England : Lancashire Forum ride from Whalley: Glasson Dock Revisited - POSTPONED to Sat,18th April 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sam and I missed that right turn as we were somewhere between the leading group and the following. Ended up going left then right for a couple of extra miles before rejoining the Glasson Dock road.

The annual office "bash" in Manchester always seems to coincide with a ride so I will be staying in Town and keeping the alcohol level low so that I'm fit to drive back early on Saturday morning. Might actually consider a taxi back. Hmmmm.

My cycling buddy Alex can't make it, he will be at work.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't really fancy doing the extra miles up and down the A646 so I am planning to catch the train to Accrington and ride the last few miles in from there. The train should get in at 09:20 and it is only about 5 miles to Spring Wood so I should be able to do that in about 20 minutes and arrive around 09:45. Assuming the train is on time and I do not have any mechanical problems, I should arrive in good time. Just in case of problems though, @Globalti - is your ride phone number still xxxxx xxx 731?

A couple of my local cycling pals might join us. I am seeing them tomorrow and will tell them about the ride.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes that's the number. We will leave home at around 09.30 to ride the 5 miles or so to Whalley via The Nab so if you have a problem and need picking up, call me before we leave and we could come by car and collect you from wherever en route to Whalley.

All this assumes it's not going to be legging it down on Saturday! Foreacst only goes to Thursday and shows some fronts coming in slowly on that day so let's hope that by Saturday we'll be into clearer weather.

doughnut

Veteran
I've searched far and wide and found a weather forecast for Saturday which has no rain and hardly any wind. Not sure if we should be worried, but it also predicts that the wave height at the top of Longridge Fell will increase from 90cm to about 130cm through the day. Might be worth bringing a pair of wellies along.

longridge_weather.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I like that forecast.:thumbsup: Can I book that one rather than the Met Office one that currently shows rain for much of the day and wind gusting into the 30s.
Yes, the other forecasts are looking a bit dodgy, aren't they ... I am just hoping that the spell of bad weather is delayed, and that the nicer weather forecast for Wed to Fri lasts an extra 24 hours!

I will be wearing my new gore jacket regardless of the forecasts!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry to admit that if it's really wet we won't be coming. There's no joy in riding in rain all day; we live 3 miles from Whalley so we can do the Trough - Glasson Dock ride any time we fancy.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I will ask everybody on the list to confirm on Friday (when we should have a reliable forecast) whether or not they will be coming. If anybody else is still intending to ride then I will ride, but I would be a bit peeved to get out of bed early, spend £8.40 on the train, get wet riding from Accrington to the start at Spring Wood, and then discover that nobody has turned up!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I dont think I will be riding colin, not been feeling to good all week so I think I will give it a miss sorry :sad:
Sorry to hear that, Phil, but probably sensible!

I am going to devise a Plan B route, in case the full route looks too much for the conditions on the day. I'll post that below in case anybody wants details for their GPS.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Colin,

From Whalley you could go via Bashall Eves to Dunsop Bridge then back from there, turning right at the bridge a couple of miles south of DB for a small climb over to the Wild Boar Park and thence either on to Chipping and back via Longridge or more directly back via Walker Fold and Chaigley to Whalley. The shorter option is about 30 miles.

Top Bottom