• Thursday 4th August

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Friday 5th August

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Saturday 6th August

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Edit 11th August...
And we're going again folks.
Myself and @lazybloke will be meeting on Saturday 13th August at Ockley Station at 10am for the same ride to Leith Hill, White Downs Lane and Box Hill, then Betchworth, Newdigate, Capel and back to Ockley.
Having ridden it last Saturday with @Bollo , @Tim Hall and @Shadow , I also did it on Sunday with a pal, and we encountered the aftermath of a nasty off, a woman who came off on the bend coming down White Downs Lane. I think she'd done a collarbone, but she was being helped, and ambulance was on the way.
Be careful out there folks!
So, all welcome.
Fnaar :smile:

Late call for those who've shown interest before:
@ianrauk
@rb58
@mark st1

----------------------------------------
UPDATE (posted 3rd August)
Meeting Saturday 6th September, Ockley Station at 10am.
Participants so far...th
Fnaar
@Bollo
@Tim Hall
@Shadow

Others more than welcome.
Route roughly 31 miles, taking in Leith Hill, White Downs Lane, Ranmore Common, down to Westhumble, Box Hill, then Betchworth, Newdigate, Capel, and back to Ockley Station.
I've not met any of you, and don't know your ages and abilities, so I suggest making it primarily a social ride, regrouping at junctions and hill tops as necessary. Nobody to be left behind. Several cafe possibilities have been suggested, and some have greater local knowledge than me (I'm only down here visiting a couple of times a year) so we can decide on the day.
Looking forward to it. I'll be wearing my Cycle Chat jersey.
I have /will PM my details to all comers in case of delay or difficulties.

I have no idea about parking at Ockley, I'm afraid.
See you there...

----------------------------------------

OK gang, some possibilities for next week
Thursday 4th August
Friday 5th
Saturday 6th
Sunday 7th

Any interest?
See poll at top.
Rough plan with @lazybloke to ALSO do Sat 13th.

If so, best meeting place Ockley Station
10am set off.
Anyone welcome, I don't mind if it's one of you, two of you, a hundred of you.
I'll be riding anyway. See map below for an idea of route (shows a different start place, this was where I started from when I did it before, but Ockley station is nearby)

fullsizerender-4-jpg.130259.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Probably, tomorrow afternoon. Anyone fancy a meet up? Ockley station, 2pm ish, then taking in Leith Hill, White Down hill, Ranmore Common and Box Hill.

Driving doon from the Toon tonight for a family event, bringing me bike :okay:

EDIT
See post below for change of plan to Sunday morning

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Gah.. have planned a ride there Sunday morning.

Probably, tomorrow afternoon. Anyone fancy a meet up? Ockley station, 2pm ish, then taking in Leith Hill, White Down hill, Ranmore Common and Box Hill.

Driving doon from the Toon tonight for a family event, bringing me bike :okay:
You're planning a ride up Ranmore common, given the weather forecast tomorrow :laugh:. Look out for the 'levitating' drain covers:okay:.

Tim Hall

Cafes better than the NT one on top of Boxhill:
The converted Citroen, Cafe a la Creme, in the car park at Ranmore Common. I'm not sure if she's there on a Saturday though.
Pilgrim Cycles at Boxhill and Westhumble station, in the old station building.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Oooooh, I'd love a meet up, even if it means crossing the border into Mordor, but I've thoroughly punished my legs this week already. Good luck with the weather and post some pics.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Change of plan... Have to make preparations for the family do, so actually going tomorrow morning instead, but EARLY. If anyone interested, post here. Aiming to be at Ockley about 9am.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hi folks... kinda good that nobody took up my suggestion of a meet up, as in the end (because of preparations for the family 'do' etc) I didn't go till yesterday morning in the end (Bank Hol Monday). Now back in Northumberland, drove up yesterday late evening.
Here's some snaps anyway.
Started in Capel (where the rellies live), then did Leith Hill, White Downs Lane, Ranmore Common, Box Hill, then back to starting point. I've done this route/these hills several times before. I'm down there 2 or 3 times a year, and try to bring bike/do this circuit when possible.
Quite a few cyclists around yesterday, but when I was riding, there weren't as many as the usual Sunday crowds. Didn't see @Tim Hall 's Citroen cafe thing, and a stop in Westhumble felt too soon into the ride, so had a coffee/flapjack at Box Hill, and chatted to a couple of fellas I'd been chinwagging with on the way up Box Hill. Was a bit windy in places, but a lovely ride nonetheless.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg
The caff at Box Hill

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

The obligatory 'bike at the top of Box Hill' pic

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

The route

Will post again next time I'm down there, and hopefully arrange a ride/meet up with anyone who's up for it.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I will be down again soon, probably first 2 weeks of August... if anyone fancies a ride, pm me or put something on this thread :okay:

Top Bottom