Fitted lights & bike reflectors... How 'legal' are we all really?

Which option best describes your lighting/reflector choice on your 'most used' bike?

• Fully BS approved lights front and/or rear. Pedal/Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Fully BS approved lights front and/or rear. Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Fully BS approved lights front and/or rear. No reflectors fitted.

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Non BS approved lights front and/or rear. Pedal/Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Non BS approved lights front and/or rear. Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Non BS approved lights front and/or rear. No reflectors fitted.

Votes: 35 34.7%
  • Reflectors fitted. No lights.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ninja... No lights. No reflectors fitted.

Votes: 9 8.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Fitting lights is conforming to the prevailing zeitgeist that a cyclist is in any way in control of his/her own destiny.

Plus, light pollution.

I can't remember what the requirements are anyway..?

D

Deleted member 1258

Full B S Lights, 2 front, 2 rear, pedal reflectors on rear of pedals, spoke reflectors on the rear wheel, I've got to get another pack of these to do the front

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ELBYFF0/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Dan B

Disengaged member
There used to be a maximum wattage on BS lights, that's good news if they've removed it. There also used to be requirements of the mounting brackets that hardly anything on the market complied with.

My lights are legal in the UK by virtue of the "equivalent or better standard from another EU country" loophole. The other country is of course Germany

I don't have pedal or wheel reflectors (SPDs) but I'm fairly sure the bike predates 1985 or at least that it would be an awful lot of effort to prove otherwise

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I briefly had pedal reflectors last year (they are just visible in the avatar pic).
I think I'm right in saying I don't need them because my bike is of 1983 vintage.

And i'd enjoy pointing that out (smart alec style) to a copper some day, if only the rest of the bike met regulations; the lights don't have any kitemarks, and the traditional rear reflector pinged off during an argument with a fence.

subaqua

What’s the point
With my current setup my bike is fully compliant with the lighting regs. In fact they are to STVZO (Straßenverkehrs-Zulassungs-Ordnung) standard so exceed the British requirements. No surprise really as it's a new bike bought from a German outlet online.

I have additional non-compliant lights.

GC

this is my set up too. german lights run from the dynamo hub. even have wheel reflectors too

OP
OP
flake99please

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I think that when the poll has had a good time to run (and a few more results in), it would be perhaps useful to mention the percentages.

sidevalve

Über Member
As a point the OP asks about legality - lights of any sort are not required in daylight [as with cars and m/cycles] only - yep - poor visibility and at night.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Blinks Frog lights front and rear, cat eye front and rear and a couple of other front lights, probably not B S but the are nice and bright.
No reflectors on the bike but have reflecty bits on shoes, longs, jacket, gloves etc

I have those clip on individual spoke reflectors but can't find them at the mo

I don't know if my lights comply and am not motivated to find out. Two fronts, one on flash. One rear which has a main constant lensed led plus two flashing less within it. I have one of those multi led flashing pattern making thingies in the backwheel when the nights draw in. And a ton of reflective tape on rims and cranks. Also several hand fulls of those 3M clip on spoke reflectors.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
As a point the OP asks about legality - lights of any sort are not required in daylight [as with cars and m/cycles] only - yep - poor visibility and at night.

Not required in poor visibility, only required between sunset and sunrise (although it would be wise).

GC

Tin Pot

Guru
Two clauses (sections) in detail (taken from the 1992 version of BS 6102-1)
Clause 15. Lighting and reflectors:

• 15.2.1 Rear reflectors - all bikes must have red rear reflectors
  • 15.2.2 Side reflectors - the reflectors on wheel spokes should be two sided and be fitted within 10cm of the outside rim. They must be either yellow or white
  • 15.2.3 Front reflectors - bicycles with front lights do not need front reflectors. Those without front lights must have a white/clear reflector
  • 15.2.4 Pedal reflectors - bikes must have yellow reflectors on the pedals.

So bikes must look really uncool to be compliant.

Top Bottom