England : Oxfordshire Folding Bicycle Ride from Reading to Oxford Saturday 12th April 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sbird

Über Member
And signing on for this one if I can please AKA Bob.

PS - Does you route go by the infamous Oxford Shark - if it still exists?

PPS - Have changed tyres so hopefully your mechanical skills will not be necessary this time.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
OK, count me as properly in :smile:

Intending to ride back to Reading as well....

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
And signing on for this one if I can please AKA Bob.

PS - Does you route go by the infamous Oxford Shark - if it still exists?

PPS - Have changed tyres so hopefully your mechanical skills will not be necessary this time.

StuAff and sBird it will be good to have you both along as after much talk and complaint about organising a Brompton only ride and then opening up to other folders yesterday's ride turned out to be a Brompton only affair....

lilolee

Veteran
I should be OK, for this, but will shoot off at end I have to be in London that evening.

An interesting new route for me up to Checkendon, looks good.

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Those joining this ride are

David P
Anne M
TFMC
Charlie B
Mr and Mrs Olaf
Simon Bird
StuAff
Titus
Lilolee
John

If you fancy joining us more the merrier.

StuAff

Thanks for the route link Titus, now on the Garmin.

Anyone fancy joining me for a return leg to Reading?

sbird

Über Member
For those who would like to see the route in advance and download the GPX please visit http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/383629830

Interesting exit from Reading. I haven't been that way for quite a while. Should be fun.

BTW is there a dress code for a Bird with a Birdy cuckooing onto a, probably, mainly Brommie ride? Is it tie and jacket as per The Brompton World Championship?

lilolee

Veteran
Many thanks to Titus for organising this and letting a few of us non Bromptonites on the ride. The off-road was interesting, but some how I don't think I'll be doing it again soon.
Can't wait to see some photos.

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Many thanks to Titus for organising this and letting a few of us non Bromptonites on the ride. The off-road was interesting, but some how I don't think I'll be doing it again soon.
Can't wait to see some photos.

Sorry for the slightly longer than planned off road bit. I have already amended the ride to avoid that bit next time.

StuAff

That was splendid, the last part of my ride notwithstanding (I'll come to that). Fairly early start- 6.30- to make a 7.39 train north (later services either slower or a bit too late for Titus' request of 9.45- I don't like keeping people waiting). Ride to the station was pleasingly rapid, 2 miles in 8 minutes (Chutney flies in the right conditions). Journey up to Reading was uneventful- two changes of train but only 90 minutes total. Winchester-Reading leg was on a Cross Country service, cycle reservations required. Oh no, if only I had a folding bike....oh, wait a minute :smile: I knew about that (in this case) non-issue beforehand, I have actually taken a CC service with a regular bike, no reservations, no problem. Chutney fitted nicely in the luggage rack. Plenty of time at Reading station to admire the new stuff (haven't been back to town for quite a few years), get a cup of tea, and meet the other Stuart, before everyone else arrived. Charlie's new SS Brommie was ridiculously light- it felt a lot lighter that Chutney to me, but then it didn't have a whacking great DualDrive hub (a kilo, give or take). As nice as the various permutations of Andrew Richie's creations were, not suffering Brompton envy. Oh no. Now, if I could have one of Len Rubin's legendary UFB ones (27 speed and Rohloff versions were planned, full titanium frame, as low as 17 lbs...never to be on retail sale, it would appear) that would be different. Chutney will never fold as small as a Brommie, but I wouldn't swap it for one.

Despite spending four years in academia at Whiteknights, plus a few visits since, that was the first time I'd ever ridden a bike in Reading (never took one to uni). So that made a nice change. Absolutely, positively, did not enjoy the off-roading at all. Chutney's not built for it, and I just get nervous. OK, terrified. I did point out Paris-Roubaix was the day after. Thankfully, we were on tarmac for the most part after that. Mapledurham was interesting (though I've watched The Eagle Has Landed several times, and read the book, I never knew it starred as Studley Constable). Did wonder how the WW2 re-enactment (this coming weekend) was going to feature the whole thing. Pearl Harbor in the duck pond perhaps?

The village shop at Ewelme was a good choice- OK, there was a bit of a wait (there had been a build-up of orders before we got there), but no complaints about the tea and cake when it arrived (anything but). And on we went, scenery remaining lovely, pace remaining (generally) pootly- though Titus did make a lone breakaway or two- at least until the outskirts of Oxford (Blackbird Leys...definitely not lovely).

And, past hordes of suicidal tourist peds and the odd blind-as-a-bat driver (who tried to take out three of us), through the city of dreaming spires, and on to Zappi's. I'd fancied a visit to the place ever since I first heard about it. I have ridden to Oxfordshire (Wantage) from home a couple of times, but never quite made it to the city- just a bit further (150 mile round trip) for one thing. I've got to go back there again. Cracking toasted sandwich (the New Yorker- pastrami, cheese, gherkin and mustard) and a big cup of tea (loose leaf no less) for a fiver. And in a very nice bike shop too...lovely bling of all types. Bade my farewells to Olaf and Katarina, the last remaining by that point, and headed back south to Reading. After the tiptoe out of the centre, pace sped up rapidly in both senses- at one point the average on the Garmin was 15 mph, aided by the tailwind. Slowed down a bit thanks to the climbing (those bloomin' Chilterns again), 'rustic lanes', and the odd bit of ropey OSM routing (I'd probably have stuck with A roads with hindsight), but I still made good time....

Until about five miles out of Reading, that was. Rear wheel started squirming a bit. Uh oh. After a few minutes I stopped on a hilltop, checked the tyre- soft. Did not fancy trying to change the tube (I don't get many punctures so not expert by any means. DualDrive hub complicates matters somewhat. And I didn't have the necessary spanner anyway). Tried pumping it up again, the normally reliable pump seemed to make no difference. Hobbled into town and to the station, ride increasingly slow, noisy and uncomfortable. Even with that, back there in 2:10, 12.7 mph overall average. It would have been easily under two hours otherwise. Checked the train times on the National Rail app, to find that there was a CC service southbound, which I have just missed. ****!! Twenty minute wait for a train to Guildford though, so not too bad. Have another go with the pump, tyre goes straight up again, though a bit of sidewall damage was evident, unsurprisingly. Tyre stays up on throughout the trip to Guildford. Pump it up a bit more waiting for the train home, seemingly fully inflated. Get to Fratton, rolls beautifully for perhaps half a mile, before rapidly deflating again. Some (nit)wit felt the need to point out I had a flat on the home stretch (no **** Sherlock). Grrr....back, finally, at a quarter past eight.

After today's ton tomorrow will be a rest day. And getting that puncture sorted....

Thanks Titus for organising, and everyone for a great day!

Last edited:
Top Bottom