Five a day turned into a smoothie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I've been using a juicer for several months now as I detest most vegetables, I have no problem with fruit though. I have to add fruit to the mix though as vegetables juice is minging alone (just IMVHO). My juicer was not a hugely expensive one and is not great with leafy vegetables. Carrots and Broccoli are ones that I use often as they are good to juice. I agree with what ColinJ has mentioned though about missing out on fibre. At least I'm getting some form of veg though (apart from peas and green beans which I don't mind) for the first time in 44 years, so it has to be better than nothing :whistle:

ryan_w

I've been a competitive weight lifter and general healthy bloke for the past 10 years.

Every morning without fail, my smoothie consists of:

2 scoops of strawberry protein powder
Handful of fresh spinach
Handful of frozen strawberries (chopped in half)
Half a handful of frozen blueberries
Handful of frozen banana (cut into 15mm thick slices)
2 tablespoons of greek yoghurt
1 green tea bag (not the bag)
Little squirt of honey
Around 20 goji berries
Mixed with semi-skimmed milk

That includes all the goodness you need in one simple shake.

I've used numerous blenders over the years, but my NutriBullet is by FAR the best blender I've ever used!

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Doesn't making smoothies start getting expensive, even if you forget the cost of a decent blender.

When look at what some people add to get one glass it can get out of control

ryan_w

Buying fresh fruit every other day is bloody expensive, hence why I freeze mine (and makes a better smoothie).

I probably spend less than £10 a week on my smoothies (excluding protein).

gbb

Legendary Member
Having worked in fruit packing factories for years, I ate it all the time, especially satsumas and pears...love em.
We brought a juicer some years ago, I could bring as much fruit home as I reasonably could, so smoothies made of oranges, sats. clem, whatever, some apples, pears, grapefruit...whatever was available went in. Pears tend to leave a scum on the top, but don't hurt the taste...its lovely. I used to spoon out the fibre and stir it in the drink for good measure.

I don't officially get much fruit anymore, I can't eat them in the factory, strictly against the rules.....but I may consider getting another juicer. Very tasty, very quick, only trouble is cleaning it out every time you use it.

My favorite during the summer was handful of frozen berries and apple juice. Comes out nicely chilled. Chilled enough to work very nicely with vodka.
While I'm working in Brasil though I'm an absolute pig with papaya and mango - to eat as is, not in smoothies though

@ryan_w why do you chop up the fruit when you're going to blend it anyway?

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've been a competitive weight lifter and general healthy bloke for the past 10 years.

Every morning without fail, my smoothie consists of:

2 scoops of strawberry protein powder
Handful of fresh spinach
Handful of frozen strawberries (chopped in half)
Half a handful of frozen blueberries
Handful of frozen banana (cut into 15mm thick slices)
2 tablespoons of greek yoghurt
1 green tea bag (not the bag)
Little squirt of honey
Around 20 goji berries
Mixed with semi-skimmed milk

That includes all the goodness you need in one simple shake.

I've used numerous blenders over the years, but my NutriBullet is by FAR the best blender I've ever used!
That sounds a lot nicer than some of the "soup" recipes on this thread. I've never had a smoothie maker, and getting enough fruit and veg has always been a bit of an effort for me. I feel a visit to John Lewis and then the frozen fruit department of Tescos coming on :thumbsup:.

Last edited:

Col5632

Guru
I'm the same i rarely eat enough fruit and veg, my girlfriend has a smoothie maker so might start buying frozen fruit and making some :thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm sure the smoothies are lovely, but.... not liking friut and veg???? Does not compute, does not compute, does not compute....

I once knew a guy (neighbour, years ago, lost touch when we moved away)... we were sitting in my kitchen, I'd picked a load of cherries off the tree... offered him some... "I don't eat fruit' was the reply... no medical reason, just didn't like it. I find that wierd :wacko:

I don't love fruit. I don't actually dislike most of it, but I generally prefer it in the form of jam or cooked in a pudding, I'll eat it fresh, but I don't think "oh yum, fruit" like other people do.

I'll usually choose a savory snack, or chocolate, over fruit.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm the same i rarely eat enough fruit and veg, my girlfriend has a smoothie maker so might start buying frozen fruit and making some :thumbsup:
Not being blessed with huge amounts of patience, I had to go out and buy one this morning ^_^. Got a Kenwood SB056,then came home via Tesco to get some ingredients. As well as various frozen fruits, they sell a ready mixed bag with banana, pineapple, and strawberry. Just had my first effort and I am well impressed! Now to experiment a bit.....

Col5632

Guru
Not being blessed with huge amounts of patience, I had to go out and buy one this morning ^_^. Got a Kenwood SB056,then came home via Tesco to get some ingredients. As well as various frozen fruits, they sell a ready mixed bag with banana, pineapple, and strawberry. Just had my first effort and I am well impressed! Now to experiment a bit.....

Mixed bag sounds nice :smile:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Smoothie mk2..... Fresh banana, frozen raspberries, juice of half a fresh lime, honey, plain yoghurt, milk. Not bad but needs some work. Too frothy and the honey stuck to the bottom of the jug (which turns upside down on the blender, so didn't mix in well).
Time to buy shares in Andrex!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Smoothie mk2..... Fresh banana, frozen raspberries, juice of half a fresh lime, honey, plain yoghurt, milk. Not bad but needs some work. Too frothy and the honey stuck to the bottom of the jug (which turns upside down on the blender, so didn't mix in well).
Time to buy shares in Andrex!
There are no vegetables in this smoothie?
Hardly any fruit either, a banana and some frozen raspberries? :giggle:

Top Bottom