FNRttK 2014 - Saturday May 3rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saturday (not Friday) 3rd May is the night for the 2nd edition of the Flemish Night Ride to the Kust. Having it on the Saturday night allows UK'ers to get there without taking a day off, and allows us to get back in good time for work on Tuesday since we have a May Bank Holiday Monday (although that does not apply to those who lead a mmmartin lifestyle).

What do we have?
  • Scenic route Brussel to Gent (thank you BalkanExpress)
  • Middle of the night snacks offered by family Vandevelde (three Vandeveldes, three families, three generations - we might get spoilt!). Location: 8km east of Gent
  • Canal side ride through Brugge to Oostende
  • And as a finale we'll go the 'De Vismijn' side of Oostende, industrial non-touristy. Could go either way.
  • We can eat and drink (I can't call it breakfast) 'Bij Sjaaki En Nicky' at the fish market kanteen (Vismijn Kantine). Opens at 9AM.
  • Unless! We all vote for taking the free ferry (Veerdienst Oostende) across to town and go back to last year's Caruso patisserie. Opens at 7AM.
The detail?
  • Meet at (or outside of) La Chaloupe D'Or (there is charge for using the facilities, bring some euro change - or ask me)
  • We leave at 12 midnight, on the dot
  • Route is more scenic than last year and therefore longer: 138km
  • Still as flat as a pancake, if not flatter, there is at least one bridge less :smile:
  • mmmmartin is the best person to ask about getting back to UK logistics (aren't you Martin?)
  • Maximum 15 people. It's the law
  • GPX files will be sent by PM nearer the time
The roll call so far:
  1. mmmmartin
  2. Olaf
  3. BalkanExpress
  4. Kris Flandrienne
  5. Swarm_Catcher (I have to count myself in)
  6. StuartG
  7. StuAff
  8. AKA Bob
Any questions?

Screen%2520Shot%25202014-02-23%2520at%252021.10.58.png

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Interested.

Tim Hall

Consults diary.

What's the thing about 15 people? Will we be an illegal gathering? Do you still have a Belgian version of The Combination Laws?

OP
OP
swarm_catcher
Consults diary.

What's the thing about 15 people? Will we be an illegal gathering? Do you still have a Belgian version of The Combination Laws?

LOL!

In fact, I've got that wrong. It should be 14 people. From 15 onwards you'd be seen as a 'group'. For groups, it's advised, but not compulsory, to use accompanying car(s) and have two 'captains'. I'm not ready to handle big groups anyway. But I want to know and I'll check with the Belgian audaxers and also my sister's cycling club how they interpret the law. The difference might be that the FNRttC style is to group up, which at least the audaxers don't do. And how much distance would be required for two sets of 14 riders, not to be group, I wonder?

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
In terms of logistics: I'll take Brompton and get the Eurostar into Brussels on Saturday night (will take the on leaving London at 19:04, arriving at Brussels 22:08) I'm not 100% sure about the return trip though. My first choice is to ride to Dunkirk in Sunday and get on the ferry to Dover, which - according to Google Map's pedestrian routing - is about 65km / 41 miles along the coast from Oostend. If the weather is hostile (wind!), I understand one could also jump on the World's longest tram line. Or are there any better ideas, @mmmmartin ?

Last edited:

StuartG

slower but further
SC - I am planning to Brompton too. I should be able to get that on the Mega bus to Brussels arriving 16:30. Is it OK to book?

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Deutsche Bahn is still offering advance tickets for the 19:04 Eurostar connection to Brussels for 69 euros = 57 pounds. You would have to book a "London special" from London to Cologne, which includes a change in Brussels. I've booked such a ticket, and obviously will only do the first leg of the journey to Brussels. Print-at-home tickets can be booked here:

http://ps.bahn.de/preissuche/preiss..._KIN0014_europaspezial-allgemein-buchung_LZ03

OP
OP
swarm_catcher
Hi Stuart - what do you mean 'is it OK?'. Do you need any confirmation from me?
SC - I am planning to Brompton too. I should be able to get that on the Mega bus to Brussels arriving 16:30. Is it OK to book?
Go for it, you're in!

StuartG

slower but further
Deutsche Bahn is still offering advance tickets for the 19:04 Eurostar connection to Brussels for 69 euros = 57 pounds. You would have to book a "London special" from London to Cologne, which includes a change in Brussels. I've booked such a ticket, and obviously will only do the first leg of the journey to Brussels. Print-at-home tickets can be booked here:

http://ps.bahn.de/preissuche/preissuche/psc_start.post?&search=0&date=+3&lang=en&country=GBR&tariffClass=2&auslmod=1&locid=&land=826&pos=start&Z=&search=1&dbkanal_007=L04_S02_D002_KIN0014_europaspezial-allgemein-buchung_LZ03
Dear Customer,
No more seats are available on this train, for which a reservation is compulsory.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

http://ps.bahn.de/preissuche/preissuche/psc_start.post?&search=0&date=+3&lang=en&country=GBR&tariffClass=2&auslmod=1&locid=&land=826&pos=start&Z=&search=1&dbkanal_007=L04_S02_D002_KIN0014_europaspezial-allgemein-buchung_LZ03
Nice price, but one has to remember Eurostar's bike restrictions (and fees for carrying them). Bromptonians obviously have the advantage here. I'm thinking trains to Dover- not via London is barely slower and much cheaper for me, DFDS ferry (£20 each way including a bike, they seem to have sorted out their pricing anomalies out), bike to De Panne, trains to Brussels. Return probably the tram back to De Panne, ride over the border, back from Dunkirk.

StuartG

slower but further
Dear Customer,
No more seats are available on this train, for which a reservation is compulsory.
@redfalo - the strange thing is this only appears after you have reserved the available train at the special fare and go into payment - it attempts to process payment and then comes up with this message which is mighty strange. I've tried it adding in a seat reservation - no difference. Am I doing something wrong?

StuartG

slower but further
Gave up on DB. Bus booked both ways outward to Brussels returning from Gent so need to catch a train ex Ostend about 10:30.

Be aware if you try and do this too - Megabus do not accept bikes. But they have accepted my Brompton in the past hidden in an IKEA Dimpy bag. YMMV.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
train to Dover...... DFDS ferry...... bike to De Panne, train to Brussels.
Return probably the tram back to De Panne, ride over the border, back from Dunkirk.
^^^^ This.
Although I might stop in a Formule 1 on the Sunday night in Dunkirk, not decided yet.

For any ditherers, I thought this was the best FNRttC last year, a really delightful mini-adventure in great company. And as flat as a flat thing that is feeling in a particularly flat mood. Good grub, too.
There was a thread after last year, Might be worth a read if you can find it.

Top Bottom