the four quid to the claim as part of your expenses caused by the crash.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I see you are in Manchester. Yet another cyclist right turned on and the cops don't give a hoot. GMP are cyclist haters.

Are you a member of British Cycling as Leigh Day would like to know about this - I might let my solicitor know as they didn't investigate my accident and another cyclist on 24th and 25th November.

toontra

Veteran
Not sure which part of the country you're in but the Met weren't slightly interested when I was knocked off last year. My bike was written off, the passenger threatened me with violence because I asked for details and then they drove off. I naively thought they'd committed a couple of serious offences but the police didn't pursue it even though I gave them the reg number (car was insured). Didn't even bother to look for CCTV footage for 2 weeks when it was too late. My MP was totally useless as well - just got a stock letter.

Good luck with healing!

DRM

Guru
for what it's worth, get an insurance claim in and hit this idiot where it hurts, in the pocket, they didn't even have the decency to leave their details, scum like this need teaching a lesson.

Top Bottom