FNRttC FNRttK Brussels-Ostend RIDE CLOSED. Full up!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Just a heads-up as I know last year some riders were in January fretting about getting Eurostar train tickets.

Saturday (not Friday) 30th April is the night for the 4th edition of the Flemish Night Ride to the Kust. Having it on the Saturday night allows UK'ers to get there without taking a day off, and allows us to get back in good time for work on Tuesday since we have a May Bank Holiday Monday (although that does not apply to those who lead a @mmmmartin lifestyle).

What do we have?
  • A flat as a pancake route from Brussels to Ostend.
  • A middle of the night snack for an entirely reasonable fee provided by the most generous family Vandevelde.
  • An early morning breather in Bruges.
  • Breakfast in Ostend at patisserie Caruso.
The detail?
  • Meet at La Chaloupe D'Or on the Grand Place (there is charge for using the facilities, bring some euro change - or ask me).
  • This time we’ll leave at 11pm. This gives us extra time at the Vandevelde’s and extra time for a decent breather in Bruges.
  • The scenic route is 145km, more than the average night ride. A small test of stamina if you haven’t done more than 120km before.
  • The route is the same as last year except the approach into Ostend (hence the extra 4km).
  • As flat as a pancake except for the odd bridge and the Koekelberg at a mere 70m.
  • @mmmmartin is the best person to ask about travel from/to UK logistics
  • Maximum 14 people (it's the law - if it fills there will be an entirely unreasonable and undemocratic weeding out).
This will be run by @swarm_catcher as usual.

The usual rules apply: CTC membership (for the third-party insurance) and membership of The Fridays which is massive two quid and be acquired at the click of a button here:
http://fridaynightridetothecoast.blogspot.co.uk/p/like-our-rides-join-fridays.html

for the thread about last year's delight:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fnrttk-2015-saturday-may-2nd.173555/#post-3509105

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Oh - I forgot to say - I'm in.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
So am I. Booked on the 1600ish Eurostar (with bike reservation), plus hotels in Poperinge (Sun) & Dieppe (Mon) for onward trip to Le Havre & ferry home.

StuAff

Forgot to add- Eurostar tickets go on sale 180 days in advance. If you're interested & planning to travel that way don't procrastinate... full-size assembled bike spaces are limited.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Not sure whether to
  • hire a Brompton from a station in Kent and do the Eurostar thing there and back, or to
  • stick with original plan and go with expedition bike via Dunkirk and put up tent in Ostend then train into Brussels to do the ride and stay with tent in Ostend afterwards with a leisurely pootle back to Dunkirk over a day or so, or
  • go on train to Dover, then Dunkirk on ferry, ride to De Panne and train to Brussels and then after the ride and the copious breakfast in Ostend, take the kusttram from Ostend to De Panne and ride back to the ferry at Dunkirk, or (as we did once)
  • go in car under the channel and drive to De Panne and park up, and use the kusttram to get from Ostend to De Panne and car home, sharing with others.
I guess it depends on what is chosen by other Friday-peeps.

StuAff

@mmmmartin you would be very welcome to join me for another blast across Europe if your nerves can cope.....

A tentative yes from me
And you both- plus anyone else of course- are welcome to join me. I have not as yet booked a ferry & got flexible options on hotels, plus the week off, so I have leeway on timings. But, as it stands, plan is:
Sunday morning: Poperinge is about 36 miles (40 or so on the more inland route). There is a train, but it's one an hour, changing at Kortrijk, and takes two hours. So riding seems easier. Many hotels and B&Bs in the town and outskirts.
Monday: On to Dieppe. This is about 120 miles, much of it, if I'm not mistaken, on the reverse of the route the Low Countries tour took via Hesdin. Ferry services to Newhaven are not well timed for a return to Pompey (5.30am- so overnight stay needed plus very early start, and 6pm- into port at 9 or so and I'd still have three or four hours travel to get home). That option therefore ruled itself out for me at least. Looked into various alternative stops, opted for a longer Monday to make the Tuesday ride a bit shorter and easier, particularly with a ferry to (hopefully) catch. There do not appear to be any train alternatives, the SNCF M Beeching seems to have taken a large axe to the network in the region.
Tuesday: 61 or so miles to Le Havre in time for the ferry back to Portsmouth (5.15pm departure so need to be there at 4.30 at the absolute latest).

If anyone wants to come along but thinks the schedule's a bit too hectic, happy to adjust it- returning from Ouistreham is also an option, two sailings on the Wednesday & three on Tuesday & Thursday.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Ever since I first read of it, this ride has been on my must-do list. Unfortunately the week before the early May bank holiday is now earmarked for my only must-attend work do of the year, which travels around Europe and includes the weekend. If it happens to travel to somewhere near Brussels next year - I'll find out in a couple of weeks - I'm in.

StuAff

Sounds tempting, but I can't commit at this point in time. 1st May bank holiday is tentativly earmarked for parts of the Viva Colonia reccee.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but you could combine the two, seeing as we'll be riding from Ghent to Ostend via Bruges. OK, mostly in the dark, but the route I imagine will be much the same.....

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but you could combine the two, seeing as we'll be riding from Ghent to Ostend via Bruges. OK, mostly in the dark, but the route I imagine will be much the same.....
not really, as I plan to srart in Cologne or Aachen on the Saturday. Moreover, checking out café stops may be a bit tricky at night...

Top Bottom