Fitting BB7 to a 2014 CAADX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

I am trying to fit Avid BB7 road brakes to my 2014 CAADX to replace the stock Promax Render (BB5 clone?). The kit I got has the IS mount so I have tried reusing stock post mount bits without success.

When I fit the brakes the wheels spin freely when fitted quite loosely but begin to bind when tightened fully. I have tried all the usual setup options online and even cut up an old business card to ask as a spacer whilst tightening up without success. Thus leads me to believe I need different mounting hardware.

But what?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I am trying to fit Avid BB7 road brakes to my 2014 CAADX to replace the stock Promax Render (BB5 clone?). The kit I got has the IS mount so I have tried reusing stock post mount bits without success.

When I fit the brakes the wheels spin freely when fitted quite loosely but begin to bind when tightened fully. I have tried all the usual setup options online and even cut up an old business card to ask as a spacer whilst tightening up without success. Thus leads me to believe I need different mounting hardware.

But what?

If I understand you correctly you have post mount forks and frame? If so you first need to establish what size mounts they are. Measure the distance between the centre of the dropout (or hub axle) to the face of the of the nearest post. They should be exactly 47.5mm, 55.9mm, 64mm or 73.9mm (the last two unlikely for your bike). These figures correspond to 140/160/180/203 Post respectively.

To check you have the correct hardware look up the forks/frame vs rotor size chart here for front and back, and establish whether you have the correct dimension/spacer specified in the CPS chart.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Thank you. Those measurements are very useful. I suspect both front and rear will be 47.5mm with the front having a spacer to take it from 140mm to160mm disc. Will double check and get some relevant sizes spacers ordered for the front.

Top Bottom