FNRttC FNRttK Brussels-Ostend RIDE CLOSED. Full up!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
checking out café stops may be a bit tricky at night...
not to mention that, ideally, recces should ride the roads at the same time and on the same day of the week as the Real Thing so a proper assessment of traffic levels can be made, and how safe it'd be for a large group at that time. there's often a huge difference - eg the workers going to the French nuclear power plant at Flammanville make the road very busy at the start of their shifts but the road is pretty empty at other times of the day, as we found on the recce for Normandy a few years ago. The Netherlands is slightly different as you're on roads shared with cars only about 10 per cent of the time.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
not to mention that, ideally, recces should ride the roads at the same time and on the same day of the week as the Real Thing so a proper assessment of traffic levels can be made, and how safe it'd be for a large group at that time. there's often a huge difference - eg the workers going to the French nuclear power plant at Flammanville make the road very busy at the start of their shifts but the road is pretty empty at other times of the day, as we found on the recce for Normandy a few years ago. The Netherlands is slightly different as you're on roads shared with cars only about 10 per cent of the time.
Good point.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Ever since I first read of it, this ride has been on my must-do list. Unfortunately the week before the early May bank holiday is now earmarked for my only must-attend work do of the year, which travels around Europe and includes the weekend. If it happens to travel to somewhere near Brussels next year - I'll find out in a couple of weeks - I'm in.
It's not, it's in Provence. I'm out.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
not sure if he's paid his subs but i understand he's done a bit of riding ;)
Oh yes, just a bit...

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Update: have checked in the sub-folder within a folder inside the fridaynightridetothecoast@gmail.com email address thingy and found I have put there some emails that had been sent so we add
  1. @wanda2010
  2. @ianmac62
  3. @BalkanExpress
  4. @mmmmartin
  5. @Flandrienne
  6. @swarm_catcher
  7. @StuAff
  8. @StuartG
  9. [S]@AKA Bob[/S] Doing gnarly audax. Probs not coming.
  10. John S (also known in another place as Salvatore)
  11. David V Confirmed (of the family we visit)
  12. @Gordon P
  13. ?
  14. ?
After 14 we create a waiting list and an undemocratic, unfair, Byzantine and Kafka-esque system of decision-making will whittle participants down to 14 by chucking some off the list and dragging others on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom