For anyone considering a Carrera Subway...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Weegie

Hi all,

Just bought a Carrera Subway 2 from Halfords, and I'm chuffed to bits with it (although I've only set it up & done my first tentative 3 mile try-out run this morning, after 25 years off a bike). However, here's an important bit of info for anyone also considering buying a Subway...

TWO DIFFERENT MODELS are available - the Carrera Subway 2 Town & Trail and the Carrera Subway 2 Hybrid Commuter. The same confusion also applies to the cheaper Carrera 1. When people talk about the Subway on this forum, they generally don't specify which model they're referring to.

There are quite a few differences between the two models. For example, the Commuter has a triple ring chainset, the Trail has a double. The Commuter has a solid seatpost, the Trail has a suspension post.

This big difference for me is that the Trail has an adjustable stem. As a non-expert, I really didn't pick up on the importance of this. So for the numpties out there like me - it means you can not adjust the height of the handlebars on the Commuter model!

Of course, I bought the Commuter, and then found that I could ideally use an extra inch or two of handle height to get properly comfortable. Oh well, lesson learned. It's still seems like a really nice bike :smile:

Hope this helps someone. I guess the real lesson here is to try and visually inspect the actual bike you're buying, and more importantly, try it on for size. Unfortunately, my local Halfords didn't have one built on the shop floor, and in a fit of purchasing enthusiasm, I bought it anyway to build up myself.

Garz

Squat Member
Oh well weegie at least you can start having fun on your new steed, I too began on a carrera subway hybrid almost two years back now but it introduced me into road cycling.

:smile:

OP
OP
Weegie

Weegie

Wait until the autumn and Halfords usually knock a fair whack off these. They've done it for the past 4 years at least.

Fair point, if you can wait. Personally, I wanted to get back onto a bike far more than I wanted to save some money :smile:

HelenD123

Guru
Weegie said:
Fair point, if you can wait. Personally, I wanted to get back onto a bike far more than I wanted to save some money :smile:

They're reduced at the moment. Up to a third off Carrera bikes.

montage

God Almighty
You can change the handlebar height if there are spacers above the stem. And you could buy an adjustable stem no problem :smile:

OP
OP
Weegie

Weegie

montage said:
You can change the handlebar height if there are spacers above the stem. And you could buy an adjustable stem no problem :smile:

Cheers for the tips. The spacers are unfortunately factory fitted below the stem, so no joy there. I was able to tweak another 1" height by changing the rotation of the handlebar, but that also moved the hand grips further away from the seat, so one cancelled out the other. Might look into an adjustable stem.

It baffles me why Halfords don't just fit adjustable stems on both models. Can't imagine there would be much of a difference in cost or weight. Ho-hum.

OLDSHUNTER

:becool:Hi weegie if bar height not ample did you not try a frame size larger?It is well known that halfords have at times ill advised customers and sold them wrong frame size maybe you should go back to them .Also if you paid rrp not the sale price then you might want to take it back and explain that bike sold to you was sold to you with in appropiate size information and you are entitled to a full 28 day refund. Then get size larger via internet site, something to think about:becool::smile:

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I think its a common problem with the Subway as the three other people I've spoken too who have one have all said the same .... "Great bike but the front end is too low".

I'm matched to an 18" frame (tested other makes of bikes in other LBS) and the 18" framed Subway LTD I own is too low for me too, since this is to be my second bike, I'll not be using it until I make the corrections that suit me.

But all the same it is a damn good bike for the price (if only my arms were longer) :smile:

Norm

OP
OP
Weegie

Weegie

OLDSHUNTER said:
:becool:Hi weegie if bar height not ample did you not try a frame size larger?

Well, when I stand astride the top tube, I can only lift the bike by a couple of inches. I've been led to believe that's about right? I would think going up to a 22" frame would kill me, or at least render me useless at certain other sports.

I guess I just have short legs and a long body. No worries, the stem raiser pointed out by Norm will do the trick nicely. Once I realised such goodies were available, I also spotted this 35 degree stem raiser in Halfords, which might do the same job in a slightly more attractive way.

It is well known that halfords have at times ill advised customers and sold them wrong frame size maybe you should go back to them .Also if you paid rrp not the sale price then you might want to take it back and explain that bike sold to you was sold to you with in appropiate size information and you are entitled to a full 28 day refund. Then get size larger via internet site, something to think about:becool::smile:
Thanks for the suggestion - I did go think about that, but finally decided that since I've spent 2 fun days setting up & tweaking the bike to near-perfection, the last thing I want is a refund :smile:.

Horsfall

I have the subway commuter limited ed with the white wheels etc, and I wasn't told that I couldn't adjust the handlebar height, but doesn't seem to be a problem for me at the moment

Horsfall said:
I have the subway commuter limited ed with the white wheels etc, and I wasn't told that I couldn't adjust the handlebar height, but doesn't seem to be a problem for me at the moment

I have the exact same bike I wasnt told either. I do find my self leaning forward quite a bit and end up putting a lot of weight on my arms.
I didnt even think to check that I just assumed that was standard feature

willem

Über Member
This is all because of the modern aheadset construction. The best solution is to get a riser stem. Make sure you get the right size both in terms of forward reach and in terms of angle. Also make sure you get a stem for the right bar diameter: some fancier bars are now oversize (I bet yours is not).
Bike size is less a matter of height than of frame length.
If you move your saddle back, you will also have less weight on your hands.
Willem

Yea apparenty a stem is £15. The halfords return policy is very good though I made a bit of a risky decision today and exchanged my subway for the tdf road bike. They did it with no hassle at all.
Most of my riding is going to be main road & dual carrageway so If made the right choice I dont know. The brief time I had the subway ltd I could'nt fault it but it was a case of the grass is greener ( eg road bike ) . I couldnt have both and if I bought a second bike at the moment it would be devorce time :biggrin:
Very addictive this bike lark :ohmy:

Top Bottom