Fisher cycle Challenge - first Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RickB

professional procrastinator
First organised cycle event for me since getting into Road biking properly last year.

There were 3 distances to choose from - 30, 50 or 75 miles. I chose the 75 - signed in nice and early and got my timing chip attached to the bike.

All the 75 milers set off at 8:30am; approx 70-80 riders. First 10-15 miles were flattish but once the first inclines appeared the group started to lose a few riders. Not big hills by any stretch of the imagination but enough for the strong riders to put pressure on us lesser mortals.

By the time we'd covered 20 miles the average speed was around the 21 mph mark which, for someone who usually is out solo, is a big increase from the norm! There were three food stops - 13 miles, 25 miles and 50 miles. I intended stopping at the 25 mile point to keep myself well refueled as I had only previously completed 71 miles and still not sure how much I need to eat for these distances. Of course, the group hurtled past the food stop, so I get unsettled and decide to try and eat a flapjack on the move. Made a right hash of it - dropping half my food and then struggling to swallow the rest whilst trying to keep onto the back of the main bunch.

Slowly I see the group disappear into the distance to be seen no more and then began the solo slog for the next 10 miles. Thankfully another gentleman caught up with me around the halfway mark with very similar abilities, and we spent the next miles talking and pressing on together to the 50 mile food stop. Some riders were sitting there - and still sat on after we left, so I guess the main group had caused them to overreach to some degree. The two of us got refueled and hit the road once again for the final 25, sharing the load at the front and even managed to overtake 4 riders with a handful of miles to go.

So, I finished my first ever sportive event doing 5 more miles than I'd ever done at an average of 19mph moving time. Time at the finish was 4 hours 10mins which I was more than happy with, even if some others had been home for the guts of half an hour before me!! A great experience at a very well organised event. I shall return in 2016!

Good read Rick, i hope to get a few more sportives under my belt this year. What was the overall accent out of curiosity, regardless it's a very decent average pace over that distance.

BILL S

Guru
Well done Rick. The food stopping or lack of it definitely ring true with me on the Double Devil sportive I did recently. I remember trying to eat on the move and also making a right hash of it.
If you can, I'd highly recommend doing the Double Devil one next year if you're not too far away. You'll get some mind blowing hills to enjoy and almost another year of bkool to get fit for it.

OP
OP
RickB

RickB

Well done Rick. The food stopping or lack of it definitely ring true with me on the Double Devil sportive I did recently. I remember trying to eat on the move and also making a right hash of it.
If you can, I'd highly recommend doing the Double Devil one next year if you're not too far away. You'll get some mind blowing hills to enjoy and almost another year of bkool to get fit for it.
Thanks Bill. I'll have to get some 'proper' foods for eating on the go next time, rather than lumps of snapjack wedged in a sandwich bag!

Double Devil - sounds like a real challenge but I'm in N.Ireland so not exactly local! :smile: (Thankfully!!)

LBHIFI

Veteran
Well done, and welcome to the world of real-life racing :-)
I recommend energy gels instead. It doesn't take more than a few seconds to consume a energy gel, and you wont choke on it if the peloton suddenly decides to up the tempo.
If you want to go through the whole race without stopping, It should be possible if the route is not too hilly.

What works for me:

Fill up the "fuel tank" the day before, with a pasta dish (don't hold back).

On race day, make sure you are well hydrated (ever noticed how many riders suddenly feel the urge to explore the wildlife of the woods, just before a race :-). Then two bottles should suffice for a 75 mile race (maybe one with hydration tablet).
If you sweat a lot, you could just carry an extra small bottle in you pocket.

Have a good portion of oatmeal 2-3 hours before the race.

Bring 2-3 energy gels in your pocket, and take one each 1-1½ hour.

OP
OP
RickB

RickB

I recommend energy gels instead. It doesn't take more than a few seconds to consume a energy gel, and you wont choke on it if the peloton suddenly decides to up the tempo.
If you want to go through the whole race without stopping, It should be possible if the route is not too hilly.

What works for me:

On race day, make sure you are well hydrated (ever noticed how many riders suddenly feel the urge to explore the wildlife of the woods, just before a race :-). Then two bottles should suffice for a 75 mile race (maybe one with hydration tablet).

Great advice!

Many thanks for that - will certainly try to follow this pattern in future. Always learning! :reading:

kipster

Guru

What works for me:

Great advice about fuelling up the day (or 2) before. If you don't get on with gels (I'm not keen on them), then fig rolls are quite good and fit easy in Jersey pocket. Also don't forget the humble banana, I'm not seen on a ride without one.

Nice read Rick and well done, doing a couple of Sportives myself this year with some nice hillage.

Top Bottom