England : Lancashire Forum ride - 'Bowland Revisited' - POSTPONED until SEPT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm afraid I can't make this one either, Keswick Beer Festival this time!
You are supposed to drink beer after the rides, not instead of them ... Have fun anyway! :thumbsup:

I can't remember if you are free for 'SITD Reloaded' or whatever you want to call it - on Saturday 10th May? (Too many combinations of people/dates/different rides!) I will be starting a thread about it later today.

Alun

Guru
You are supposed to drink beer after the rides, not instead of them ... Have fun anyway! :thumbsup:

I can't remember if you are free for 'SITD Reloaded' or whatever you want to call it - on Saturday 10th May? (Too many combinations of people/dates/different rides!) I will be starting a thread about it later today.
No Beer Festivals that weekend, I have put it in my diary!
There is also the Bowland Forest Populaire on 25 May if you're interested, starts from Caton, 5mls from Lancaster

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

No Beer Festivals that weekend, I have put it in my diary!
There is also the Bowland Forest Populaire on 25 May if you're interested, starts from Caton, 5mls from Lancaster
Good man! I have just started this Dales ride thread.

I won't be doing the Bowland Forest Populaire because (a) I am booked up for the second half of May (b) My second Bowland forum is only 2 weeks after that anyway.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I should be good for this , along with a few lads from work we are doing the Coast to Coast in a day (Sellafield to Whitby) at the end of June , so need to get as many miles up hills as possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Rider List:
  • ColinJ :wacko:
  • Steve H :wacko:
  • oldfatfool (maybe)
  • Littgull
  • Pennine-Paul
  • Stu Smith
  • Nick Stone
  • kiwi-Sal
  • Mickthemove
  • DiddlyDodds
We are not committing to a longer version yet, but ... Steve and I are toying with the idea of also doing the extra from Hebden Bridge to Spring Wood and back, which would make it a total distance of about 105 miles. We we will not make a final decision on that until a few days before the ride when we can see what our fitness is like, and what the forecast is for the day. If we do the extra riding, I think we would go out by the same route as 'Season of Mists' - Heptonstall Road, Lee Wood (rather than the village itself), Colden, Jack Bridge, Blackshaw Head, Long Causeway, Burnley, Fence, Padiham Heights, Sabden, then turn left for Spring Wood. We would come back in the evening on the A671/A646 because we would have had enough of hills by then!

We would have to set off from HB pretty early, say 07:30? (I will ride out to Spring Wood by that hilly route soon and check how long it takes me.)

It would be like the other Bowland ride - most riders gather at Spring Wood. A few ride over from HB to meet them.

If you might fancy the extended version, let me know, and I will add a lunacy marker to your name in the list above, thus - :wacko:! (No promises though - sanity may prevail! :laugh:)

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
@ColinJ finding i had a day off from work yesterday i and a mate did the "back from the dead ride" route and i have to say what a good route it was, with almost no traffic at all on 90% of the lanes being a Friday.
If the weather is looking good for the 7th i will go with the start at Hebden.

Stu Smith

Veteran
Unfortunately I'll no longer be able to make this one due to work commitment's..
Two guys signed off this week on long term sick. The dreaded Stress hits again..
Looks like a lot more hours to be worked on my part through the summer. Not very good when on salary..
Hope to make the next one.
Stu.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@ColinJ finding i had a day off from work yesterday i and a mate did the "back from the dead ride" route and i have to say what a good route it was, with almost no traffic at all on 90% of the lanes being a Friday.
If the weather is looking good for the 7th i will go with the start at Hebden.
:thumbsup:

I still have to check with @Steve H that he is up for the extended version. I did a long ride on my recent Midlands trip and coped with it ok. It wasn't as hilly as this one will be, but it was 12 miles longer so I reckon I would be ok for 105 slow hilly miles here. I must go out one day next week and do the scenic ride over to Spring Wood to check how long it takes me.

Unfortunately I'll no longer be able to make this one due to work commitment's..
Two guys signed off this week on long term sick. The dreaded Stress hits again..
Looks like a lot more hours to be worked on my part through the summer. Not very good when on salary..
Hope to make the next one.
Stu.
Bad luck, Stu. I got lumbered like that a lot in the past. One year, my summer holiday in the Yorkshire Dales kept getting put back due to work pressure and I ended up taking it the week before Bonfire Night (coming back on BN itself). We woke up in our caravan after our first night there and discovered that we were snowed in! :becool:

I'll organise something else in July after the TdF weekend craziness is over.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

June 7th... My birthday! Can I come too? Do I get a flight for me and my bike as a birthday present from you lovely, lovely Forum folks? ;)
Tell you what - if you pay for your flight, I'll buy you a piece of cake for your present. You have to ride to the cafe to collect the cake though - I'm not posting it to Canada! :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Now that my Dales ride has been completed, it is time to remind you all of this one! I have edited the first post to show a little map of the route. I am busy today but I will try to add more details later today, or perhaps tomorrow.

Provisional rider list: (:wacko: = mad riders doing extra miles and hills from Hebden Bridge to/from Spring Wood, Whalley)
  • ColinJ :wacko:
  • Steve H :wacko:
  • oldfatfool (maybe)
  • Littgull
  • Pennine-Paul
  • Nick Stone
  • kiwi-Sal
  • Mickthemove
  • DiddlyDodds + mates from work (possibly :wacko:!)
  • SlowerThanASluggishSloth (maybe)
For those of you who can't make Saturdays ... I promise that my next forum ride after this will be on a Sunday! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom