FNRttC FNRttK Brussels-Ostend RIDE CLOSED. Full up!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
excellent. Note also @BalkanExpress sent an email saying he wants to come along.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Half-serious question. In the unlikely event we get more than 14 interested parties, could we not just appoint/select at random/switch at intervals a couple of 'road captains'?

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
no, because the halfway stop couldn't cope with feeding that large number. it's more that issue than the Belgian law, TBH.

(When it comes to the weeding out, someone with an already-purchased and obviously very expensive Eurostar/ferry ticket, and planning a long detour home after the event, wouldn't be bumped off the list, obvs. Someone who's paid tuppence for a 36 hour bus journey in economy class surrounded by goats and chickens might not get the same considerate treatment, obvs.)

Last edited:

StuAff

no, because the halfway stop couldn't cope with feeding that large number. it's more that issue than the Belgian law, TBH.

(When it comes to the weeding out, someone with an already-purchased Eurostar/ferry ticket wouldn't be bumped off the list, obvs.)
Indeed, wouldn't be fair or reasonable on our hosts- would have to be t' Hoekske for a bigger group. Karen's cooking wins over numbers I think!

StuartG

slower but further
(When it comes to the weeding out, someone with an already-purchased Eurostar/ferry ticket wouldn't be bumped off the list, obvs.)
Megabus discrimination. Typical of the Tunbridge Wells set. I'm going to take this all the way to Strasbourg (but not by bike obvs) :evil:

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
(When it comes to the weeding out, someone with an already-purchased and obviously very expensive Eurostar/ferry ticket, and planning a long detour home after the event, wouldn't be bumped off the list, obvs. Someone who's paid tuppence for a 36 hour bus journey in economy class surrounded by goats and chickens might not get the same considerate treatment, obvs.)
My post amended. :giggle:

StuAff

HBF. Travelling at 180 mph in comfort wins over the international version of the 700 Coastliner.... 6 1/2 hours on a bus sounds like purgatory. Even for £12.50 vs £45.

StuartG

slower but further
Take the train, it's twice as fast as the bus ;)
And the Brussels-Oostende train is many more times faster and safer than bike @StuAff. You know it makes sense.

I have done it both ways many times. Eurostar was great when it stopped this side of the river. Nowadays getting to Victoria is so much easier (and faster) than St Pancras especially with a bike. Then its just how many chapters of a good book you can fit in before the first Leffe. Its about even-stevens for me and the difference (twice what you quote) will buy quite a few Leffes even in Bruges Grand-Markt!

We are not all waged like you or have big pensions. But we still like to eat cake ^_^

StuAff

And the Brussels-Oostende train is many more times faster and safer than bike @StuAff. You know it makes sense.

I have done it both ways many times. Eurostar was great when it stopped this side of the river. Nowadays getting to Victoria is so much easier (and faster) than St Pancras especially with a bike. Then its just how many chapters of a good book you can fit in before the first Leffe. Its about even-stevens for me and the difference (twice what you quote) will buy quite a few Leffes even in Bruges Grand-Markt!

We are not all waged like you or have big pensions. But we still like to eat cake ^_^
You pays your money....Absolute cheapest London-Brussels ticket I've found on Megabus is £10, booking horizon is much shorter than Eurostar. From this south of the river, I'd need to be in the smoke on a 6am or earlier train in order to be at Victoria Coach Station on time for the 9am coach, the Southern 5am into Victoria probably the best bet. So that means rising at 4 or so....Fourteen hours later I'd get to Brussels. Door to door with Eurostar is about seven hours....and I can take a full size bike plus luggage. Money well spent, opinions vary....

StuartG

slower but further
Door to door with Eurostar is about seven hours....
Your endurance is commendable without WiFi. But I find it a little last millennium. What next? Steam engines :whistle:

Door to door for me via Megabus is about about the same. Internet connected this side of the channel in case you get bored of books and usually less crowded than Eurostar so I usually bag two seats to spread myself. Sporting lycra shorts does help persuade folks to sit elsewhere!

Actually I prefer Gent as a base. Its shorter (especially the return - can you get a channel crossing for a tenner?) and accommodation is better/cheaper, the city more beautiful and cycling much more enjoyable 'cos spending the difference enjoying a country with a friend for an extra day or so is worthwhile to some. But, as you say, you takes your choice.

The downside is you are restricted to a folder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom