England : Lancashire Forum ride - 'Bowland Revisited' - POSTPONED until SEPT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have now attached a GPX file with details of the main loop to the end of the first post in the thread.

I will add details later of the car park meeting places for anybody who has not been on my rides from Hebden Bridge or Spring Wood before.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The forecast is looking a bit iffy for Saturday. I will plot a less demanding alternative route in case we are unlucky.

Meanwhile ... You have all gone a bit quiet - am I still going to have company for the ride? :whistle:

Mickthemove

Über Member
Sorry Guys, I will have to Bail for this, i have been substituted in to replace a lad on the Paris Roubaix Sportive on Sunday!! Although i am nowhere ready for it, it is on my bucket list of rides to do so couldn't turn it down, Soz but have a good ride everyone

On an aside @ColinJ , i did the Briarcliffe loop of Hebden last Monday bank Holiday and other than the unrideable 2 mile over the top to haworth it was a fab route, i also had an acquaintance with something called Trawden OMG!! that is a tough climb

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

'Ping' @oldfatfool, @Pennine-Paul, @Nick Stone, @kiwi-Sal, @DiddlyDodds, @SlowerThanASluggishSloth!

BAD WEATHER REPORT

The forecast for Saturday is currently looking grim all day - quite windy, very heavy rain and with the possibility of thunderstorms. If it is as bad as that, I wouldn't even want to ride an easier 'Plan B' route so I am going to keep an eye on the forecast and will make a decision tomorrow about what to do. I might do what I did with my previous forum ride and postpone it for a week or two in the hope of better weather. If the forecast becomes merely poor rather than grim, I might opt for a shorter ride on Saturday, with the original ride rescheduled for a couple of weeks time.

Sorry if the ride gets postponed, folks, but I want to enjoy the glorious scenery not battle with the elements all day!

I will let you know by tomorrow (Thursday) evening.

Last edited:
I agree, Colin, it would be a real 'waste' of the stunning route you have planned to attempt it in really grim weather. Still count me in though if the Saturday forecast takes a big turnaround for the better within the next 24 hours.

Unfortunately, family commitments over the next 3 or 4 weekends after this weekend (both sons and grandson live 200 miles away) would make it difficult for me to participate in any rides for a while.

Steve H

Large Member
BAD WEATHER REPORT

The forecast for Saturday is currently looking grim all day - quite windy, very heavy rain and with the possibility of thunderstorms. If it is as bad as that, I wouldn't even want to ride an easier 'Plan B' route so I am going to keep an eye on the forecast and will make a decision tomorrow about what to do. I might do what I did with my previous forum ride and postpone it for a week or two in the hope of better weather. If the forecast becomes merely poor rather than grim, I might opt for a shorter ride on Saturday, with the original ride rescheduled for a couple of weeks time.

Sorry if the ride gets postponed, folks, but I want to enjoy the glorious scenery not battle with the elements all day!

I will let you know by tomorrow (Thursday) evening.

100% agree Colin. Riding should be fun, not a chore

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The forecast seems to be getting worse, if anything - lightning bolts now for the time we would be coming back over Bowland Knotts! :eek:

If I postpone Saturday's ride tomorrow, I am thinking about doing a recce ride of the route on Friday when good weather is forecast. If any of you are free that day you would be welcome to join me. Let's decide on that tomorrow though ...

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Its not looking good at all, Heavy rain and lightening
upload_2014-6-5_12-59-10.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes - I keep checking the forecast for Hebden Bridge, Clitheroe and Wray (which covers the whole route) and it doesn't look good at all.

I'll make the decision now - *RIDE POSTPONED*! :sad:

I have promised various people that I would do a Sunday ride because they can't get Saturdays of, so let's move it to a Sunday. The 15th is The Good Companions 200 from Mytholmroyd and I don't want to clash with that. I am booked up on the 29th, and there is a certain little organised ride coming down through the valley on the following Sunday (:thumbsup:) so I am definitely booked up on that day ...

So, let's try Sunday, 22nd June. I hope most of you who signed up for this Saturday can make that date instead.

In contrast to Saturday's grim forecast, tomorrow is looking good so I am going to go set off in the morning to ride the route then instead. I am thinking of setting off from Market Place car park in Hebden Bridge at 08:00 09:00, getting to Spring Wood 10:00- 11:00-ish, having a quick stop there and then setting off on the main loop. I would expect to get back to Spring Wood 17:00- 18:00-ish, and Hebden Bridge at 19:00- 20:00-ish. *** If anybody wants to join me, let me know by this evening. *** (I decided to delay my departure to spend less time in traffic both ways)

Last edited:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I sadly cannot make the 22nd as its my dads 80th , we will be having a get together, so will keep looking for any rides after June.
Hope the weather is better on the 22nd, and wonderful on the 28th as we do the Coast to Coast in the Day ride (20deg slightly over cast with a 25mph tail wind is the order of the day).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I sadly cannot make the 22nd as its my dads 80th , we will be having a get together, so will keep looking for any rides after June.
Hope the weather is better on the 22nd, and wonderful on the 28th as we do the Coast to Coast in the Day ride (20deg slightly over cast with a 25mph tail wind is the order of the day).
Enjoy the family do and your coast to coast ride!

I will definitely organise at least one forum ride a month from July to October, and maybe rides in November and/or December too if the weather is kind to us.

(As is probably obvious - I am being more fussy about what conditions I ride in these days. I don't mind being caught out by showers on a ride, but I am reluctant to set off on anything longer than 20 miles or so if the forecast is bad. That means all of my future forum rides are subject to last minute postponement.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Wow - today - what a great day for cycling!

I am just getting ready to do my recce ride and will write a report in 'Your Ride Today' (probably tomorrow, since I anticipate being a bit tired when I get home).

I hope we get a day like this for the delayed forum ride, on June 22nd.

Catch you later ... :hello:

Colin, which way round that route are you cycling, clockwise or anti-clockwise? I will either try and meet you at Whalley (clockwise) or Keasden (anti-clockwise) thanks.

Hi Colin, hope today's ride has gone well. Logged in to say I definitely won't be out tomorrow because of lack of mileage - only 100 miles since the Bowland ride at the end of February :blush: (have done a fair bit of climbing though! :becool:). Now I see you have (wisely) postponed the ride. I'll let you know if I'm fit enough to turn out on 22nd, although I'll be on holiday in Portugal for ten of those days so I can't see that doing much for my fitness. :cheers:

Top Bottom