England : Lancashire Forum ride: Cross o' Greet, Wray, Bowland Knotts. Sat 30th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ok forum riders, here is advance notice of my next CC ride ... :hello:

(I am going to be busy with visits from family members for the next 2 weeks so I thought I'd start this thread now and dip back into it as and when I can.)

I worked out a very scenic route in the Forest of Bowland which I'd hoped to do as a forum ride last year but I ended up doing it solo a day early in sunshine rather than risk suffering in the bad weather which was forecast for the following day. This is not a route that would be nice in bad weather. It covers some very exposed and remote hills, as you will see from the taster photos below ...

The ride will start at 10:00 on Saturday, 30th May 2015 [NB I reserve the right to postpone the ride to the following Saturday if the weather lets us down on the 30th!] at Spring Wood visitor centre on the A671 above Whalley - LINK. Car parking is free all day, but note that there is a 2 m / 6' 6" height restriction barrier at the entrance.

The route is 103 km / 64 miles in length and there are some big hills to climb, some steep. Your bike must be in good working order. We could be miles from assistance or a phone signal if we have mechanical problems, so we need to be self-sufficient! We will not be riding quickly - I estimate an overall speed (including a good cafe stop) of 13-16 kph / 8-10 mph. We will ride at the speed of the slowest, but you really ought to be confident of achieving that kind of average speed over hilly terrain.

The cafe stop is planned to be at Bridge House Farm tearooms at Wray. This is at the 49 km point after the first lot of big hills have been dealt with.

Map
Greet Knotts 103 km loop map.gif

(We will do the loop clockwise - out via Slaidburn, back via Gisburn Forest.)

Greet Knotts 103 km loop profile.gif

Examples of the scenery ...

distant-yorkshire-dales-from-cow-ark-quiet-lane-jpg.47073.jpg

slaidburn-from-b6478-jpg.47075.jpg

cross-of-greet-climb-from-cross-of-greet-bridge-jpg.47076.jpg

pendle-hill-from-cross-of-greet-jpg.47082.jpg

pendle-hill-from-bowland-knotts-jpg.47081.jpg

So ... if you like that kind of thing, you'll love this ride. If you don't, you won't! :okay:

I'll edit this post later to add more details.

@Littgull has kindly volunteered to ferry me and my bike to Spring Wood again. Anybody who would care to join us, please post below! :smile:

Riders:
  • ColinJ
  • Littgull

Last edited:
U

User482

I can't make this ride, but know the route well. To anyone thinking of it, the scenery is stunning, roads are empty, and it's effing hilly. Do it!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

For those northern scenery lovers apparently concerned about suffering from altitude sickness on this ride, here is a less intimidating diagram showing the hills we will be tackling ... :okay:

Greet Knotts 103 km loop low profile.gif

I call it 'keeping a low profile', just like you lot are ... come on, don't be shy - this is a great route. It has something for everyone ...

... even llamas! :laugh:

ribble_valley_llamas.jpg

double_dd

Über Member
I'm interested. Depends on if I can get there on that day. Will update asap

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ouch! Sorry @ColinJ I didn't realise I'd created a clash with your ride.

As you planned yours first, if you want me to change my ride date let me know and of course I will do
I don't think any of your riders were planning to do my ride so there isn't much point unless we suddenly end up with lots of riders who want to do both rides.
I am having to work off grabbed public wifi until Plusnet finally connect me up next week so I probably won't be on CC much until then. Mean time, keep on signing up below and I will respond when online again.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, I finally have broadband again! (Somewhat annoyingly, I finally worked out what was stopping my phone working on 3G AFTER I no longer needed it. I had paid £12 for a data package to tide me over.)

So, any questions about this ride - fire away!

I am hoping that at least another 4 or 5 riders will join us on this spectacular route.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'll keep plugging away in the hope that some more victims participants can be found!

I don't know if it is the difficulty of getting a full day away from loved ones or work that is the problem, or maybe these rides appear too hard for many people? I just know that it seems much harder to get a decent turnout now than it was 3 or 4 years ago and I don't understand why. Suggestions on a postcard please, to the usual address, or just post below and explain it to me! :whistle:

I'm still hoping that my offline cycling pals Carrie and Julie will be coming along as they did on my previous forum ride to Glasson Dock. They should make their minds up soon.

Anyway, whatever the numbers, the ride will go ahead unless we have appalling weather on the 30th.

I'll drop back into this thread in a few days time to see if there is a late surge in interest. Meanwhile, I will be plotting the route of a 200 km forum ride in Cheshire, planned for late June. Details of that one will be revealed in a new ride thread after this Bowland ride has been completed.

Confirmed riders:
  • ColinJ
  • Littgull
Potential riders:
  • MikeW-71
  • double_dd
  • Carrie & Julie (non-CycleChat)

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hmmmmm; liking the looks of this ride and as I am in France at the moment with a suitable bike and due to return to GB next Wednesday...... :smile:
It would mean a very slow drive back home though, and spending an extra 3 nights dawdling around southern Ingerlund on the way. Will need to see how things pan out next week, and that of course includes keeping an eye on the weather :whistle:.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I don't know if it is the difficulty of getting a full day away from loved ones or work that is the problem, or maybe these rides appear too hard for many people? I just know that it seems much harder to get a decent turnout now than it was 3 or 4 years ago and I don't understand why. Suggestions on a postcard please, to the usual address, or just post below and explain it to me! :whistle:

Speaking for myself, I'd normally be up for this type of thing..... but Nicky's ride on the same day
a) Goes past my house;
b) Ends in a pub...

Seriously though, I know that a few of the "old guard" have not been riding much over the last few months, or in 1 or two cases I can think of have not been around much on CC.

Your routes may also be a bit off putting for the majority of leisure riders who I suspect will take one look at the distance/profile and quietly slink away shaking their heads whilst thinking you a raving nutter :smile:

As you are currently one of the few brave souls organising CC rides on a regular basis, I'd hate to see you lose heart. Personally I've enjoyed every single ride I've done with you and each one has taken me into areas I'd probably never have explored on my own in the company of some thoroughly decent people.

potsy

Rambler
Similar sentiments to Kestevan, always enjoy your rides Colin but have to be in good physical health to take part.
Unfortunately that time has passed for now, hopefully one day I'll be back.

I have just told Steve H about the ride, he's another that hasn't been cycling much but is now back on the bike.

Top Bottom