Footpaths that lead across farmers' fields

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have been trying to explore some running routes south of Oxford during my lunch hour. My problem is that although the footpaths are clearly shown on Ordnance Survey maps, they are not very clearly signed when I try and follow them. Often it seems the footpath leads across a farmer's field. If it's a bare field or just grass I don't suppose there is any problem, but some of the fields look like they have been sown with some crop, wheat maybe. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You can use Bing maps on OS setting to check the most up-to-date footpaths. If there's a footpath shown across a field it should be kept as a right of way by the farmer. If ploughed it should be reinstated it within a certain time (can't recall exactly). On the other hand, if they've left a reasonable border round the edge of a crop I'd tend to use that unless it's a major detour.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Part of my local cyclepath goes over farmland that sometimes has cows on it. They seem docile enough, but then, I doubt they would have them out with young calfs or wild bulls.

Never had any problems anyway.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
You can use Bing maps on OS setting to check the most up-to-date footpaths. If there's a footpath shown across a field it should be kept as a right of way by the farmer. If ploughed it should be reinstated it within a certain time (can't recall exactly). On the other hand, if they've left a reasonable border round the edge of a crop I'd tend to use that unless it's a major detour.
Yup to this. A lot of routes that pass over farmers fields will either be well defined by boot prints across the field, or around the edges. What we tend to do (Scout group) is follow the footpath on the ground - OS maps may only have historical information and might not reflect changes on the ground from local planning authorities. Also, on a personal level, I would rather go round a field than through it, to prevent crop damage.

We took up walking a while back and got a book of local routes.
One section went across a field boundary that had been merged into one field, with barbed wire and the Public Footpath sign taken up and thrown in a hedge.
If it's a right of way then a few people should turn up and re-tread the path, whatever is in the way. If farmers want the things rerouted then there should be a procedure for it that includes proper signage.

Andy_R

As an addendum, we have found quite a few farmers have posted notices asking people to go around not across. Some die hards will ignore this, but personally, because it is utimately the farmer's land I usually adhere to it. ( normally, you'll find that going around is less muddy too)

Andy_R

One section went across a field boundary that had been merged into one field, with barbed wire and the Public Footpath sign taken up and thrown in a hedge.
If it's a right of way then a few people should turn up and re-tread the path, whatever is in the way. If farmers want the things rerouted then there should be a procedure for it that includes proper signage.
If a public right of way has been blocked, you are perfectly within your rights to remove the blockage, as long as you do not cause criminal damage

Drago

Legendary Member
It may be their land, but the right of way almost certainly existed centuries before they owned it.

@young Ed is a farm type bloke, I wonder what his experiences may be?

classic33

Leg End Member
Whilst it may be a footpath is it an actual public right of way(PROW). The two differ legally.
The footpath may be there as a shared path for all those in the area, and can be blocked by the landowners.
PROW's cannot be legally blocked by the landowner, and you have the legal right to remove any obstruction on that PROW, that prevents you from following it. Crop fields, you'd be wiser taking the longer way round, rather than following the PROW as shown on the map. It's also illegal on the part of the landowner to place a bull in a filed crossed by a PROW.
Might sound completely daft, suicidal. But if you find yourself in such a field, don't attempt to try and outrun the bull. Turn, face it and run at it.

Ordnance Survey maps carried the disclaimer that the evidence of a footpath did not indicate evidence of of a PROW.

If in doubt check with the local council, who will hold the Definitive Guide to PROW's within their area

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
There is, but its long winded and can cost the landowner. Much easier to show that the PROW hasn't been used in awhile and seek the extinguishing of it that way.

Andy_R

It may be their land, but the right of way almost certainly existed centuries before they owned it.

@young Ed is a farm type bloke, I wonder what his experiences may be?
My experience has been this so far:

Farmer would like you to go around the edge of the field where his crops are growing, has put in new stiles that dont wobble like an excited blancmange. Drainage has been sorted so you aren't knee deep in a mix of cow poo and clay. Farmer has made an effort to encourage you to use the facilities provided and not trample his crops.

Farmer who doesn't care - track goes straight across the field. As you walk across it, you can feel yourself getting taller cos of clay/mud/cow poo adhereing to your boots. Stiles are just about navigable, but usually have barbed wire wrapped around the nearest upright that you would use to stabilise yourself.

I do a heck of a lot of walking, with my Scouts and my wife's Cubs and although this isn't always the truth, it's pretty much close to the norm. Oh, and by the way, just cos it's on the map, it isn't alway there.

classic33

Leg End Member
The placing of barbed wire can land the person responsible in a bit of trouble. You are within your rights to remove any obstruction placed across a stile, without the need to replace it. Take pictures if possible.

Top Bottom