England : Lancashire Forum ride from Whalley: Glasson Dock Revisited - POSTPONED to Sat,18th April 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did a ride from Llandudno to Manchester when this ride was cancelled, the rain persisted for 20 mins at the start, then we had bright sunshine in Wales! Just to let us know we were getting close to Manchester, it rained from Lymm all the way home. The wind was great, we had a tail wind for the majority of the ride!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did a ride from Llandudno to Manchester when this ride was cancelled, the rain persisted for 20 mins at the start, then we had bright sunshine in Wales! Just to let us know we were getting close to Manchester, it rained from Lymm all the way home. The wind was great, we had a tail wind for the majority of the ride!
It was windy all day here. The rain was off and on all day, and some of that was really heavy. I am happy with my decision. I hope that conditions improve for SITD and the postponed ride.

doughnut

Veteran
Yes, this ride was about as long as any ride I've done and though I'm pretty confident over the distance, the wind and rain would have slowed me up towards the end. Probably would have been a bit miserable if I was soaking wet into the bargain. Good decision Colin, looking forward to the 18th - right now I've got a clash with something else that day but hopefully I can sort that out soon.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It's probably time to sign up for the rescheduled ride [Saturday, 18th April, 2015], so post below - 'Definite' or 'Maybe'. I'll add the names I already know about ...

Definite:
  • ColinJ
  • Martin Archer

Maybe:
  • doughnut (Sailing)
  • Rickshaw Phil

Last edited:

doughnut

Veteran
Sorry Colin, my sailing club has an open day that day and they are short of sailors to take visitors out. I normally help out each year, but thought there would be enough volunteers for me to miss it this time, but turns out they are struggling so afraid I've got to miss out on your ride this time. Definitely will catch up with you later on in the year though.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry Colin, my sailing club has an open day that day and they are short of sailors to take visitors out. I normally help out each year, but thought there would be enough volunteers for me to miss it this time, but turns out they are struggling so afraid I've got to miss out on your ride this time. Definitely will catch up with you later on in the year though.
Oh well, catch you on one of the other rides then ... Have a good, er, sail! :hello:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

There must be something really exciting going on that weekend that I hadn't spotted! :laugh:

OI, YOU LOT ... IT'S A LOVELY ROUTE, COME AND JOIN US! :hello:

There must be something really exciting going on that weekend that I hadn't spotted! :laugh:

OI, YOU LOT ... IT'S A LOVELY ROUTE, COME AND JOIN US! :hello:
Maybe we are trying too hard?
I have no idea what is going on, leading rides, and in particular going to some effort to make sure they will hopefully be enjoyed by all is an entirely altruistic undertaking. The numbers on CC are growing fast but it is only a small proportion that have any interest in riding with others socially. We did ask some work colleagues who ride but not CC members and they were all for coming with us. I don't get it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Maybe we are trying too hard?
I have no idea what is going on, leading rides, and in particular going to some effort to make sure they will hopefully be enjoyed by all is an entirely altruistic undertaking. The numbers on CC are growing fast but it is only a small proportion that have any interest in riding with others socially. We did ask some work colleagues who ride but not CC members and they were all for coming with us. I don't get it.
Indeed!

A friend accused me of being "sad" for spending so much time on the forum. In the past, I could always counter that by saying that it was a means to an end, and that through the forum I was doing regular rides with lots of nice people but it almost feels like that time has passed and I can't quite work out why.

I see more and more people out on their bikes, and the numbers here on CC are increasing, so why is interest in the forum rides decreasing? :whistle:

Maybe everybody else is still getting a good turnout and it is just our rides that are lacking numbers!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Indeed!

A friend accused me of being "sad" for spending so much time on the forum. In the past, I could always counter that by saying that it was a means to an end, and that through the forum I was doing regular rides with lots of nice people but it almost feels like that time has passed and I can't quite work out why.

I see more and more people out on their bikes, and the numbers here on CC are increasing, so why is interest in the forum rides decreasing? :whistle:

Maybe everybody else is still getting a good turnout and it is just our rides that are lacking numbers!

It's an interesting question. It's noticeable on my ride that I have a disproportionately large number who ride quite a lot of CC rides. I think there just isn't the tradition of regular group rides in North England and the Midlands. In the South it's a very different situation. Lots of rides, lots of fun, lots of regulars. I am somewhat envious of their situation and that is one of the reasons I'm doing my ride; to try to create a critical mass of regular Northern rides and regular Northern riders. I just hope it doesn't lash it down on the day or I'll never see most of them again.

If mine goes really well I'm thinking of something like Leeds - Scarborough (with an optional N Yorks Moors additional loop) for the future. We'll see

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I am doing more walking than cycling these days, I find I can fit it into my day better. Also the problem with going to do rides a long way off is that you have to drive there before you start the ride and I don't really use the car very much over the weekends these days so my rides tend to be more locally based at the moment.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am doing more walking than cycling these days, I find I can fit it into my day better. Also the problem with going to do rides a long way off is that you have to drive there before you start the ride and I don't really use the car very much over the weekends these days so my rides tend to be more locally based at the moment.
So that's a 'no, thanks' from you then! :laugh:

Are you even doing SITD this year (this Sunday, Apr 12th)? :whistle:

Top Bottom