England : Lancashire Forum ride from Whalley: Glasson Dock Revisited - POSTPONED to Sat,18th April 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The forecast is still looking grim! 20+ mph winds with gusts of 40+ mph and lots of rain ...

@Globalti, @SamR, @doughnut, @Littgull, @Accy cyclist, @Martin Archer, @skudupnorth, @Rickshaw Phil, @Mickthemove, @jazzkat

I am considering putting the ride back a week in the hope of better weather. I know that some of you would not be able to make a different date, but how would you feel about that?

(The otherwise lovely fast run down to the coast would be ruined by gusting cross headwinds and the return half of the ride would be into an horrendous headwind, and all with possibly torrential rain as well!)

Mickthemove

Über Member
Still hoping to be there Colin either day but as you say each time i check the weather apps it shouts "your having a laugh" at me :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Saturday 4 April would be fine with us and somebody has just told me that the long-term forecast for Easter is good. I expect my cycling buddy would join us as well.

doughnut

Veteran
Got relatives staying with us over Easter (and the Chorley Grand Prix is on that day and I was going to spectate), so I couldn't make it next weekend but I think you're right to think about postponing - it could turn out to be pretty nasty out there. I had already packed my snorkel and life jacket in the car just in case.

I will look out for your other forum rides later in the year and meet up with you then. But if you still decide to go ahead this weekend, I'll be there.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oh, I forgot it is Easter the following weekend and the weekend after that is the excellent Spring Into The Dales audax from Mytholmroyd.

I'll check the forecast again tomorrow and will make a decision by early afternoon. If I reschedule the ride, I will skip the Easter and SITD weekends and make it the 18th April. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Wasn't going to make a final decision until tomorrow but unless the forecast improves dramatically in the next 24 hours I'll be dropping out.

However, since there is talk about postponing the ride, the 18th would suit me and my brother will let me have his car for that day too.:okay: My caveat about the weather still applies but hopefully it'll be much better by then.:sun:

The forecast is still looking grim! 20+ mph winds with gusts of 40+ mph and lots of rain ...

@Globalti, @SamR, @doughnut, @Littgull, @Accy cyclist, @Martin Archer, @skudupnorth, @Rickshaw Phil, @Mickthemove, @jazzkat

I am considering putting the ride back a week in the hope of better weather. I know that some of you would not be able to make a different date, but how would you feel about that?

(The otherwise lovely fast run down to the coast would be ruined by gusting cross headwinds and the return half of the ride would be into an horrendous headwind, and all with possibly torrential rain as well!)

Hi Colin and All,

Yes, sadly the forecast looks lousy for Saturday. I could put up with heavy intermittent showers but a vicious headwind on the return leg would be no fun.

I'll be unavailable Easter weekend due to family commitments and won't know if I'm available for any of the remaining April weekends until after Easter. I may be a late (on the day) entry for SITD on 12th April but by no means not certain. I enjoyed it when I completed SITD 2 years ago.

I'll check in to see final decision for this Saturday and hope that a late much improved forecast has materialized.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I'd be crying off this weekend. I can feel a dose of man flu coming on so riding around in the rain wouldn't be a good idea anyhow.
I'm away next weekend so that would be a no too. I'll check my diary for 18th, but I'm pretty sure it'll be ok.

I have an alternative ride I can do so if you want to postpone it that is fine with me.

I am going down to Bristol for the bespoked bike show on the weekend 18th so will not be able to make the rerun, but I hope you have better weather for it than is expected tomorrow!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

[DAMN - sorry everyone - I forgot to actually post this! I wrote it this morning but got distracted ...]

OK chaps, the final straw for me is that the bottom bracket in my wet-weather bike (mudguard-equipped Basso) has packed up and the replacement will not arrive in time. I don't want to ride my Cannondale which I reserve strictly for good weather conditions.

So ... RIDE POSTPONED UNTIL SATURDAY, 18th APRIL!

Hopefully, we will get better weather for that date and many of you will be able to make it. Meanwhile, get your entries in for SITD on the 12th and I will see you there! :okay:

Top Bottom