England : Lancashire Forum ride from Whalley: Glasson Dock Revisited - POSTPONED to Sat,18th April 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Indeed!

A friend accused me of being "sad" for spending so much time on the forum. In the past, I could always counter that by saying that it was a means to an end, and that through the forum I was doing regular rides with lots of nice people but it almost feels like that time has passed and I can't quite work out why.

I see more and more people out on their bikes, and the numbers here on CC are increasing, so why is interest in the forum rides decreasing? :whistle:

Maybe everybody else is still getting a good turnout and it is just our rides that are lacking numbers!

Registration numbers on CC will increase because almost no one is ever struck off.

But I suspect the number of active users may be decreasing.

Forums in general appear not to be as busy as they used to be.

I think one reason is the rising number of other places - twitbook etc - where computer users can interact with each other.

Cycling has increased markedly in London in the last 20 years, but I see no evidence of an increase near me in the North East.

If the above is somewhere near the mark, it would translate into a decline in numbers for forum rides.

There certainly appears to be nothing wrong with the product, all those who go on a forum ride seem to enjoy it.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Sounds like the walking is keeping you pretty fit then!

Well thats why I am doing that more, cycling doesnt really make me lose weight and I seem to be getting much fitter much faster walking. Usually if I had only done this much cycling at this time of year I wouldnt have been doing 61 miles like I did on monday and not with the hills thrown in.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Sorry I've not come back to you Colin, been away for a couple of days. Put me down as a definite. My other half is meeting friends for coffee so that's my 'pass' for the day sorted!
Is it a free car park at the meeting point?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry I've not come back to you Colin, been away for a couple of days. Put me down as a definite. My other half is meeting friends for coffee so that's my 'pass' for the day sorted!
Is it a free car park at the meeting point?
Excellent, and yes!

One thing to note though is that there is a 2 metre/6' 6" height limit on vehicles, enforced by an overhead barrier. If that is a problem, just nip across the lights and park on the road down into Whalley.

Shaun

Founder
Ah, but Pale Rider was suggesting that the numbers remaining active might be falling.

Facebook and forums are different, and whilst Facebook is popular and people spend a lot of time on it, it's focused on the individual and connections to other individuals. Forums, conversely, offer a community of like-minded people (usually) centered around a shared interest in a particular subject, which is appealing if you're passionate about cycling, computers, gardening, cooking, etc. and want to share that passion with others.

On averge people are actually spending more time on CycleChat per visit than they were 12 months ago and we have similar numbers to last year for active members (activity changes with the seasons / weather!!). :okay:

Pjays666

Über Member
Whilst I cant make this ride I will try for another later in the year. I am on a ctc ride weekend in the lakes on 18th but enjoy and hope the numbers increase. I will be doing the outward leg in May to get to morecambe for way of the roses.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Facebook and forums are different, and whilst Facebook is popular and people spend a lot of time on it, it's focused on the individual and connections to other individuals. Forums, conversely, offer a community of like-minded people (usually) centered around a shared interest in a particular subject, which is appealing if you're passionate about cycling, computers, gardening, cooking, etc. and want to share that passion with others.

On averge people are actually spending more time on CycleChat per visit than they were 12 months ago and we have similar numbers to last year for active members (activity changes with the seasons / weather!!). :okay:

Thanks for the reply @Shaun

I appreciate exact numbers come under the 'commercially sensitive' category, but CC is doing well to be holding its own

Part of the reason for CC's relative success is, I believe, because you do attempt to maintain the site and keep it as fresh as possible by introducing new features - trending threads is one I recently noticed.

Your point about facebook being more one to one communication is well made, although my Sunday morning cycling group functions well enough on facebook as a closed member group.

I believe contribution numbers to forums are being influenced by the wider use of 'consume' rather than 'create' gadgets.

Smart phones and to a lesser extent tablets are better suited to reading, looking and listening.

Typing a hundred or two words and uploading pics is much easier on increasingly unfashionable laptops or tower computers.

SamR

Rider on the Lancastrian storm
IMG_9397.JPG

Guess where I went today? Took a friend with me, too. (I'm on the right)

SamR

Rider on the Lancastrian storm
Over the Trough of Bowland! (I recognise that as the old boundary stone between Lancashire the West Riding of Yorkshire.)

So, Sam, are you, your dad and your pal intending to turn out next Saturday? :whistle:

You're correct!

Probably not my pal, but I'll see what I can do. Think I might have prior arrangements next weekend, sorry.

Top Bottom