Five a day turned into a smoothie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm not a fan of fruit and veg. I'll eat the odd banana before a ride or a portion of peas or corn with a meal but that's about it. However i do get my five fruit and veg a day as i blend them down to a smoothie. I usually blend about 5 of those frozen spinach balls,a portion of peas or corn,a tomato a red or green pepper and then a couple of cloves of garlic. To add a bit of sweetness i'll add a banana and maybe an apple. Yes i know it's an odd combination but this way i can get some fruit and veg down me in a matter of a few seconds rather than having to chew the stuff for what seems like ages!
Do any of you make your own smoothies and if so what do you put in them?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Warm it up and call it soup, then you don't have to add the sweet stuff. :smile:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm sure the smoothies are lovely, but.... not liking friut and veg???? Does not compute, does not compute, does not compute....

I once knew a guy (neighbour, years ago, lost touch when we moved away)... we were sitting in my kitchen, I'd picked a load of cherries off the tree... offered him some... "I don't eat fruit' was the reply... no medical reason, just didn't like it. I find that wierd :wacko:

ScotiaLass

Guru
My ex drinks smoothies all the time and puts all sorts of fruit and veg in them, he even makes one with oats, bit like a porridge blend!
He has lost a load of weight doing this (plus his new job is physical) and I've coaxed him onto a bike!
He now uses it to commute to work :smile:

I'm the opposite...I like most fruit and veg but in a blend? Drink it? UGH! :laugh:

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
not liking friut and veg????
I'm a bit of a veg head... and fruit. Used to drink a lot of smoothies until i saw the affect on my blood suagr. I'll have a green smoothie now and again, cucumber, kale, spinach, banana and grapes.

For a fruit smoothie it's berries, ice and honey. Or if we're really being naughty, peanut butter, banana, good handful of ice and home made yoghurt:whistle:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Drinking a smoothie is not the same thing as eating the fruit and veg though. If you make the food easily digestible and chuck away the fibre, then it is going to give you much more of a sugar rush.

I don't use one of those juice extractor thingies where you throw away the pith or whatever they call it. I don't peel carrots either when they go in. Stuff gets washed then heated up in a jug with water then blended down. As far as i know the fibre stays in the mix even if it is blended down to a smooth consistency.:smile:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3339212, member: 259"]erm...isn't that what they used to call "soup"? :whistle:[/QUOTE]

Yes but it isn't a nice soup!xx( Soup containing spinach and bananas..i wonder what you could call it,apart from the obvious?!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't use one of those juice extractor thingies where you throw away the pith or whatever they call it. I don't peel carrots either when they go in. Stuff gets washed then heated up in a jug with water then blended down. As far as i know the fibre stays in the mix even if it is blended down to a smooth consistency.:smile:
Well, that sounds better. I don't know if the ease of digestion is a factor too, but having fibre in the smoothies must be good?

I found the problem was that I was getting through so much fruit and veg that I was putting on weight - I must have been on 15-20 'portions' a day in my smoothies! I am back to eating the stuff now, rather than guzzling it.

U

User169

If it never had a face, don't eat it ^_^

green-pepper-facesjpg.jpg

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Only one fluid counts towards the five a day, no matter how many you have or what is in them. Apparently I would guess it is to do with fibre.

Top Bottom