Five a day turned into a smoothie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I might do. I've got some lovely frozen berries...
You should wear thicker pants in this weather.

Levo-Lon

Guru
So what's the benifits of smoothie drinks compared to a good mix of say salad diced carrots 3 beans mix etc?
Some of these smoothies look very appetizing and some look ..like they will pop straight out again.
just asking as I do like the fruit and veg and the tropicana drink from sainsburys etc.
I have to avoid "well i try as best as you can" all the artificial sweetners and the nasty add ins we get in a lot of drinks foods etc.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Quick and easy to make. Easy to consume as you can stick them in a travel mug and take them with you (if you haven't had to waste time taking the dog for a walk because your other half is too lazy to get his arse out of bed and you have a train to catch...)

liquid lunch so to speak..
Do they improve digestive absorbtion or are they just "get what you need in a drink" save time thing.
only ask as I have Ulcerative Colitis and this seems to make vitamin absobtion less effective.

anything that might help with fatigue from this condition is worth a try..

brand

I'm not a fan of fruit and veg. I'll eat the odd banana before a ride or a portion of peas or corn with a meal but that's about it. However i do get my five fruit and veg a day as i blend them down to a smoothie. I usually blend about 5 of those frozen spinach balls,a portion of peas or corn,a tomato a red or green pepper and then a couple of cloves of garlic. To add a bit of sweetness i'll add a banana and maybe an apple. Yes i know it's an odd combination but this way i can get some fruit and veg down me in a matter of a few seconds rather than having to chew the stuff for what seems like ages!
Do any of you make your own smoothies and if so what do you put in them?
Not a fan of fruit, dried fruit yes....unless you count cider. Have used pulp from cider as a base for an attempt at Smoothie but alas not great. Eat tons of veg on its own albeit out of the freezer and zapped in the microwave. Loads of salt decent bit of butter. Had about 400 grms of mixed veg for breakfast. Not an unusual breakfast for me. Never thought of making it into a smoothie but as someone has said that's more or less an unheated soup. Could try it heated or is that what the OP does?

Stephenite

Membå
Can an old style blender be used to make them - or do you need the fancy juicer machines ?
If you have one try it out. I have a 15 year old Krups XL6 blender which works fine.

But, isn't a juicer something that will remove the juice and leave behind a pulpy mash?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not a fan of fruit, dried fruit yes....unless you count cider. Have used pulp from cider as a base for an attempt at Smoothie but alas not great. Eat tons of veg on its own albeit out of the freezer and zapped in the microwave. Loads of salt decent bit of butter. Had about 400 grms of mixed veg for breakfast. Not an unusual breakfast for me. Never thought of making it into a smoothie but as someone has said that's more or less an unheated soup. Could try it heated or is that what the OP does?

I have it warm if it's just been made, otherwise i'll have it cold from the fridge. Though sometimes i stick it in the microwave for a minute to take the teeth tingling effect off it. I have to emphasise that i'm not a fan of most fruit or veg so i have smoothies for health reasons not to enjoy them. The quicker i can get it down the better!xx( :laugh:

Last edited:

brand

I have it warm if it's just been made, otherwise i'll have it cold from the fridge. Though sometimes i stick it in the microwave for a minute to take the teeth tingling effect off it. I have to emphasise that i'm not a fan of most fruit or veg so i have smoothies for health reasons not to enjoy them. The quicker i can get it down the better!xx( :laugh:

Run out of Brussels sprouts, going to do a big frozen veg shop today. At least 3 kilos of Brussels.... Uhmm....are you vomiting?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The most unappetising looking smoothie to date; mango, apple, pear and blueberry, tastes OK but could do with a bit more pizzazz, the brown colour is a marketing disaster, the kids are giving this one a wide berth.

image.jpg

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The smoothies makers such as the NutriBullet do seem to make smoother, less 'bitty' smoothies than your average blender.

Yes - best bit of kit we have bought in a long time.

We use it every day - it replaced the rubbish juicer that hardly ever got used as it was such a faff.

Just had banana/pomegranate/raspberries/pear/cucumber/ginger/assorted seeds - blooming lovely.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We have had a Nutribullet for a while now.

Breakfast- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, mint, mixed seeds, yoghurt, honey and water. Really nice!

After a long ride- milk, strawberries and protein powder- The milk goes so frothy!

Top Bottom