Focus Cayo 105 or Cube Attempt compact 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdrussell

Hi,

How are you all doing ?

I just wanted some advice from anyone who may know anything about these two bikes. I went to a shop yesterday to hopefully get the cube but the size was wrong, the guy explained that I needed the 62cm model as I am 6 foot 3 and the 60cm that he had in stock just wasn't right.

I then came home to find wiggle doing a deal in the Focus Cayo 105 for less than the cube. However as far as I can see Wiggle are the only people in the UK who sell this bike. I'm a little concerned about sizing. If I s 62 on the acute, should I just stick to 62cm for the focus ?

It seems the focus is the better way to go, it is slightly cheaper than the Cube and it is a full carbon frame. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Focus - http://www.wiggle.co...o-105-ltd-2011/
Cube - http://www.cubebikes...be-Attempt-2011

Thanks in advance,

Jon

OP
OP
jdrussell

jdrussell

I just wanted to add I want to use the bike to commute to work each day as well as do some sportives and longer rides this year.

OP
OP
jdrussell

jdrussell

This months Cycling Active reviewed the Focus Cayo 105 and gave it a very impressive 95%. That would do it for but make sure you test ride one first.

Nice, I will check that review out. I think Wiggle are the only suppliers of the Focus though, so I take it I'll have to go down the 30 day trial period route with them. I was trying to find focus bike stockists in London but all I keep getting is wiggle's website.

Any ideas ?

e-rider

crappy member
I've got a Focus Cayo 105

I'm 6' 2" (almost) 187cm and I bought the 60cm size which seems to fit perfectly.

I can't fault the Focus Cayo really except that the saddle was crap so I changed it. Wiggle are also a good company to deal with.

Focus bikes are very popular in Germany which is where they are from (Hamburg), but Wiggle have the exclusive rights to sell them in the UK at the moment.

I would say that the ride position is a little racey so the handlebars are not very high - but this depends what you're looking for.

Cube are also German I believe!

You can see my Focus in the 'show us your carbon" thread in the photo gallery section - page 16 (since the photo I've lowered the saddle by 4mm, and raised the handlebars by 23mm by flipping the stem over (which does make it look rubbish; but more comfortable))

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Both nice bikes! I do really like the Focus bikes though...
Cubes have 'funny' sizing, in m opinion. eg. a 56 doesn't measure 56 in either seat tube or top tube! Looks to me like they come up smaller than other brands and a I would prob size up, if opting for the Cube. Wiggle allow test rides, if you can get down to their warehouse, I thought? Somewhere near Pompey, mefinks...

e-rider

crappy member
Both nice bikes! I do really like the Focus bikes though...
Cubes have 'funny' sizing, in m opinion. eg. a 56 doesn't measure 56 in either seat tube or top tube! Looks to me like they come up smaller than other brands and a I would prob size up, if opting for the Cube. Wiggle allow test rides, if you can get down to their warehouse, I thought? Somewhere near Pompey, mefinks...

you can get a 30 day test ride, and the bike is delivered and collected from your house for free!

OP
OP
jdrussell

jdrussell

Reckon I might get the Cayo then. The only slight thing stopping me is the riding position. I'm no small bloke, 110kgs and 6 foot 3 I'm a unit.

I'm doing London to Brighton on the 19th June plus some longer rides. So still go for the Cayo ?

e-rider

crappy member
I range from 105 to 110 kgs too. The weight is no problem. From what I can see the geometry of the Focus and Cube bikes are very similar.

If you want something with a more 'head up' riding position look at the Specialized Sectuer range - they have very high handlebars ideal for long 100+ mile sportive events etc.

With the 30 day trial you could order it, use it for London to Brighton and then if you don't like it, send it back after the event - all within 30 days; bear in mind they take a week or so to arrive!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
When I click the Wiggle link, I get:

warn2.gif
Sorry - this product is no longer available This Focus Cayo 105 Ltd 2011 is no longer available although you may find similar or newer versions below:

EDIT: Ignore me! had destination set to USA (to checkout the new stock of Boardmans, the other day)...

e-rider

crappy member
When I click the Wiggle link, I get:

warn2.gif
Sorry - this product is no longer available This Focus Cayo 105 Ltd 2011 is no longer available although you may find similar or newer versions below:

EDIT: Ignore me! had destination set to USA (to checkout the new stock of Boardmans, the other day)...

I get the bike??? I did notice that the 62cm frame is out-of-stock.

Up to 190cm (185-190) for the 60cm and 190-195cm for the 62cm frame - if that helps?

I'm 187cm and went for the 60cm and it's perfect.

I've had a Focus Cayo Pro for a couple of years now and it's been a cracking bike. It's been all over my usual rides and it came to Lanzarote with me last year where we had an absolute ball.

The Cayo usually has several spacers on the steerer tube, so if it is a bit racey for you you could always raise the bar height by playing around with the spacers.

Wiggle have always been excellent with me, I have no hesitation in recommeding them for a large purchase like this.

Finally, I'd guarentee you'll be blown away if you order one. What I mean is, pictures never, ever do a bike justice, but when you pull it out of the box and see it in the flesh, you will be blown away.

PS: I also have a Focus Mares AX 1.0, completely different bike, but my point is the quality and finish is equally as good as my Cayo.

OP
OP
jdrussell

jdrussell

I get the bike??? I did notice that the 62cm frame is out-of-stock.

Up to 190cm (185-190) for the 60cm and 190-195cm for the 62cm frame - if that helps?

I'm 187cm and went for the 60cm and it's perfect.

Yeah so I think I am about the same as you or maybe a couple of centimeters taller. When I went to the bike shop for the cube, he said he wouldn't have been happy to sell me the 60cm and I needed the 62cm. Good job, cos I then found out about the Cayo.

So, do I still get the 62 or go for the 60 ?

Can't really advise on size as bike are not a one size fits all item.

But as for the Focus brand then I would have absolutely no problems recommending them. I bought a Focus Variado Expert a few years back. It was my first road bike, got a cracking deal (IMHO) 699 with Ultegra gearing.

It has been an outstanding bike, now used as my winter/training ride and still going strong. I can't think of a single problem.

I have also found wiggle to be excellent to deal with over the years.

So its a thumbs up for both from me :thumbsup:

Glover Fan

I have a 2009 Focus Cayo 105.

Absolutely cracking bike, pretty much ready to go.

Only downsides IMO are poor wheels (mine were RS10's not sure what is on them now), awful saddle, poor stem and seatpost. I was also slightly annoyed that although advertised as full 105 groupset you only get a FSA Gossamer chainset.

I got mine for £876 through an end of year sale, for a fully carbon 105 bike you honestly can't go wrong.

Highly recommend Focus and for my next roadbike i'd be tempted with their Dura-ace offering which is less than 2.5k!!!

Top Bottom