FNRttK 2014 - Saturday May 3rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks Els,

Getting out of Brussels we will take the same route as last year with two variations.

First we will avoid the main road after the Basilique and instead run parallel.
Second, we will loop back under the motorway(s) to pick up the scenic route for the night.

Recce yesterday morning show us to be tram track free except for one bridge crossing the canal which we did last year without difficulty.

If there is a mass arrival on the Eurostar, I will try this year and come down and get you (real life commitments permitting).

As for maximum size, my understanding is that over 15 you are a "Group". "Groups" do not have to ride on cycle paths, hurrah, but do need road captains front and back marked with an Orange light. I have a couple of Lidl flashing armbands which should suffice. Groups over 50 need a support car which drives at I can not remember which end of the line, but, we are not likely to reach 50. Beyond this as Els says we need to check what other implications being a "Group" might have.

The Flemish countrside is not well stocked with 24 hour supermarkets or filling stations, so comfort breaks will most likely be ad hoc and al fresco.

If we reach Bruges/Brugge in good time and good shape we may have time for a quick tour of the main sights.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
"Groups" do not have to ride on cycle paths, hurrah, but do need road captains front and back marked with an Orange light.
Is this not just a matter of the rider at the back having a rear light? Which we all would have, surely.
I shall be sporting the normal phenomenal quantities of rear lights and high-viz with reflective tapes and am happy to be the man at the back if that makes life easier with the police.
the success of the ride last year may mean we have more than 20 riders so we could be two groups.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
@redfalo - the strange thing is this only appears after you have reserved the available train at the special fare and go into payment - it attempts to process payment and then comes up with this message which is mighty strange. I've tried it adding in a seat reservation - no difference. Am I doing something wrong?

that's really weird, sorry to hear this. the website usually only shows those connections and prices that are still available.

@mmmmartin: What do you reckon, how long does it take to cycle from Oostend to Dunkirk ferry port? I guess it should be doable in 6 hours max, which mean one should be able to catch 6pm ferry to Dover (maybe even the 4pm one?). Is this realistic?

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Last time we booked on the 4pm ferry and had about an hour or so to spare. The ride along the coast in the world's longest tram ride is surprisingly quick - although I think I was asleep for some of it. Then we had to ride from De Panne to Dunkirk into a ferocious headwind - Bromptonistas could get the bus, obvs, but he wouldn't let us on and then we ruined a perfectly nice taxi trying to get the bikes in the back (Bromptonistas ..... blah) , so had to ride to the ferry. This bit was brutal - headwind, no sleep, a damaged Suzie, and a howling bottom bracket on my bike. But we dozed nicely on the ferry, which was almost empty. We might not all fit on the same tram. It took three bikes OK. You pay a few euros for the bike. My recollection is that it wasn't much faster than a fit cyclist could do, but the headwind was strong and we had been up all night........

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Last time we booked on the 4pm ferry and had about an hour or so to spare. The ride along the coast in the world's longest tram ride is surprisingly quick - although I think I was asleep for some of it. Then we had to ride from De Panne to Dunkirk into a ferocious headwind - Bromptonistas could get the bus, obvs, but he wouldn't let us on and then we ruined a perfectly nice taxi trying to get the bikes in the back (Bromptonistas ..... blah) , so had to ride to the ferry. This bit was brutal - headwind, no sleep, a damaged Suzie, and a howling bottom bracket on my bike. But we dozed nicely on the ferry, which was almost empty. We might not all fit on the same tram. It took three bikes OK. You pay a few euros for the bike. My recollection is that it wasn't much faster than a fit cyclist could do, but the headwind was strong and we had been up all night........

See, Bromptonistas rulez.

According to the Tram's website the journey from Oostend to De Panne takes about 50 min. tram every 15 min on a Sunday morning. It'a 20 miles of cycling. So the tram looks like a real alternative, in case its too windy. This makes the 4pm ferry look even more realistically.

Hello @swarm_catcher - please an I put my name down (need to double check dates and travel ets) but this seemed enormous fun when I read about it last year(apart from Agwnt Hs stoic 70+ miles with n injury)

Mice

OP
OP
swarm_catcher
Hello @swarm_catcher - please an I put my name down (need to double check dates and travel ets) but this seemed enormous fun when I read about it last year(apart from Agwnt Hs stoic 70+ miles with n injury)

Mice
You're on the list. I'm like a newsreader at the moment. Appearing all calm and matter of fact. Underneath my legs are pedalling in anticipation of a, let's not jinx it, a fine night ride to the coast.

StuartG

slower but further
Borrow a bike, rent a bike...???
Just to add for the impoverished I'm paying £12 to get to Brussels and £5 back from Gent (a short rail trip back from Ostend). That £17.50 return including booking fee and is London to London including Channel Tunnel. Which leaves a lotta cash free for rental ... if you don't want to try and sneak a Brommie through (bikes are officially banned which will add a little frisson to departure).

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Bikes are ok on Megabus - usually. One German paid two quid for a trip from Cologne to London, and wrapped his bike up and got it on, then used it on an audax near Midhurst. He did say that the bus driver was a keen cyclist, so YMMV. Removing the wheels and wrapping it up in something might work for a "proper" bike but then again it might not..... Which is why I'll have a mini-adventure via Dover, Dunkirk, De Panne, etc etc.
Bromptons could easily be disguised by wrapping in bin liners and parcel tape.
EDIT (And re-edited for accuracy)
Annoying fact: Megabus (owned by Stagecoach of the UK) specifically bans bikes, yet Alsa, the Spanish bus company (owned by National Express of the UK) specifically allows bikes at a fee of €10 provided they are wrapped in plastic, to protect other luggage from oily chains, I guess.
I bet they run the exactly the same buses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom